Kelso Ridge Avy Risk

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (114)

Re: Kelso Ridge Avy Risk

Post by supranihilest »

I don't currently, but if you go stay away from Kelso Mountain's south slopes. Also note that there are portions of Kelso Ridge itself which can slide, including spots on the bottom third to half, the area around Dead Dog couloir to the summit, and any gullies (if you're stupid enough to climb up them like I was a couple of times). The lower angle middle section is often windblown but be cautious nonetheless. Personally, having gridded Kelso Ridge, I'd stay away from it right now but that's me. Stay safe out there, Alec.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Hey Alec,

I have no current beta for Kelso Ridge, haven't been up there this season. But I have a lot of experience in the area, it's a winter training ground for me (e.g. winter quadrathlon, etc.) and I'll slog up there a few times each winter just for a workout. Alas, I'm one of the Old Guys (another thread...), I've been doing that for many years.

You might be able to pull this off safely, but as you know this is just one of those bad slide years we get every so often. There is one section on the ridge that is difficult to avoid and which can load up, it's about halfway up the ridge, near dead center. You can skirt far left but you'd run the risk of collapsing a cornice (I did that once and set off a pretty big slide there years ago). Other than that section the ridge should be OK, but of course you have the descent. I'd recommend downclimbing the 3rd class ridge of Grays, to descending climber's right. That's pretty bulletproof and drops you into safe terrain.

And fwiw, for the valley approach take the frozen streambed, starting right at the TH parking lot bridge, then contouring right up to the Grays/Kelso junction. That will steer you well clear of slides coming off Kelso (I saw the aftermath of a monster slide there, the debris was way taller than a person, fwiw). But keep an eye to climber's left for the chutes off Edwards' ridge; never seen those slide but maybe? Finally, move fast through the slide path just below the miner's "hotel" on the Gulch Road. Short section, but I've seen two slides over the last 20 years that crested that road and snapped trees on the far side like twigs. Impressive & sobering.

All that said, this probably isn't the best time/year for that route, several people have died in that area in slides. Just passing on some opinions & what I've seen. Be careful out there!

OK, Old Guy signing off, back to sipping Ensure in my Lazy Boy and polishing my dentures... :lol:

-Tom
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Wow, actually looks pretty dry/wind blasted. You can see that descent ridge I mentioned just left of center in pic #2, fwiw.

Ha, ha..."old guy." I'm actually climbing more interesting stuff now than I did years ago, just finalized some details yesterday for 5th class overnight trips in both March & April. Thank goodness Black Diamond came out with a carbon fiber walking cane so I can hobble up the trails... :lol:

Be safe out there!

-Tom
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Jeezus... the snow situation up there looks horrible. :(
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

I’ve done G and T the last three winters with a buddy, on skis mostly, and that is worse than any January or December I’ve seen.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

SkaredShtles wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:15 pm Jeezus... the snow situation up there looks horrible. :(
Yeah, that looks awful. We're in danger of another horrible fire season right now.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:48 pm
SkaredShtles wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:15 pm Jeezus... the snow situation up there looks horrible. :(
Yeah, that looks awful. We're in danger of another horrible fire season right now.
Which is pretty terrifying to think about, flying over RMNP it’s super depressing how much of the forest was burned. Of course I’m sure a lot of that was beetlekill... well all be old before the Aspen recolonize, if they can with a hotter drier climate
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
prairiechicken
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prairiechicken »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:48 pm
It's not so bad below treeline in RMNP.
The issue that caused last year's terrible fire season was not the snowpack, but the fact that there was almost zero precipitation between June and October, with the exception of the early September snowstorm.
ScottLovesRMNP
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 327 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ScottLovesRMNP »

Exactly, there was no monsoon season in 2020. You could sleep in any day you wanted and hike in the afternoon just about anywhere......the dry, warm summer was largely to blame for the problems in October.
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

Be aware, several deaths have occurred on Kelso Mountain by parties attempting Torreys a Grays in winter via the summer trail. The summer trail takes you directly under avalanche prone slopes.

https://www.summitdaily.com/sports/caic ... avalanche/
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

ScottLovesRMNP wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:47 pm Exactly, there was no monsoon season in 2020. You could sleep in any day you wanted and hike in the afternoon just about anywhere......the dry, warm summer was largely to blame for the problems in October.
I did Massive SW slopes in September and started around 1pm. Passed a group who asked me if I was doing the whole thing that day :lol: