Nolan's 14er Challange

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Nolan's 14er Challange

Post by Wentzl »

A question for those who have done the Nolan's 14er run. Is there a stand out section, 20 - 25 miles, or a select group of peaks, that you would suggest as especially enjoyable. Whatever the reason, scenery, solitude, quality of trail or whatever. I am going to break it down to bite sized chunks this summer and just looking for some insight from those who have been there. Also any ideas about stashing a bike at one end, then peddling back to the truck, where are the best sections to get a nice bike ride, more downhill than up, which I assume means riding north to south.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Nolan's 14er Challange

Post by aholle88 »

*have not done Nolan’s specifically but have studied and scouted it plenty*

I would say the easiest way to do a “short” section would be Belford to Elbert, stash a MTB at the south 4wd trailhead for elbert and ride CT back. It’s arguably the most scenic section, plus that portion of the CT is very nice (it does have a decent climb out of twin lakes). Would be easy-ish gravel bike ride back from elbert TH to Missouri gulch too. You also have the option to tuck tale and go back to the car anywhere on route too, at least up to La plata of things aren’t going well.
andreasansone
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (1)

Post by andreasansone »

Andrew and I would have to say the middle section Harvard through Huron. It has more interesting terrain and it’s more remote. We love the steep climbing, and Oxford is 3000 feet straight up of you go n-s. There are opportunities for more technical climbing with the Harvard Columbia high traverse and the East Missouri ridge. Two really fun routes we did during our Nolan’s run.
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

The only part I loathe is going down Yale, but you could pick a more enjoyable way to do that, if you'd like.

For bike rides, One option is to stash the bike below the start of Antero, then ride east on the Narrow Guage Trail 1432, which is very enjoyable. You could then take the CO Trail to Blanks Cabin TH (that isn't a difficult section). Plug for my as-yet-finished guide:

https://justinsimoni.com/routes/backpac ... tch-14ers/
jimwei
14ers: 21 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jimwei »

Last summer I did Shav/Tab/Antero in a loop. It's not the most scenic, but logistically simple and a short day compared to other potential Nolan's segments. Started at Blank's. After Antero, I backtracked down south to Little Brown Creek Trail then down Colorado Trail to Blanks. I think it's around 22 to 24 mile-ish?
RobLowe
14ers: 58  6  48 
13ers: 181 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobLowe »

I’ll second Andrea: Pine Creek between Harvard and Oxford is special. Taken some great naps there and even relaxed for about 10 mins there with Andrea and Andrew on a training day. Between Tabeguache and Antero is also pleasant in upper Browns, and is a quiet place to get your first water refill if going north. I’m also a fan of between Missouri and Huron... above Clohesy are a couple smaller lakes that offer a nice place to take in the scenery with zero other humans. Apparently, my favorite places include water and no other humans.

Full disclosure: I quit between peaks 13 and 14 last year (Elbert and Massive), so I haven’t “done” Nolan’s.
A man who has no imagination has no wings

IG: rlmbarlow