Dogs on Quandary?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Dogs on Quandary?

Post by kaiman »

Timothy wrote:
mtn_hound wrote:Lol, never could've seen this rant coming...
and your point is?
I think he's kidding, and don't think that comment was directed at you personally Timothy. Ask any of the old vets on this site and they will tell you war stories about hard fought battles on threads about dogs and dog owners on 14ers.com. It's no surprise to some of us that this one may be headed into the gutter.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

LOL - I'm not sure the dog is having as good of a time as the owners think he is...
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

rpdawes wrote:
Your reasoning sounds faulty.

Some people would be scared of dogs on the loose. How in the world can they know in advance whether those dogs are aggressive or not. Dogs are different like people. Human size does not matter when pit bulls are not well trained.

Will your voice command work when your dog meets a mountain lion?

In any case, be considerate of others and put your dog on a leash whenever you are out hiking.
It's not my responsibility whether people are scared of a dog that is with me, whether it's on or off leash, unless it is physically attacking them. I can't control other people's emotions or anxieties.

I'd MUCH rather the dog be off leash if a mountain lion is around. I'd rather have the dog be attacked and killed than me or another person.
Timothy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Timothy »

Ptglhs wrote:It's not my responsibility whether people are scared of a dog that is with me, whether it's on or off leash, unless it is physically attacking them. I can't control other people's emotions or anxieties.
I beg to differ. As the owner, It IS your responsibility. The sheriffs offices I have spoken with have all said that if someone feels threatened, they have the right to use whatever means they have to prevent or stop an attack. After multiple confrontations with aggressive dogs, I have reached the end of my leash.
שְׁמַע יִשְׂרָאֵל יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵינוּ יְהוָה אֶחָֽד׃‎
Ptglhs
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

You have the right to use force to prevent or stop an attack. That's completely different than *feeling* something because of a dog, or a person, or a animal, or a cloud in the sky.

How's this for a 'what if' scenario:

I have a dog (on or off leash is irrelevant in this scenario). I pass someone who is terrified of dogs and they feel threatened, so they take out a weapon and kill the dog. I feel threatened, because they just killed a dog. So I kill them.

Is all of that okay with you? Both of us *felt* threatened so we were clearly justified in using deadly force.

No one here has been able to offer a compelling logical or moral reason for mandating keeping all dogs on leashes. It's just their personal preference. Much as leaving a dog off leash, until it does something to mandate restraint, is mine. I can understand it's some people's 'well, that's just what you should do.' It's their subjective manners. Agree to disagree.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I pass someone who is terrified of dogs and they feel threatened, so they take out a weapon and kill the dog.
If you re just passing by, then no, they aren't justified, but if the dog is charging towards them, then they are.

I don't carry a weapon myself, but if I ever do it will be for dogs, especially those big sheep dogs. In the wild I have seen bears, mountain lions, lions, tigers, hippopotamus, etc, and have never felt threatened. Several dogs however, have scared me. On sheep dog wanted to rip my five year old son apart, but luckily there was a boulder to climb up on. If it weren't for that boulder, I hate to think of what may have happened.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
hessma
14ers: 10 
13ers: 4 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

This thread proves one thing...people and dogs are unpredictable.
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

hessma wrote:This thread proves one thing...people and dogs are unpredictable.
You've got that right.

- Joe Stettner

- Andy Kirkpatrick
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Ptglhs wrote:I feel threatened, because they just killed a dog. So I kill them.
If you think the person that just shot your aggressive dog won't be willing to aim his gun at the owner of the dog that just freaked him out, you're clueless.

And he just might be a better shot than you.

After training dogs for a decade in the Marine Corps, I'm aware of the damage a uncontrolled dog can do. If your off leash dog threatens me, or mine. a trekking pole, or bear spray, or a niner is heading his way. Afterwards, we'll see what you have to say. That's not bluster. Suppurating dog wounds are no fun to deal with because some nimrod likes his "harmless puppy" running free.

See the definition of suppurating.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
mtn_hound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn_hound »

Kai's right, nothing personal. There have been so many of these, I didn't really have to open the thread to know what direction it was going to head. Reading the title was enough
kaiman wrote:
Timothy wrote:
mtn_hound wrote:Lol, never could've seen this rant coming...
and your point is?
I think he's kidding, and don't think that comment was directed at you personally Timothy. Ask any of the old vets on this site and they will tell you war stories about hard fought battles on threads about dogs and dog owners on 14ers.com. It's no surprise to some of us that this one may be headed into the gutter.

Kai
Ptglhs
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

If you can't follow along with a scenario as described, you're clueless. See the definition of clueless. While you're at it, see the definition of condescending.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

Ptglhs wrote:If you can't follow along with a scenario as described, you're clueless. See the definition of clueless. While you're at it, see the definition of condescending.
I suspect that you got the definition of clueless from a dog's dictionary.