Snowmass - trail around the lake

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Snowmass - trail around the lake

Post by Barnold41 »

Hey all, some friends and I were camping by Snowmass Lake this past weekend with no intention of doing Snowmass but still couldn't find the trail that goes around the lake to make your way up to Snowmass. We took both the lower trail by the lake and the upper trail to Trail Rider, but had issues trying to get over to the scree field. I can imagine there's another trail somewhere in between those two but we couldn't find it. Any help on the location for next time?
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Snowmass - trail around the lake

Post by BKS »

It’s the lower trail around the lake. Multiple paths exist - all with tall willows. Wet after rain. Just keep going until under the big loose gully that obviously heads to the peak
Barnold41
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

We got to a point where the lower trail seemed to end where water was trickling down some rocks. Would you continue on rocks on shore from there? It didn't look like the trail kept going from there but maybe I'm wrong.
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

It’s a little hard to find, but there is a continuous trail. Willows are all that block ongoing path. It’s never more than 25 vert above lake. You’re never rock hopping, just wading through willows. I took rain pants and extra shoes to change after getting completely soaked.
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

BKS wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:06 am It’s a little hard to find, but there is a continuous trail. Willows are all that block ongoing path. It’s never more than 25 vert above lake. You’re never rock hopping, just wading through willows. I took rain pants and extra shoes to change after getting completely soaked.
And it's even harder to find in the dark, early morning. If you're camping near the lake the night before, it's worth scouting the trail around the lake. I also took extra shoes/socks the one time we tried the East Slopes. It was helpful because we did get wet coming around the lake. Unfortunately, my wife only had one pair and her feet were freezing once we got on the snow and we turned around somewhere above 13k.
Barnold41
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

So, it's the lowest trail next to the lake?
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

There is a higher trail that I was happy to stumble onto when I had to turn back at the base of the scree due to a jacked-up ankle (among other things). Finding it on the way up would be a bit counterintuitive, as you’d have to take the trail toward Buckskin Pass when you see that sign before the lake, then take the path that angles back toward the lake at a four (or was it five?) way junction past most of the campsites.

Obviously not easy to find, but since part of my difficulties that morning included the mud bath I gave myself on the lower trail, I’ll consider any extra time needed to find it worthwhile if I wind up taking the East Slopes for my eventual summit.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Barnold41 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:36 am So, it's the lowest trail next to the lake?
No, there is a much better higher trail. The lower trail is a swamp. The higher trail is harder to stay on in the dark, but easy to spot on the way down. Do what you can to NOT hug the lake down low.
Barnold41
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:43 am These are the only pictures I have near that section, but after the water coming down the rocks (looks like trail ends) is where my bushwhacking began. It was definitely moderate whacking for a few dozen meters.
Did you go up from there? It looked like that may have been our mistake.

LetsGoMets wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:50 am
Barnold41 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:36 am So, it's the lowest trail next to the lake?
No, there is a much better higher trail. The lower trail is a swamp. The higher trail is harder to stay on in the dark, but easy to spot on the way down. Do what you can to NOT hug the lake down low.
We couldn't find the trail between the lower lake trail and the trail to trail rider...
LetsGoMets
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Barnold41 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:57 am
We couldn't find the trail between the lower lake trail and the trail to trail rider...

They start from the same spot (basically a campsite and angling around the lake). At one point relatively quickly, the trail will seemingly push you down to the shore, but you can stick high and if you do it will essentially keep you high (the trail is well defined) and keep you mostly dry as it loops all the way to the base of the scree field.

Edit: I have a GPX route (I took the lower up, and the upper back) I can share if needed.
Barnold41
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

LetsGoMets, private messaged you.

Go Royals 8)
LetsGoMets
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Barnold41 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:05 am LetsGoMets, private messaged you.

Go Royals 8)
I seem to have lost my GPX file.