Cairns

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Cairns

Post by rijaca »

Mtnman200 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 am Wait 'til one of them steals your SPOT:
Bucky wanted poster.jpg
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=17099
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

nunns wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:26 am
Barnold41 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:50 pm
CaptCO wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:27 pm Unless they’re marmots
Dude, that's just mean.
Well there is a difference between INNOCENT animals and animals that aggressively steal food and chew through backpacks, car parts, etc.

Sean Nunn
how'd you like it if somebody parked in your driveway and walked all around your home all day long, and then started throwing rocks at you?

P.S. Dear CaptCo, if you want to send me abusive messages and call me names for a response that wasn't even to you but to someone who QUOTED you, be a man and do it in public. don't think your actions go unnoticed or unreported just because they take place in a private message.
Last edited by timisimaginary on Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

JQDivide wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:48 am Cairns... one thing to think about... it might not be there for a summer hike, but for a winter hike when there are a couple feet of snow covering what would normally be an obvious trail.
+1
Even a cairn on a ridgeline, which in summer seems ridiculous and obvious, makes a lot of sense when theres snow and cornices. If I see a cairn sticking out of the snow on a ridgeline, I know that there is solid ground there.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Notbaggingpeaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Notbaggingpeaks »

timisimaginary wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:49 pm

Dude, that's just mean.
Well there is a difference between INNOCENT animals and animals that aggressively steal food and chew through backpacks, car parts, etc.

Sean Nunn
how'd you like it if somebody parked in your driveway and walked all around your home all day long, and then started throwing rocks at you?

P.S. Dear CaptCo, if you want to send me abusive messages and call me names for a response that wasn't even to you but to someone who QUOTED you, be a man and do it in public. don't think your actions go unnoticed or unreported just because they take place in a private message.
What do you really expect from a "butthurt" little kid? A word he loves to throw around for everyone but himself.
jfm3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jfm3 »

I guess CaptCO's post a few weeks ago in which he implied he was going to leave the forum wasn't so full of conviction after all. He and crossfitter would get along great, I'm sure.
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
Garmin inReach Map: https://share.garmin.com/jfmiii
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

rijaca wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:54 am
Mtnman200 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 am Wait 'til one of them steals your SPOT:
Bucky wanted poster.jpg
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=17099
In the spirit of CO Gives Day, I'll tack that up as a donation. The marmot probably needed the spot more than I, or knew there could be a day when a dumbass capt. would come along and throw rocks at it.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Dude, that's just mean.

Sean Nunn

I don't really throw rocks at marmots except to scare them away from my stuff. It was a joke. Please don't report me to PETA.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

nunns wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:16 am

Sean Nunn

I don't really throw rocks at marmots except to scare them away from my stuff. It was a joke. Please don't report me to PETA.

Sean Nunn
i didn't think you did, but i have seen people who do throw rocks at them. when i was at Trail Crest on Mt. Whitney, where people drop their backpacks before the final ridge hike to the summit, there was a guy throwing rocks at a marmot that was sniffing around the packs, and he hit it pretty hard with one. everyone knows you're supposed to leave your packs open and take any edible stuff with you, and then the marmots won't damage your gear. i really wanted to return the favor, but figured getting into a fistfight at nearly 14,000' probably wasn't worth it.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

I am so bummed Bill wiped the old Cairns or Karen's thread off the face of the dotcom... I don't know that I have the picture of Karen the Cairn anymore.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

My policy is don’t build new ones and don’t knock existing ones down.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

i really don't cairn, do u?