Best Beginner 14er near Salida

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jimmy4eyes
Trip Reports (0)

Best Beginner 14er near Salida

Post by jimmy4eyes »

Hey'all, looking for advice on the best beginner 14er(s) near or nearest to Salida. I've got moderate hiking experience and physically fit but this summer will be the first 14er. thx//j4e.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Best Beginner 14er near Salida

Post by Trotter »

I'd disagree with Shavano only because its 4500 ft gain. I think if you've got 4WD, Huron. If not, Sherman. Much easier for your first.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Shavano is easy but long, if you don’t mind a longer day, then it’s totally doable as a first 14er. Yale is a good choice too because the parking lot and trail and all those things is a straightforward as you’ll find.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

huron 100%
• short
• beautiful
• tons of people = impossible to get lost
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

CaptCO wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:06 pm I remember Huron being consistently steep and kicking my ass in 2019, can anyone relate? I’ve also came a long way since then... (Kerouac proclaimed narcissistic a**hole)
Shavano is 4600 ft over 4.5 one way miles, Huron is 3500 ft over 3.25 miles.

So they are almost identical in terms of gain/mile.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

stephakett wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:53 am huron 100%
• short
• beautiful
• tons of people = impossible to get lost
+1 on the Huron recommendation. The trail is good, the valley is beautiful, and the 3 Apostles from the summit are wonderful.
+1 on the yale recommendation for all of this reasons that person stated.
coopereitel
14ers: 58  4  1 
13ers: 45 7 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by coopereitel »

I'd say go for either of the three: Yale, Huron, Shav (+ Tab)

If you want a more fun route for Yale and to avoid the crowds, take the E Ridge from Avalanche TH. Straight forward and pretty cool. I left a bike at the standard TH and then biked the downhill to my car at the Avy TH (then drove and did Quandary on the way home...)
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

I would drive the extra couple hours and climb Handies or Recloud.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Cross over to FairPlay and hike Quandry or Sherman.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Easiest, by far, would be Sherman. Democrat, Lincoln, or Bross would be in the same ballpark depending on how many summits you want to check off.

Huron is a real nice hike. Easy by 14er standards, but its not a slam dunk. Probably a similar effort as doing Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross in one outing. Enjoy!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Princeton if you can drive to the towers or past it would be the easiest nearby. Depending on your definition of "near Salida", the other recs like Huron are about an hour or longer drive, and the ones by Fairplay farther out. Yale isn't as far, paved road to TH, more scenic than Princeton or Shavano.

Shavano is the closest 14er to Salida, not overly difficult, but the stats are a bit longer, hardly any switchbacks, but the trail is in good shape, and it's easily visible from around town. Antero if you have 4wd and can drive up most of the way.

Mt Ouray at 13971 is an easier hike from Marshall Pass, 6 miles RT.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

Sherman would probably be the easiest 14er near there, if you are going down to the Mosquito Range you might also want to consider Quandary, though parking can be a hassle on weekends and the trail is generally packed.
Hiking when possible