First mountains in Colorado?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

First mountains in Colorado?

Post by Scott P »

What were the first mountains you ever climbed in Colorado?

For me it was on a 4th of July weekend. On day 1 I climbed Sneffels, followed by Wilson Peak and Mount Wilson on the next day. The day after that I climbed Lone Cone and the Dry Creek Anticline.

Where did you start/what was your first trip?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Sbenfield
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 289 4 25
Trip Reports (5)

Re: First mountains in Colorado?

Post by Sbenfield »

In high school I took online gym class & had to wear a heart rate monitor to track how much exercise I did. I hiked Quandary Pk only to collect a lot of exercise minutes but turned out I had a lot of fun.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Fittingly, Peak 1!

We got caught in a lightning/hail storm at the top, so I got to learn about all that on my first trip. Fun! My Brother took me up, when I was visiting him in Breckenridge - he got me my first job, too. It was a real treat to do that Tenmile/Mosquito traverse years later, and have him be there waiting for me at the end, with beers and burgers. Go Bro!
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Probably Devil's Head with my babies in a backpack.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Shoshoni Peak - I had lived in Colorado for about 18 months at that point, had basically been a couch potato, and had seen it from the parking lot at Brainard Lake. "Those mountains must be miles and miles away..."

Still one of my absolute favorites; I was absolutely wrecked afterwards (I think like 6 or 8 miles RT...) and got the bug, never looked back. Definitely changed the trajectory of what I was doing with my life :)

Summitpost: https://www.summitpost.org/shoshoni-peak/152029
Mountain Project (mostly non-applicable...) : https://www.mountainproject.com/area/10 ... shoni-peak
LoJ: https://listsofjohn.com/peak/846

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

Mt Massive, at age 11, in boy scouts. We made the saddle before turning around due to lightning and snow. One of the few times I've seen lightning up close and personal. I vividly remember one of our leaders saying "huddle up under this big rock" lol
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

As far as hiking- Bierstadt on a quick weekend trip from Kansas, the next summer was Yale over July 4th.

(Different question, but I accompanied my dad on a Colorado business trip when I was 15, and we drove to Pikes Peak summit so that was my first experience of being at 14k).
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Longs Peak was first, during a 2002 roadie in which I moved from the midwest to Albuquerque. I had no business being there, but made the summit.
To this day, that feels like one of the greatest accomplishments of my life, more so than even finishing the CO 14ers.
Elbert was next a couple months later.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

First peak: Pikes via Barr, daytrip
First 13er: W Spanish Pk
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

d_baker wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:29 pm First peak: Pikes via Barr, daytrip
Barr day trip was my first as well.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

My first hike was not a peak but Mills Lake hike in RMNP in May 2004. My first mountain in CO was Hallett Peak two years later.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Elbert, on my first ever morning in CO. Gosh what a mistake, should've done any other Sawatch peak north of 306 instead.

Next was the failure on Sneffels two days later (weather), then success on Handies and Wetterhorn in the following two days.

Thanks Bill Middlebrook, you rock and roll!