Poaching Cielo Vista Peaks

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Poaching Cielo Vista Peaks

Post by angry »

Last week I had a long conversation with Carlos about people poaching peaks on ranch property. On 6/25 (the day before I arrived to hike the southern peaks), he'd caught an individual on the northern peaks. This person was spotted by a camera. They then used a drone to pinpoint his exact location and rode an atv to intercept him coming off the ridge. The police came out and citations were issued for two different courts based on crossing of boundaries. It would've been cheaper to just pay the ranch climbing fee. Carlos was also aware that someone on this site named Matt Lemke had trespassed earlier that week via ODS.

He went on to tell me several stories of how they've caught individuals. Some were even found camping. He told me about the elimination of weekday climbs due to people breaking ranch rules. With the continued poaching of peaks, they've also considered shutting down climbing altogether because of the constant waste of their time chasing people down. There was also talk of increasing fees.

I understand that some people don't want to pay to hike, and that's cool. Don't pay, but don't trespass. I have intentions of going back for the northern peaks and would like to see continued access for those of us that will legally arrange to do so.
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Poaching Cielo Vista Peaks

Post by davebobk47 »

I understand poaching when access is completely blocked but if there is a legal means to climb a peak that is the route that should be taken - otherwise don't climb the peak. Poaching these peaks jeopardizes access for all.

@angry - if you're looking for people for northern peaks I'd be interested in joining.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Whether you agree with them or not, the rules exist and are enforceable. Cielo Vista owns that land, and in America, that means they can control access. I'm sure this thread will devolve into a private property versus public lands debate (my bet is Page 2 for the first person to call another poster a communist), but that's kind of missing the point. It doesn't matter. Right now, it's private property, and if the land owner ever decides allowing hikers isn't worth it, they're entirely within their rights to shut it down. Don't be the a**hole.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

this is why we can't have nice things
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Kind of curious how they knew about Lemke. It does appear he posted all about it on Facebook publicly so I wonder if they periodically search for it or if someone that saw it told them. Spectacularly dumb thing to do regardless.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Lemke posted a conditions report here after ODS but it was taken down.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

rijaca wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:02 am Lemke posted a conditions report here after ODS but it was taken down.
Still all over his FB page and his personal website.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

rijaca wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:02 am Lemke posted a conditions report here after ODS but it was taken down.
I remember that, how stupid is it to admit to trespassing on a public site hahaha
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

This thread got me curious. I'm not friends on facebook with this guy, but in 3 seconds this is what is available with a public search

Good advice, if you knowingly break the law you shouldn't spray about it all over the internet
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

I agree poaching these peaks is dumb and posting on FB afted poaching is even dumber. I had a great experience on the Ranch and look forward to going back. I don't understand though how they think ending paid climbing and mid week climbing would equal less poaching?? Wouldn't making the peaks more accessible make more sense?
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

I never intend to hike that stupid peak and laugh at the extent that billionaire boofer has gone to in order to issue trespassing citations. Ha ha ha. What a moron. Go frack some more oil, cowboy.

It appears the ranch land has some very interesting constraints on its use, anyway. It seems there are historic land use rights attached. I guess it's not so private property after all according to the Colorado Supreme Court!

https://coloradosun.com/2018/09/05/ciel ... LSydikoFTk
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

lol
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?