Any chance of getting an “ignore user” feature?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
benmangelsdorf
14ers:summits12 winter3 
13ers:summits14 winter1 

Re: Any chance of getting an “ignore user” feature?

Post by benmangelsdorf » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:37 pm

ker0uac wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:51 pm
Tornadoman wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:26 pm
ker0uac wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:20 pm
I am pretty bored today, so I'll engage.

Confucius said that when someone wrongs you in any way, the most productive course of action for you is to reflect on what you could have done differently to avoid that situation. It seems like a weird concept, but if you think about it, you have nothing to gain from criticizing someone else. Perhaps venting and revenge. But you have a lot to gain from self-reflection. For instance, once I had a manager who was so difficult, would always be shouting and losing his temper, and so very inappropriate for a business setting. Short of quitting or reporting him to HR, what else could I do? So I reflected on how to deal with him differently so as to not trigger him. So I changed my ways with him. He become more bearable and my career became more successful.

So, this doesn't directly translate to the situation here. But it doesn't hurt to reflect on one question. Did this forum cause CaptCo persona? At times, this forum and some folks in this forum can be quite obnoxious. It can trigger people, specially when all you wanted was to feel part of this community. The constant reminder that you are not - "you are newbie", "shut up and learn", "go back to Florida", "you called SAR", etc - can be heartcrushing. So, maybe, our collective new year's resolution should be to become a more welcoming and tolerant community, and always calling people out for being otherwise?

I am not making excuses for anyone. I just find this virtual lynching to be a total waste of time.
I don't think the word lynching is appropriate. Are you going to reflect on why I might feel that way?
I already did reflect. I see you have been a member here for 14yrs, so in a way, you are one of the founding members of it. So obviously, you feel somewhat bothered by what you see as a criticism to something you helped build. It's difficult to see fault in something we love so much. I don't criticize it bc I don't like it. I criticize it because I want it to be the best that it can be for everyone.
I think you may have missed his point about the use of that word lol
Tornadoman
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits193 winter29 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Tornadoman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:40 pm

ker0uac wrote:
Tornadoman wrote:
ker0uac wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:20 pm
I am pretty bored today, so I'll engage.

Confucius said that when someone wrongs you in any way, the most productive course of action for you is to reflect on what you could have done differently to avoid that situation. It seems like a weird concept, but if you think about it, you have nothing to gain from criticizing someone else. Perhaps venting and revenge. But you have a lot to gain from self-reflection. For instance, once I had a manager who was so difficult, would always be shouting and losing his temper, and so very inappropriate for a business setting. Short of quitting or reporting him to HR, what else could I do? So I reflected on how to deal with him differently so as to not trigger him. So I changed my ways with him. He become more bearable and my career became more successful.

So, this doesn't directly translate to the situation here. But it doesn't hurt to reflect on one question. Did this forum cause CaptCo persona? At times, this forum and some folks in this forum can be quite obnoxious. It can trigger people, specially when all you wanted was to feel part of this community. The constant reminder that you are not - "you are newbie", "shut up and learn", "go back to Florida", "you called SAR", etc - can be heartcrushing. So, maybe, our collective new year's resolution should be to become a more welcoming and tolerant community, and always calling people out for being otherwise?

I am not making excuses for anyone. I just find this virtual lynching to be a total waste of time.
I don't think the word lynching is appropriate. Are you going to reflect on why I might feel that way?
I already did reflect. I see you have been a member here for 14yrs, so in a way, you are one of the founding members of it. So obviously, you feel somewhat bothered by what you see as a criticism to something you helped build. It's difficult to see fault in something we love so much. I don't criticize it bc I don't like it. I criticize it because I want it to be the best that it can be for everyone.
I asked about your insensitive word choice and you deflected by trying to guess my feelings versus reflecting on why you chose to use that word.
Barnold41
14ers:summits12 
13ers:summits9 

Post by Barnold41 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:46 pm

Confucius was right.
ker0uac
14ers: List not added

Post by ker0uac » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:48 pm

Tornadoman wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:40 pm
ker0uac wrote:
Tornadoman wrote:

I asked about your insensitive word choice and you deflected by trying to guess my feelings versus reflecting on why you chose to use that word.
You asked "Are you going to reflect on why I might feel that way?". Yes, I did reflect. Now you want me to reflect on why I used that word? It's the first one that came to my mind and I didn't' feel like pulling up a thesaurus.

