Sherman Hilltop Mine

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MarcusCO
Trip Reports (0)

Sherman Hilltop Mine

Post by MarcusCO »

I went up Sherman on August 4 and was sad to see that the iconic Hilltop Mine is gone. A few of the low buildings are still there, but the main building is scattered across the hillside. I was just wondering if anyone knows what happened to it. I couldn't find any information online about a collapse.
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Sherman Hilltop Mine

Post by denvermikey »

Age + consistent high winds = fall down go boom. Happened a few seasons ago.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
MarcusCO
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MarcusCO »

Thanks! I've seen quite a few pictures of it still intact in recent posts on various websites, so I was confused. I guess they're just using old pictures.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

That area gets some incredibly high winds, so it's amazing it stood for as long as it did. It's certainly a credit to those old hardrock miners for building their stuff really well.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Tory Wells wrote:It's certainly a credit to those old hardrock miners for building their stuff really well.
Yep. Solid stuff they did. Although part of the reason that they stand so long is how incredibly dry they are most of the year. The same building in a wetter area would have crashed long ago.

The mining building on top of Horseshoe is another one probably not long removed from failure. The two times I've been up there you can see its days are numbered.

In less that a couple of decades, most of the old mining buildings constructed of wood will be no more. Take pictures while they last.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Feeling nostalgic. Old shack at Hilltop Mine was wiped out in the winter of 2011/12...
HilltopCondo.jpg
HilltopCondo.jpg (85.85 KiB) Viewed 2997 times
planet54
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

I came across this old Hilltop Mine photo that has been " shoeboxed " for years . A little bit of history for ya. But because I don't write things down I can't give a date. Maybe late 80's to early 90's.I haven't seen very many photos with that ramp section in place.
Hilltop Mine.jpg
Hilltop Mine.jpg (168.48 KiB) Viewed 2583 times
Last edited by planet54 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

I read somewhere that the cable tram system was an engineering marvel at its time, running from the one side of the ridge to the other.

Always cool to see photos of what used to be.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Barnold41 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:40 pm I read somewhere that the cable tram system was an engineering marvel at its time, running from the one side of the ridge to the other.

Always cool to see photos of what used to be.
nmhfm-210.jpg
nmhfm-210.jpg (83.17 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
Photograph showing the aerial tramway that ran from the Hilltop Mine to the mill in Leavick, Park County, Colorado. The Hilltop Mine near the top of Mount Sheridan was discovered in 1886 and sold to Felix Leavick in 1892. The mill was built in 1892 to process silver ores from the Hilltop and Last Chance mines. A 13,000 ft. long aerial tram was constructed to transport ore from Hilltop Mine to the mill. The collapse of the silver market in 1893 resulted in the closing of the mines and the mill. They reopened in 1895, and the following year the Denver, South Park and Hilltop Railroad built a twelve-mile long narrow gauge line from Hill Top Junction a mile south of Fairplay to the mill, improving transportation of the ores to the smelters. It was not until 1896 that the community that had grown up around the mill was officially named Leavick. At the peak of its boom, Leavick had a population of about 1,000 people.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Rijaca... now that's a pretty cool pic!
There are remnants of a narrow gauge rail below Hilltop mine. I wonder if the rails ran all the way to Leavick. Also, evidence of a tram or something from the winter trailhead heading between White and Sherman. That area also has abandoned vehicles. Not sure if they were from mining operations or just yahoos. I recall a truck, probably early 1960s, and a couple others. A pretty fascinating area if you're into that sort of thing.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

mtree wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:03 am There are remnants of a narrow gauge rail below Hilltop mine.
There were rails there that were the remains of a mine car tipple as I recall. The ore was pushed in cars on those tracks into the hopper that loaded the buckets that went down the hill on the tram.

The Colorado and Southern, the successor to the Denver, South Park and Pacific, went to Leavick but not above it. https://mountainscholar.org/handle/11124/9690?show=full

Here is a picture of the Leavick tramway:

nmhfm-354.jpg
nmhfm-354.jpg (86.72 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

That's nuts!!! Hah.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.