The 13ers FKT Project

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: The 13ers FKT Project

Post by Mtnman200 »

Tornadoman wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:19 pm
angry wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:45 am
druid2112 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:42 am I would throw a bomb through the bedroom window into this inane thread if I could, starting right from the first post.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Please don't stop with this thread. At least 80% of threads need to be blown up!
I’m with Andrew on this. Bombs away, Bill!
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Mtnman200 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:21 pm
Tornadoman wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:19 pm
angry wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:45 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Please don't stop with this thread. At least 80% of threads need to be blown up!
I’m with Andrew on this. Bombs away, Bill!
LIBERATE 14ERS.COM!
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
jkirk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jkirk »

TravelingMatt wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:48 am Oh hell, I even wrote this, and stand by it:
TravelingMatt wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:52 pm If you're hiking a lot in winter, you can't really have a job and probably don't even want to have a house.
I wonder what this means for the top two all-time in winter ascents by over 1200 ascents who have had no gaps in full-time employment in that period and just purchased their third home?: https://listsofjohn.com/winter

:-k
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

jkirk wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:52 pm
TravelingMatt wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:48 am Oh hell, I even wrote this, and stand by it:
TravelingMatt wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:52 pm If you're hiking a lot in winter, you can't really have a job and probably don't even want to have a house.
I wonder what this means for the top two all-time in winter ascents by over 1200 ascents who have had no gaps in full-time employment in that period and just purchased their third home?: https://listsofjohn.com/winter

Nice humble brag :)

While you're here, how long did it take you to finish the 13ers because, let's be honest, that's probably the FKT?
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Sorting that thing by 13K+ might be more relevant to Matt's point in the context of this thread, John!

Edit: Can't figure out how to do all and sort by unique 13ers, but a quick perusing has Ken Nolan at 368 (mostly grid work and cents), SarahT at 299, Jean 137, Kevin Baker at 106, Homie at 100 (mostly grid), Dwight 96, Boggy at 84 (possibly outdated), and Furthermore at 80. Eagle eye might have a high count too.
I'd guess Sarah takes the cake for unique 13ers, followed by whatever Boggy's actual count is.
jkirk wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:52 pm I wonder what this means for the top two all-time in winter ascents by over 1200 ascents who have had no gaps in full-time employment in that period and just purchased their third home?: https://listsofjohn.com/winter
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
jkirk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jkirk »

Nice humble brag :)

While you're here, how long did it take you to finish the 13ers because, let's be honest, that's probably the FKT?
:lol: I had a hard time not taking issue with the comment being posted more than once with added emphasis of the "stand by it" comment. Not even close on the 13er FKT - 11 years. I did a lot of 13ers early on before I became more focused and even thought it was a possibility. Alyson might have the 12ers FKT. Haven't looked too closely big lists in terms of time to finish.
jkirk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jkirk »

Monster5 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:04 pm Sorting that thing by 13K+ might be more relevant to Matt's point in the context of this thread, John!

Edit: Can't figure out how to do all and sort by unique 13ers, but a quick perusing has Ken Nolan at 368 (mostly grid work and cents), SarahT at 299, Jean 137, Kevin Baker at 106, Homie at 100 (mostly grid), Dwight 96, Boggy at 84 (possibly outdated), and Furthermore at 80. Eagle eye might have a high count too.
I'd guess Sarah takes the cake for unique 13ers, followed by whatever Boggy's actual count is.
Context is important, but I'm also not seeing prevalence of homelessness & joblessness in that list of names.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Good point. While not to the extent of "homeless" and "jobless," I'd say there's a correlation between frequent alpine peak hiking and flexible/ unconventional schedules and/or periods of unemployment.

Funny enough, that last sentence might have a negative connotation in traditional American culture, but most of us consider it to jibe with modern work-life balance.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

If you don't have a residence due to personal choice then you're not homeless.
The intent determines the status.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

jkirk wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:52 pm

I meant that in the context of explicitly going for an all-584 FKT. Which I think was pretty clear. And which I continue to stand by.

By "job" I was thinking of W-2; it's certainly easier if you're 1099.

Oh and in my response to "angry" I was originally going to refer to her as the John Kirk of homelessness. Although at this point I have no idea whether that flatters or (further) offends you.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
jkirk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jkirk »

TravelingMatt wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:26 pm By "job" I was thinking of W-2; it's certainly easier if you're 1099.
Who's being referenced when you say 1099?
As for an FKT of the 584 it would better serve the participant to not do any of the 584 between January and May. The slower accumulation of those in winter conditions flattens out the density and extends the completion timeframe. This assumes one could keep a steady pace of 73 a month. Perhaps doable if you don't have other obligations.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Good discussion. I've wondered how quickly it could be done if going for speed.

For what it's worth, working a full-time job, my time for all ranked 13k+ was 10 years and 8 days. I did manage all but 4 of the 786 ranked+soft+named 13k+ in the same period and finished the ranked list somewhat by accident. Regardless, not terribly fast.

I agree three summers sounds about right, assuming you start the game with a load of all-season experience and a high tolerance for thunderstorms. Your San Juan strategy will be the deciding factor, and completing them all in one year seems like a recipe for injury. Instead, I'd carve the remoter SJ into 3rds and complete my goal there each year if I wanted to have a chance.
Maybe a pattern like this:

July thru early November: San Juan, Gore
November thru early June: Sawatch, Tenmile, Mosquito, Front, Sangre
June thru early July: Elk

Someone I know was able to complete all of the private South Sangre (Puratoire to Maxwell) in a very leisurely 4-day backpack in early summer. Purgatoire to Trinchera could be done easily in a single 3- or 4-day trip.

The crux of this endeavor will be not injuring yourself due to the miles and vert.