Princeton from the bottom?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ECF55
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Princeton from the bottom?

Post by ECF55 »

Hello all. I'm an East Coaster and don't know when I'll be back in Colorado for my next 14er (I have bagged two 14ers to date--Elbert and Yale). I travel with the wife and kids, so I tend to be schedule-limited on my vacations in Colorado and settle for peaks that are easiest to execute.

I also have a weird fascination with wanting to hike all the way up mountains so that I can look at the peak from a distance and know that "I did that". Maybe it's my Midwest upbringing and the dearth of topography from my hometown?

Anyway, Mt Princeton is conveniently close to Princeton Hot Springs. It is a very attractive mountain that really springs up from the valley. It has very nice views from the top. Everyone complains about the rocks. And Princeton can be hiked from the Upper or Lower Trailheads, but the "path" between the Lower and Upper is obviously mountain road and not trail.

A few questions for the community:
1. Is the section between the Lower Trailhead and the Radio Antennas so bad/boring that it should be avoided at all costs?
2. Are there any safety concerns with hiking on the mountain road (in the dark)? Is there enough space for a car and a hiker, or do cars drive so fast that there is a chance of being hit?
3. Is there enough afternoon traffic to hitch a ride down the mountain (and shave off descent time)?

Happy to hear any stories/comments from folks that were similarly crazy to hike Princeton "from the bottom".
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Princeton from the bottom?

Post by Ptglhs »

It's not bad, but it is boring. Also, it's usually a dry route outside of late spring/early summer so you'll need to bring enough water for 13.5 miles, or bring a campstove so you can melt the snow you'll find at higher elevations.

Cars aren't going that fast. The road is narrow and windy and in most places single lane (for cars). People drive relatively slowly. Obviously bring a lamp and reflective vest.

Depends on what time of year, and day of the week you're planning on going. Summer weekends there will be plenty of people offering you rides both directions.

Princeton is a slog and not very attractive IMO. "Bottom" is relative. Just because you're hiking from the valley floor doesn't mean it's the bottom. Hawaii volcanoes from sea level might count though! There are a lot of mountains in CO which are a lot more scenic than Princeton IMO: Pikes from Barr, longer, more elevation gain, but you hike from "the bottom" and cross over several streams and through forests on a trail. Silverheels south slopes: start at the stream crossing and you still have a very bottomy feel, and I doubt you'll see another person the whole day. I realize you didn't ask for alternatives. Hope this helps!
Last edited by Ptglhs on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

Depending on the time of year, you might not be able to drive all the way to the radio towers.
justiner
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

From the hot springs to the lower trailhead, the road up is actually a part of the Colorado Trail, so it's hiked quiet often. Get a very early start.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

I concur with what people have already said. Hiking the road is not dangerous, just boring. Driving it however, can be terrifying since it is so narrow and there are occasional steep drop-offs on one side. I took someone up on their offer of a ride to the bottom after summitting one time, and as I looked out the passenger side window, I realized I had made a mistake.

Once you get past the road there is some decent scenery at some points. Overall it is just a long class 1 hike. I liked it the first time I summitted but that may have been because I had been turned back twice before that due to weather and partners.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
justiner
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

justiner wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:05 am From the hot springs to the lower trailhead, the road up is actually a part of the Colorado Trail, so it's hiked quiet often. Get a very early start.
Also an option: ride a bike from the hot springs! It's realistic to ride all the way to the final trail junction @~11,800'. Makes that downhill extremely fun.
strayster2
14ers: 58 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by strayster2 »

ECF55 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:04 am
I also have a weird fascination with wanting to hike all the way up mountains so that I can look at the peak from a distance and know that "I did that". Maybe it's my Midwest upbringing and the dearth of topography from my hometown?
Nice to know there's other people out there like this. If you're into this, definitely check out doing Blanca from the bottom. Arguably the most impressive massif in the state.

Princeton wasn't particularly bad or boring or busy. Hitching a ride down may be hit or miss, depending on timing, but I'd say your chances of hitching a ride are good.
Cide
14ers: 54  5 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cide »

The lower section is boring but in the dark, just miles to be eaten.

Minimal danger of being hit. The road is just packed enough w/ whoops, rocks and turns that nobody can really go fast enough to take you by surprise (on 4 wheels). You should hear them coming.

I rode my KLR 650 up and came down pretty fast but dual sporters tend to be just as attentive to their surroundings as people hiking the TH roads.

A Saturday in July/August should be sufficient for reliably finding a ride down, the Sawatch are popular enough that you will always see people then.
"Salients in the Void"
Permitting the CO 14ers, A Slow March to a Sad Future.
ECF55
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ECF55 »

This all makes sense. Thank you all for the input!
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

ECF55 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:04 am Happy to hear any stories/comments from folks that were similarly crazy to hike Princeton "from the bottom".
It's not 'crazy' -- I (and others here) think driving slowly on bumpy roads to save a few miles of 'hiking' is more crazy (or silly, at least).
The road to Mt. Princeton is still quite a beautiful spot to amble around, all things considered.
justiner wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:05 am From the hot springs to the lower trailhead, the road up is actually a part of the Colorado Trail, so it's hiked quiet often. Get a very early start.
Also an option: ride a bike from the hot springs! It's realistic to ride all the way to the final trail junction @~11,800'. Makes that downhill extremely fun.
This! My brother-in-law and I did this a few years ago, and it was a fun day, early September when the leaves were just starting to change. He's not big into long/endurance stuff but was up for whatever that day.
We continued back on the CO trail further north, and looped back on some flat ranch road, suggested in an old "Falcon" guide to CO mountain biking.
It was hot and tiring by the end, but at that point it made it feel more significant/prominent.
When you're up by the hot springs, you're already up a bit out of the valley and it starts to feel like you're up the mountain.
A truly aesthetic effort would just start and end from town (Eddyline), and then the beer would taste pretty good.
I can't remember if you can see Mt. Princeton from the hot springs, though? If so, that would be a satisfying soak and tradeoff with the family if you stayed there. (It would 'sell' better than if you told your wife about how you drove up to the beautiful hot springs and then started your hike :-D )
ECF55 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:04 am I also have a weird fascination with wanting to hike all the way up mountains so that I can look at the peak from a distance and know that "I did that".
Is it weirder, then, to have a fascination hiking all the way up and down mountains so you really know you did it? :P
I do get the trying-to-sneak-things-in with family bit, though, where they can hang out in town and you're back around lunch...
As far as 14ers destinations, Quandary works well for that, possibly Sherman. Pikes or Evans, too, if you're up for a hitch back or having the family meet you. (Pikes from town is an especially satisfying and unique opportunity, as far as 14ers go). Enjoy!
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

madbuck wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:00 pm It's not 'crazy' -- I (and others here) think driving slowly on bumpy roads to save a few miles of 'hiking' is more crazy (or silly, at least).
Everyone has their own perspective. I have no interest in hiking on a road I can easily drive. I prefer to hike in places that vehicles cannot go.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

IntrepidXJ wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:19 pm Everyone has their own perspective.... I prefer to hike in places that vehicles cannot go.
Agree with those two points, cheers!