Your First 14er

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MountainMo
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Your First 14er

Post by MountainMo »

My first was Longs Peak, July 1974. Nothing but cotton on the mountain that day....came up from Shreveport LA with a church group, camped near the Y Camp in Estes Park, day trips in the park for 4 days, climbed Longs on the 5th day. I'm the kid lower right pic with yellow cap.

Finally moved to Colorado in 1985, and started to slowly climb the 14ers but with no initial plan to complete them all. I finally got number 58 in Sept 2017. What an amazing journey we all get to experience climbing and hiking mountains.
Longs14.jpg
Longs14.jpg (185.07 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
John619
14ers: 16  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John619 »

Mount Massive, I believe sometime late March 1980. Lots of snow...
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

2010: Massive.

Flatlander reads an article about 14ers. It described Massive as an 'easy walkup'. I can do easy so me and my three sons come out. Hero dad is outfitted with an old external frame pack carrying everyone's snacks and water. Around 13,000 we are all dying. We can see the top but 10 steps at a time are about all we can hack (in no shape for this). I did read and obeyed about getting off by noon and while I think we could have made it, it was going to take a while.
We turn tale and not long after we hit treeline the mountain explodes and shakes lighting strikes. Whew!

Kept that one in my back pocket for 10 years. This past summer I came back and easily summited and was fortunate to help someone I met summit his first 14er after his group turned back.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:01 pm Nice job Ed!
Thanks, Alec. (It is Alec, correct?) I have a long way to go. Being a flatlander, it will take me a while but I hope to get most, if not all, of the 14ers under my belt between ages 66 and 70. That is, if the body and the mind hold up. :)
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

my first was langley, chosen simply because the group i went with had room on their permit. i can't say that the idea of finishing the 14ers was anywhere close to being on my radar, but i guess it was lurking somewhere because i followed it up with white mountain within a month or so, and let me tell you what a boring effing slog that slag heap is.

first colorado 14er was elbert. i know, lame. but special for me because it was on the 20 year anniversary of me being off booze, and prior to that i never expected to last this long lmfao.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

First one I did was Mt Democrat, with the whole group, after a 6" fall storm in 2008. We hiked it because it was in our guide book "100 classic hikes." I had a good hardshell and hiking shoes and years of hiking in four corners and the smokeys, but my wife(then gf) hadn't done much hiking prior to that year and only had a anorak that didnt fit well and jeans! :lol: We didnt have trekking poles, which made for a really miserable descent off Bross. I enjoyed the experience, probably reminded me of doing mountains in SMNP as a kid. We did Massive a few weeks later and then failed on Longs and that winter between looking for work I discovered Bill's website.
Attachments
Me and my lova'
Me and my lova'
Summit of Mt. Democrate.JPG (134.97 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Pintxo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pintxo »

First peak: Grays.

First post: this one!
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Pintxo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:15 pm First peak: Grays.

First post: this one!
Welcome!
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir