Where did the monsoon go?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scary_Canary
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Where did the monsoon go?

Post by Scary_Canary »

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:27 pm the earth is a pizza, global warming is caused by the pizza going into the oven, and the moon is made of delicious cheese which will be sprinkled all over us once we're done baking.
Are you implying.... The earth is flat? :lol:
The risk I took was calculated, but I'm terrible at math.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

Problem is: Much of the GW debate is fueled by events or trends that are immediately credited to global warming without the slightest proof. Its just a knee jerk. Its brought on by a world view that first accepts the premise and then attributes all to the world view. If I believe trolls are eating my garden vegetables at night, then all half eaten vegetables are due to trolls. It proves my premise.
If it rains too much, its GW, if there is a drought, its GW. If its normal, well, you can't attribute local weather to GW. Its a fix.

Frankly, you Coloradoans might want to worry more about prairie dogs. I think Denver may elect one for mayor soon. But of course we all know why they are taking over the city, right?
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Rollie Free wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:29 pm Frankly, you Coloradoans might want to worry more about prairie dogs. I think Denver may elect one for mayor soon. But of course we all know why they are taking over the city, right?
Not enough coyotes, foxes, bobcats, golden eagles, hawks, and rattlesnakes.

We suck at co-existing with other species for the most part except for maybe pigeons and rats. They love us. Well, dogs and cats do alright too. And rabbits.

Wasn't aware that the city of Denver was being infested with prairie dogs by the way. Maybe in the unsightly sprawl outside of Denver that shouldn't exist, but wasn't aware of any armies of prairie dogs marching down colfax.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Rollie Free wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:29 pm Problem is: Much of the GW debate is fueled by events or trends that are immediately credited to global warming without the slightest proof.
Here ya go... https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Brought to you by the same peeps that put men on the moon. Oh wait, you probably believe that is a hoax too.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Kevin Baker wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:21 pmI remember the summer of 1980 as a kid in Kansas very vividly where there was no urban heat island effect going on. My dad kept meticulous weather records for each day and recorded 58 days of 100 degree temps or hotter at a time when CO2 emissions were much lower than they are today. This was widespread throughout the Midwest. Imagine if that were to happen to day. There would be mass hysteria.
So, just cause it got hot that summer you don't think the Earth is warming due to us?

Also, there wasn't hype over that summer's heat, like it would draw today as you are inferring, because we didn't grasp just how much we were impacting the Earth's climate back then!

As long as humans keep living their life to their utmost convenience with 0 regard to waste or impact, the Earth will keep warming and we will royally f**k this beautiful place up.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

rijaca wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:49 pm
Rollie Free wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:29 pm Problem is: Much of the GW debate is fueled by events or trends that are immediately credited to global warming without the slightest proof.
Here ya go... https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Brought to you by the same peeps that put men on the moon. Oh wait, you probably believe that is a hoax too.
Finally. Or at least this is the first post I've seen in this debate (I've browsed most but not all the posts...) that mentions the Antarctic ice core data. Pretty compelling conclusions based on data sampling, as I understand it, 800,000 years of ice cores. Worth a hard, careful look. The debates about the Dust Bowl, etc. are mere blips in time in comparison.

Another argument I never hear raised is just plain ol' common sense: we've been belching things into the atmosphere since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, say 1850>. Sure, good stuff came out of that, but all those decades of pollution...there was no negative consequence? None? Really? It just defies common sense that there would be no negative effect.

I can't believe I'm even posting this, I try to avoid political-zealotry-disguised-as-rational-debate posts. But c'mon...there's nothing to global warning? Really? Ugh...

-Tom
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

TomPierce wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:28 pmI can't believe I'm even posting this, I try to avoid political-zealotry-disguised-as-rational-debate posts. But c'mon...there's nothing to global warning? Really? Ugh...
Fret not Tom, I hear it from non believers of climate change all the time...it's cool, the Earth will correct itself and it goes through phases.

I.e. I'm just gonna keep doing my thing and not give a flying about the Earth cause I'm no one and my impact is so little ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Scott P wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:18 pm
1980 was very hot in Kansas, but I call BS on the 58 days. Before posting that comment I checked the 1980 weather data for all of the typically hottest locations in Kansas. None of them equaled 58 days of 100 to 100+ days or even came that close. Out of the typically hottest locations in Kansas, the most I could find in 1980 was 47 days at Wellington. Here is a screen shot from my phone showing the data for Wellington:

Screenshot_20190820-230029_Chrome.jpg

There were more than 2000 weather stations in Kansas in 1980. Although I didn't check all of the stations, I checked all of the stations that typically record the highest temperatures in Kansas. While it might be possible that some locations without an official weather stations might have experienced more 100 to 100+ days than those at Wellington (and it's possible that I missed checking one that exceeded 47), 58 days is extremely unlikely. Either the 58 is a bogus claim or the temperatures were not recorded correctly. Given the amount of data available, the chances of anything besides those two possibilities are extremely unlikely. That's why I asked where in Kansas were the readings taken.

Can you show me data from any Kansas weather station that showed more than 50 days of 100 to 100+ temperatures in the summer of 1980?
Medicine Lodge, Kansas- 51 days of 100 or hotter in 1980. (Month breakdown- June- 8, July- 25, August- 13, September- 5). Of note- Alva, Oklahoma recorded 68 days of 100 or hotter in 1980; (probably 69 days but looks like data is missing on a day in August that almost certainly hit 100 degrees). Hardtner, Kansas lies about halfway between Alva and Medicine Lodge (probably slightly closer to Alva), seems like there is a fighting chance that they might have hit 58 days there. I will send you the data in a private message/email as the pdf won't link here and I don't want to pollute the thread with that many screen shots.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

Rollie Free wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:29 pm Problem is: Much of the GW debate is fueled by events or trends that are immediately credited to global warming without the slightest proof. Its just a knee jerk. Its brought on by a world view that first accepts the premise and then attributes all to the world view. If I believe trolls are eating my garden vegetables at night, then all half eaten vegetables are due to trolls. It proves my premise.
If it rains too much, its GW, if there is a drought, its GW. If its normal, well, you can't attribute local weather to GW. Its a fix.

Frankly, you Coloradoans might want to worry more about prairie dogs. I think Denver may elect one for mayor soon. But of course we all know why they are taking over the city, right?
The real problem is that a lot people are just uneducated about the subject. A Geology or environmental science course will give you just about all the info you need to understand. No offense here by the way. You just mentioned global warming and that's not the issue. Climate change is, which is what we're contributing to. The earth has been warming since the last ice age. There have been hundreds of warming events in the 4.6 billion years of earth's existence. The fact is that since we've industrialized, that warming has spiked more than if we hadn't gone through that progression.
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I routinely hope for a large meteorite impact, or supervolcano eruption, or nuclear war. Anything to both change the composition of the atmosphere so the planet will cool and reduce the number people by a few billion. (I'd rather hope we pull our collective heads out of our asses, live more simply, stop burning so many fossil fuels, and go to a -1% population growth rate for a while, but I think the 1st 3 are more realistic).
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

jerseybrian wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:04 pm
Rollie Free wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:29 pm Problem is: Much of the GW debate is fueled by events or trends that are immediately credited to global warming without the slightest proof. Its just a knee jerk. Its brought on by a world view that first accepts the premise and then attributes all to the world view. If I believe trolls are eating my garden vegetables at night, then all half eaten vegetables are due to trolls. It proves my premise.

The real problem is that a lot people are just uneducated about the subject. A Geology or environmental science course will give you just about all the info you need to understand. No offense here by the way. You just mentioned global warming and that's not the issue. Climate change is, which is what we're contributing to. The earth has been warming since the last ice age. There have been hundreds of warming events in the 4.6 billion years of earth's existence. The fact is that since we've industrialized, that warming has spiked more than if we hadn't gone through that progression.
Maybe you want to 'educate' this crowd. The 'appeal to authority' argument is generally considered fallacious.

https://www.ucsusa.org/our-work/global- ... scienceGhh
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

Rollie Free wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:48 pm
jerseybrian wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:04 pm

Maybe you want to 'educate' this crowd. The 'appeal to authority' argument is generally considered fallacious.

https://www.ucsusa.org/our-work/global- ... scienceGhh
I wouldn't say geology falls under that. It's strict facts of the oldest things we know. I'm just saying even a basic understanding of that will allow people to understand what's going on.
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs