Missing Hiker - Ben Brownlee

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Hiker - Ben Brownlee

Post by 14erFred »

Such a painful loss. Prayers for strength & comfort for Ben’s family and friends. May he rest in peace forever, and may his memory always be a blessing.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 74
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

Just catching up on this thread after being tuned out for a week or so in the San Juan. The outpouring of the community speaks volumes to Ben's character, and his abilities. He sounds like an accomplished mountainer, but an even more tremendous human. This tragic loss of life is truly sobering, and I hope Ben's loved ones may find peace.
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
JamesK
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JamesK »

RIP Ben
broncotw
14ers: 48 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by broncotw »

He seemed like a great man! Condolences to his family and friends!
Ted from TEXAS!
JDroz
Trip Reports (2)

Post by JDroz »

It has taken me awhile to fully process this whole thing, and I'm not sure if I will ever fully come to terms with just how much I will miss spending time with Ben. From the first time I met him while on Wilson Pk in the summer of 2017, it was obvious he was the type of person I wanted to be in the mountains with.

During our first outing together a few weeks after meeting, we were socked in by a classic Wilson Group summer storm and forced to spend 4 or so hours in our tent. I had just barely met him, yet we were having conversations like we had known each other for years. Once the storm finally let up, the sun broke through and lit Kilpacker basin with intense golden hues, catching all the droplets of water left after the storm. Seeing the way Ben absorbed the measureless beauty before us confirmed my thought that this man was "doing it for the right reasons".

Aligned values, and a newly found love for the art of scrambling, catalyzed Ben and I's relationship as climbing partners, and friends. With him as my senior in age, as well as experience and athletic ability, I viewed him as a mentor, finding inspiration and confidence that I would've had trouble finding elsewhere. Ben was an absolute beast in the mountains. Never have I been so driven to keep pace than when I was following his steps. He took every obstacle -- 2nd class talus slopes to 5th class chimneys -- with pure grace. His attitude towards hardship is something I try to emulate in my everyday life, as no ridge slog, stream ford, or wetness of socks was ever enough to wipe the smile off his face.

Most of the people who have posted in here didn't have the pleasure of knowing Ben, but I am so very grateful for your kind words and condolences. Feeling the love and support from all of you gives me and others in his life great solace. If I may request one thing, it is that you spare a moment atop your next summit to remember the loss of a truly outstanding member of our community.

Rest in peace, Ben. The mountains will be emptier without you.
20170806_064817.jpg
20170806_064817.jpg (52.81 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
20180714_082632.jpg
20180714_082632.jpg (280.39 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
20200523_084416.jpg
20200523_084416.jpg (253.71 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
You're no Steve Climber... but Steve Climber is