Alright man, if you or anyone here felt that the word was inappropriate, I apologize. Replace the word with "public shaming", it doesn't change the message contained in my post at all. Can we move on now?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
12ersRule
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits134 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:52 pm

ker0uac wrote:
Sounds like you've been reading a lot of Eastern Philosophy - The Tao of Poo
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:03 pm

(Said in a Steven Wright voice):

I 'ignored myself' on 14ers.com, blocked myself from the Facebook group, and banned myself from Twitter for life.
I then had more time to hike 14ers, only I wasn't able to let myself know that.
ker0uac

Post by ker0uac » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:03 pm

12ersRule wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:52 pm
ker0uac wrote:
Sounds like you've been reading a lot of Eastern Philosophy - The Tao of Poo
Not a lot but I read one book about Confucius, I think it was called thinking through Confucius
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Matt
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits208 
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:06 pm

Tornadoman wrote:
ker0uac wrote:
Tornadoman wrote:

While I have reflected upon whether Kerouac chose that username due to being inspired by "On the Road"" Jack or by the depressed, deflated alcoholic Jack that died while living with his mommy, I don't see the issue with "lynch" here. There is a mob of people who lack the authority to do so, but are looking to end Capt's 14ers.com existence. That jibes closely with the definition of the word "lynch." There's no need to add any unnecessary context.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Tornadoman
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits193 winter29 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Tornadoman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:12 pm

ker0uac wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:48 pm
Tornadoman wrote:
ker0uac wrote:

You asked "Are you going to reflect on why I might feel that way?". Yes, I did reflect. Now you want me to reflect on why I used that word? It's the first one that came to my mind and I didn't' feel like pulling up a thesaurus.

Alright man, if you or anyone here felt that the word was inappropriate, I apologize. Replace the word with "public shaming", it doesn't change the message contained in my post at all. Can we move on now?
Sure, I think I've seen enough.
ker0uac

Post by ker0uac » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:20 pm

Tornadoman wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:12 pm
Sure, I think I've seen enough.
:-D
ker0uac

Post by ker0uac » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:35 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:06 pm
While I have reflected upon whether Kerouac chose that username due to being inspired by "On the Road"" Jack or by the depressed, deflated alcoholic Jack that died while living with his mommy,
There's something about madness that makes people so insightful and interesting. Name a great artist and I'll name his mental illness. But heavy on the word "great". Don't give me Tom Hanks :lol:

Let's start with Prince - a highly innovative and talented musician, performer and singer who pioneered so many different music styles, or a depressed and drug addict who died alone from a drug overdose in his lonely mansion?
CarpeDM
14ers:summits58 winter5 
13ers:summits282 winter18 
Trip Reports (9)

Post by CarpeDM » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:39 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:06 pm
While I have reflected upon whether Kerouac chose that username due to being inspired by "On the Road"" Jack or by the depressed, deflated alcoholic Jack that died while living with his mommy, I don't see the issue with "lynch" here. There is a mob of people who lack the authority to do so, but are looking to end Capt's 14ers.com existence. That jibes closely with the definition of the word "lynch." There's no need to add any unnecessary context.
Matt, not speaking for anyone else, but I for one am not trying to end CaptCO's 14ers.com existence. I do not use the "ignore" button for anyone and have no plans to. I have found that I avoid the Forum much of the time these days because of such nonsense - or at least cringe wherever I do venture into it. (The music thread has been the least offensive, and probably most helpful, corner of the Forum for a while now.) I seek to increase the sense of collegiality and cooperation that used to be a much bigger part of the community (of course, it was never perfect) - in the best scenario this would be with the participation of an enthusiastic, well-behaved Capt. But if that means politely chastising someone who - as he has made quite evident - needs to grow up, so be it.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams