Kirks Finish All CO Ranked 10ers Plus

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kbmiller
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Kirks Finish All CO Ranked 10ers Plus

Post by kbmiller »

I've hunted the Snake River Ranch to the west of Columbus peak. If one hunts on Snake River Property, specifically the Chicken Creek Ranch section, there is a route to the top of Columbus Mountain that doesn't hit Three Forks property. So, it is legally possible, but you have to draw the elk tag on Snake River to do it (and take a few hours off of elk hunting).
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I didn't know Three Forks was a single ownership, when I drove along 129 from Clark along the border and into WY, I saw a bunch of mansion sized lodges up there, in the middle of nowhere. So thought it was some community development. I heard Saratoga had some retreats for billionaires and figured these were some other homes even farther out. Also that road appears to be closed in winter. Really remote for homes like that.

So many cases of "landlocked" public land parcels out there, it gets tricky for national forest access and BLM especially. When some of these ranches go up for sale, they advertise the BLM/NF land as part of the acreage if they have grazing or other resource rights and easements that go with the ranch. I got a nasty note on my car when parked along a county road that went through one such BLM parcel because they claimed some sliver of land.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

Scott P wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:45 pm
RyanSchilling wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:32 am a massive chunk of land indeed...

https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Maps/RFW_ ... ks_geo.pdf

columbus.jpg
Yes and that map only covers the Colorado side of the ranch. Much of the ranch is in Wyoming.
No kidding? It looks hemmed in pretty well on the north by Medicine Bow NF. Does it wrap around to the north and west?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

RyanSchilling wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:26 pm
Scott P wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:45 pm
RyanSchilling wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:32 am a massive chunk of land indeed...

columbus.jpg
Yes and that map only covers the Colorado side of the ranch. Much of the ranch is in Wyoming.
No kidding? It looks hemmed in pretty well on the north by Medicine Bow NF. Does it wrap around to the north and west?
On the Wyoming side I believe they own the area along Battle Creek, around Sheep Mountain minus the block of state land, and much of the land around Sugarloaf Peak. Their headquarters and biggest lodge is on the Wyoming side.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

RyanSchilling wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:32 am
Scott P wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:41 pm
handonbroward wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:04 pm Hate to stir the pot, but any more info you would be willing to share on this? Always curious about these disputes and how they actually shake out in real life when people start asking permission instead of just talking online.

I got a pretty interesting response down at Culebra this spring when inquiring about all sorts of things that were poo-pooed when brought up here. Surprising in multiple ways, but that is a different conversation.
The summit of Columbus Mountain itself is on BLM land, but it surrounded by private lands on all sides so you can't legally get to it (without a helicopter at least). It's one huge ranch and resort that owns much of the entire northern part of that mountain range. The ranch/resort covers 200,000+ square acres/320 square miles. The ranch is more than three times the size of the Cielo Vista Ranch at Culebra Peak.

Here is the cost of staying there for those interested:

20201030_135140.jpg

Keep in mind that's per person, not per room. Double the price if you want to go as a couple. Also don't forget taxes and fees.
This is interesting... are those BLM boundaries from CalTopo outdated? It shows Columbus on the ranch property entirely. Regardless, a massive chunk of land indeed...

columbus.jpg
It looks like there is BLM access that leads to the summit of Columbus from near East Gibraltar Peak, no?

Not sure exactly how you would make it to that northern edge, the road situation looks very complicated. Looks like there could be some roads from the north that may get you close with the ability to park on BLM land. Who knows what the gate situation would be, and coming from the north you'd still have to cross that thin spit of 3 Forks land, but it looks like about a 1/4 mile.

I am sure Kirk has a solution that he is of no obligation to share :wink:
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

handonbroward wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:48 am It looks like there is BLM access that leads to the summit of Columbus from near East Gibraltar Peak, no?
East Gibraltar is state land, but it is also completely surrounded by private land.
Columbus.JPG
Columbus.JPG (106.48 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
alpinenut
14ers: 53  4  3 
13ers: 21 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by alpinenut »

Did they ascend 3000 ft for each one... Totally kidding, what an amazing accomplishment!! As others have said, they must have seen some amazing places and have some crazy, hilarious, and hair raising tales to tell.
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

Scott P wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:21 am
handonbroward wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:48 am It looks like there is BLM access that leads to the summit of Columbus from near East Gibraltar Peak, no?
East Gibraltar is state land, but it is also completely surrounded by private land.

Columbus.JPG
Got it the linked map doesn't show other private property. Dumb assumption on my part. Spent about 2 hours on Google Earth investigating this one lol.

Just always curious about the intricacies of access issues and you are a person who is obviously very informed about a lot of it. Much appreciated.
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
uwe
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Wow! The crush continues! Congratulations!
Stratosfearsome
14ers: 58  2  33 
13ers: 244 9 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Stratosfearsome »

On to the quadruple digits! Seriously, this is an inspiring achievement. Any nemesis peaks in there that took many tries?
Nobody climbs 14ers anymore, they’re too crowded.
RyanSchilling
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

RyanSchilling wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:32 am
Scott P wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:41 pm
The summit of Columbus Mountain itself is on BLM land, but it surrounded by private lands on all sides so you can't legally get to it (without a helicopter at least). It's one huge ranch and resort that owns much of the entire northern part of that mountain range. The ranch/resort covers 200,000+ square acres/320 square miles. The ranch is more than three times the size of the Cielo Vista Ranch at Culebra Peak.

Here is the cost of staying there for those interested:

20201030_135140.jpg

Keep in mind that's per person, not per room. Double the price if you want to go as a couple. Also don't forget taxes and fees.
This is interesting... are those BLM boundaries from CalTopo outdated? It shows Columbus on the ranch property entirely. Regardless, a massive chunk of land indeed...

columbus.jpg

Wonder if Three Forks Ranch is ready for the Rainbow Gathering to show up adjacent to their lands in Adams and Slater Parks this summer:

https://coloradosun.com/2022/06/14/rain ... t-springs/