Fully Realizing the 3000ft Rule

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Fully Realizing the 3000ft Rule

Post by timisimaginary »

JChitwood wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:21 pm Good grief look at all the 14ers I get to reclimb.
FTFY
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by illusion7il »

I totally forgot I posted this! Eli did a great job of outlining all the peaks/trailheads that don't follow this rule. It's a personal preference to follow this or not. One thing that is guaranteed is there is no prize either way.

When do we get to have another debate on what qualifies as a True Winter Summit or better yet, what counts as a True SOLO ascent? Seems like the form due for one of these soon...let me know.

illusion7il's visual demonstration:
Attachments
3000 ft Rule.PNG
3000 ft Rule.PNG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 2682 times
RobLowe
14ers: 58  6  48 
13ers: 181 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobLowe »

Preston, don’t forget the question of did you summit if you only went up to x spot on a mountain without actually going to the top of said mountain. That’s my favorite “debate.”
A man who has no imagination has no wings

IG: rlmbarlow
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

JChitwood wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:21 pm Good grief look at all [random small number] of the 13ers I should officially count.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Will_E wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:14 pm
shelly+ wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:28 pm
greenonion wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:09 pm If it ain’t part of a FKT then don’t worry about it. IMO
If I follow the rule, then I end up with a longer day, which means more distance and more time spent in the mountains... which is the only thing I live for. lol I bet you knew I'd say that. :)
^This!
^These!
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I felt that when I had to walk up Lake Como road three separate times for each of the 14ers there, I should have some allowance built up in elevation credit to use on a peak like Lincoln! :lol:
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

nyker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:14 pm I felt that when I had to walk up Lake Como road three separate times for each of the 14ers there, I should have some allowance built up in elevation credit to use on a peak like Lincoln! :lol:
You certainly have my respect. When I was planning a summer 2020 trip to the Blanca group, I read about hiking up the Lake Como road and my thought was: "I've been up a lot of pretty miserable roads. How bad could it be?" Well I sure found out, and it was a lot worse coming down than going up. Plus we came up about 800 feet short on Little Bear due to fog and rain, so now I have to do it again!!!

Yeah, you definitely get extra credit for that in my book. Not climbing extra credit necessarily, but more like "suffering credit".

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

nunns wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:12 am
nyker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:14 pm I felt that when I had to walk up Lake Como road three separate times for each of the 14ers there, I should have some allowance built up in elevation credit to use on a peak like Lincoln! :lol:
You certainly have my respect. When I was planning a summer 2020 trip to the Blanca group, I read about hiking up the Lake Como road and my thought was: "I've been up a lot of pretty miserable roads. How bad could it be?" Well I sure found out, and it was a lot worse coming down than going up. Plus we came up about 800 feet short on Little Bear due to fog and rain, so now I have to do it again!!!

Yeah, you definitely get extra credit for that in my book. Not climbing extra credit necessarily, but more like "suffering credit".

Sean Nunn
I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked the area above Lake Como enough as a camp that the hike just didn't offend me. Except for once when we got thunderbombed late afternoon on the way down to parking at 9600. If I had to hike in from lower down, my opinion would change, but anyone with a modicum of 4wd skillz can get to that place I've parked 5 times or so now.

I think I'll even go back because we climbed Ellingwood while it was completely socked in with clouds and I couldn't see more that 100 feet at any point in the climb. It just seems like I gotta go back and actually see the view.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
RETEP 1
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

If there’s a camp for folks that live for single track...that’s me! I don’t care how long or steep or what elevation I start at. There’s just something about being in the mountains on a road that I don’t enjoy as much, unless I’m wheeling of course.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

highpilgrim wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:27 am
nunns wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:12 am

Sean Nunn
I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked the area above Lake Como enough as a camp that the hike just didn't offend me. Except for once when we got thunderbombed late afternoon on the way down to parking at 9600. If I had to hike in from lower down, my opinion would change, but anyone with a modicum of 4wd skillz can get to that place I've parked 5 times or so now.

I think I'll even go back because we climbed Ellingwood while it was completely socked in with clouds and I couldn't see more that 100 feet at any point in the climb. It just seems like I gotta go back and actually see the view.
Ellingwood makes a nice climb and the view of Blanca and LB from there is pretty cool. I love the colors of the lakes up there especially in Spring when ice still lingers
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

@Highpilgrim... If your gonna repeat Ellingwood consider going up from Zapata when C2 has snow top to bottom if you've never been that way before. The south Zapata creek basin is gorgeous too,and avoids that road...unless that's your kinda zen. Lol

Jus my one cents worth
Dayute
14ers: 56  1 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dayute »

So how does the 3000 foot rule translate to smaller peaks? Does it go down or stay the same? Ive been hiking a lot along the Front Range lately. Should I start Genesee Peak (8278') from a low spot in Denver? Do I have to start in Kansas for Mount Morrison (7878')? I know most wouldn't waste their time on such small peaks but I'm putting together a Jefferson County list and I want it done right. I'd like to be able to brag about it in public without being called out.