Skin and Ski

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Skin and Ski

Post by Jorts »

bergsteigen wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:46 pm But, if you want to ski the big lines in Colorado, Wyoming or elsewhere, you better be comfortable with the worst the resort can throw at you. *See my ski resume*, since I’m not gonna brag. Haha.
Haha, yeaaaaaaaaah, I've seen your list. Excuse me for not compiling one in a neat format for the world to view. Don't take that as a dig. I appreciate looking at your list for ideas.

Just saying, you don't have to be able to ski Corbet's in chopped chunder conditions to ski D10+ in the backcountry.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I’ll say this unequivocally, the better skier you are the more you’ll enjoy the entire day in the bc. For reference, I’ve skied Corbets.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

I always think of resort skiing as being similar to gym climbing. Both will allow you to be able to get in a LOT of laps in a short amount of time. Personally, I can climb a lot harder grades in the gym than I can climb outside. For me, it’s the same with resort skiing. There’s a much narrower margin of safety in the backcountry and you’ve got to be able to handle whatever conditions are thrown your way (especially challenging above treeline on a 14er route in winter, right?). I’ve seen stronger resort skiers than myself become crippled in the backcountry due to tough conditions. Another thing I see is traditional resort skiers who struggle with getting used to carrying the weight of a pack while they ski (for this reason it can be helpful to get used to skiing with a pack on even at the resort). Having the right gear for your goals in the backcountry can also be a big challenge to get dialed in (I learned this lesson the hard way with my first AT setup when I went with too soft of a ski because it was light - reformed tele skier here, by the way). Skiing at the resort is also great for being able to get on steeper terrain during the winter months when conditions in the backcountry are not safe. Is it necessary though? Of course not. Lots of strong backcountry skiers don’t ski at the resort but of course it could help to accelerate your skills and make you stronger. And I would argue that this would equate to more fun factor. Same concept with gym climbing and rock climbing.
Last edited by Wildernessjane on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:40 pm I’ll say this unequivocally, the better skier you are the more you’ll enjoy the entire day in the bc. For reference, I’ve skied Corbets.
If we're going to measure D's, let's wait until it's a little warmer outside. I don't do my best when it's cold.
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

Not a 14er, but I used to ski James Peak from St. Mary's glacier almost every year in March. You need a good weather day, preferably sunny and the wind less than hurricane force (you will rarely find really light winds there). I often encountered a fairly hard wind pack there that was almost like resort skiing, though you need to be prepared for crust and crud. The slope angles are pretty moderate, and avalanche danger is minimal (though you need to avoid climbers left on St. Mary's glacier as some of that is steep enough to possibly slide and can get some wind slap on it. The first few times I skied it in April, but snow can get very crusty later. I never managed to catch it with powder or really good corn, but when wind packed it was pretty easy skiing.