Recommend me a winter mountaineering route

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
martindo72050
Trip Reports (0)

Recommend me a winter mountaineering route

Post by martindo72050 »

Something that can be done in a day. Can have a few technical pitches WI2-3, M2, 5.5 or less. Ideally something like a 3rd or 4th class ridgeline with maybe a few technical sections. I'm new to winter mountaineering but I've done summer alpine rock routes and summer mountaineering, and also ice climb. Taking avy training in a month. Someone recommended E. Ridge of Bancroft to me, so something similar maybe a little easier
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Recommend me a winter mountaineering route

Post by Conor »

Dreamweaver
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

martindo72050 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:37 am Something that can be done in a day. Can have a few technical pitches WI2-3, M2, 5.5 or less. Ideally something like a 3rd or 4th class ridgeline with maybe a few technical sections. I'm new to winter mountaineering but I've done summer alpine rock routes and summer mountaineering, and also ice climb. Taking avy training in a month. Someone recommended E. Ridge of Bancroft to me, so something similar maybe a little easier
hmmmm
martindo72050
Trip Reports (0)

Post by martindo72050 »

Yea if it's a snow slog most of the way or scrambling but there's a short steep section. Definitely not sustained technical climbing. Again, I have mountaineering, alpine, and ice experience, just not in winter (except ice climbing obviously). I guess to be more specific so recommendations can be more accurate, Lead 5.9 trad, lead WI3, spent a few days on glaciers as well
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Maybe the West Ridge of Pacific?

I assume you do know how to self arrest?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

If you're new to winter mountaineering but have some experience then Quandary West Ridge is a great warm-up route to get your winter arms/legs going. Mostly easy route but a couple fun class 3 sections near the top. You could find a little class 4 or above if you go off route.

Are you wanting to summit a peak or just looking specifically for the winter climbing?

If it's all about the climbing and not the peak bagging then Flatirons (just SW of Boulder) is a great place for for climbing. Routes range from class 4 up to around at least 5.8 or so. Was starting to see some snow/ice buildup the last time I was there which added some interest to the routes - the current storms will increase that. This is a great place to practice for higher peaks.

I can recommend multiple class 3/4 ridges that are fun in summer but not sure I'd send someone straight over to one of those in winter if you don't have other high peaks experience in winter yet (for instance just working out the gear to stay warm is much different on a ridge/summit than with ice climbing...)
martindo72050
Trip Reports (0)

Post by martindo72050 »

CaptCO wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:51 am
Scott P wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:26 am Maybe the West Ridge of Pacific?

I assume you do know how to self arrest?
I’ll be doing this route and swinging over to Atlantic soon if anyone would like to join, all I ask is you’re comfortable on the terrain.
Yes I can self arrest. How soon? I'll be there January, that's not very soon I guess haha.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

Conor wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:42 amDreamweaver
+1 this is one of my fav routes
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

daway8 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:34 amIf it's all about the climbing and not the peak bagging then Flatirons (just SW of Boulder) is a great place for for climbing. Routes range from class 4 up to around at least 5.8 or so. Was starting to see some snow/ice buildup the last time I was there which added some interest to the routes - the current storms will increase that. This is a great place to practice for higher peaks.
much of the flatirons dry out shortly after a storm. I was on freeway on Tuesday, there were 3 parties on the 3rd and probably 10 or so on the 1st. T-shirt weather.
Routes span the entire range - class 1 to 5.immortal.

"winter" and graduating from easy ridges (< class 5.0) don't really go hand in hand. There's not a ton of technical mountaineering routes to begin with in colorado. And then there is trying to get on them without getting 'lanched. I probably wouldn't hop on dreamweaver until May, same with marthas. I know people do them at different times. Good for them. Keiners technically fits the bill for what the OP is asking, but everything says your rope and team work need to be tip top if you even think about trying it, with heaping scoop fulls of objective danger. There are things like all mixed up, but I wouldn't really call that mountaineering. If you're hoping for something like alpamayo with a couple thousand feet of 70 deg ice that ends at a peak, it just doesn't really exist here.

Plenty of 3rd/4th ridges, but nothing like what the OP is asking for (WI2-3, m2). Plenty wi2-3, m2 to go around if you want to more or less purely "ice climb." There's a reason many hone skills through ice climbing, skiing, rock climbing near the border etc during this "offseason." "snow walking" season starts in 10 days.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Have you checked on mountain project? RMNP has some of what you’re looking for, spiral route on notch top, longs kieners/nf/Alexander’s. Otherwise head up to the Tetons.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I'm confused as to why you're not just going to do Bancroft, it seems to check all the boxes. That crux pitch past the notch is easy 5th and ledgy which is nice in boots.

There are a couple decent mixed routes just east of Dragon's Tail on Flattop in RMNP M1-2 ish. I'd disagree with the Dreamweaver recs this early in the year, it can get good in fall/early winter, but it'll be better in spring, but I've only climbed it in spring. The Beaver route on Longs could be fun, or Kieners/the Notch.

Is Martha in?
Make wilderness less accessible.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Conor wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:57 am much of the flatirons dry out shortly after a storm. I was on freeway on Tuesday, there were 3 parties on the 3rd and probably 10 or so on the 1st. T-shirt weather.
Routes span the entire range - class 1 to 5.immortal.
I've only started checking them out this summer so I wasn't sure if the rapid dry out would hold throughout the winter or not. I figured I'd give a highly conservative counter-proposal since it's hard from a paragraph or two to interpret "new to winter mountaineering..."

5.immortal - wow, I've got quite a ways to go yet to be ready for that, lol.