Best Beginner 14er near Salida

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Best Beginner 14er near Salida

Post by mtnkub »

Yup, Sherman all the way (from Iowa Gulch). Antero if comfortable driving on narrow 4x4 road (i wouldn't want to be on it on a weekend). Huron is a bit of a step up from the others, but probably next in line and really pretty (and easy 4x4). After any of these three as intro, any other 14er in the Sawatch (except Holy Cross) should be within reach. (And the 14ers will typically have easier route finding than the 13ers in the area; just because they are climbed more often.)
Shawnee Bob
14ers: 22 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shawnee Bob »

Huron if you have 4WD. Bonus is the view from the top: it is among the best in the Sawatch.

Mount Yale would be another good option.

Neither of these are long in terms of mileage, and I'm assuming by 'close to Salida' you're talking about the Collegiates or thereabouts. Shavano is fun as a first snow climb, and it's a 14er that's as close to Salida as a 14er can get.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VickieLynn1121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by VickieLynn1121 »

Huron is a perfect one to start with especially if you have a 4x4. It’s such a pretty area and route finding is not an issue at all. Yale is also good, but longer, and there is some scrambling over boulders towards the top. Not hard but when I was there some people went the wrong way and ended up in a dicey situation.
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

Near Salida pretty much means the Sawatch Range (maybe Sangre's, but those are harder peaks). Everything in the Sawatch can be done as a Class 1 or 2 hike, so nothing difficult, but without 4 wheel drive they all have a lot of vertical. The 3 (if I'm not missing one) that can be shortened with a 4 wheel drive vehicle are Princeton, Antero, and Huron. Princeton is a cinch with a 4WD. Without one I'd do Yale - nice trail, easy access, steady grade, an easy 4000 vertical, as much as it's possible for 4000 feet to be easy anyway.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Shawnee Bob wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:08 pm Huron if you have 4WD. Bonus is the view from the top: it is among the best in the Sawatch.

Mount Yale would be another good option.

Neither of these are long in terms of mileage, and I'm assuming by 'close to Salida' you're talking about the Collegiates or thereabouts. Shavano is fun as a first snow climb, and it's a 14er that's as close to Salida as a 14er can get.
+1 on the view from the top of Huron comment.
We were there one September and the refrigerator couloir on ice mountain still had snow in it. The Apostles view from the summit is delightful.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Shawnee Bob wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:08 pm Huron if you have 4WD. Bonus is the view from the top: it is among the best in the Sawatch.
Non-4WD trailhead only adds 4 miles of easy hiking.
AmyBlanket
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AmyBlanket »

Is there a lot of exposure on this beginner 14-er. My boyfriend want to take me on the uncompagdre/matterhorn loop. I'm REALLY afraid of exposure. (falling off a high, narrow path with sheer drops off one side of the trail.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

If you choose Huron, you don't need a 4WD unless conditions get real sloppy. High clearance is really what you need. Folks tend to use the term 4WD loosely.

At least you have many options wherever you choose. Enjoy!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
huffy13
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Yale would be a great one. Easiest of the bunch as far as access to the standard trailhead, good trail for the entirety. Shavano is a long day, but is totally doable as a first timer as long as you get started early. That one has relatively easy trailhead access, but not on a paved road like Yale. Shavano is also known to be very windy. Huron is by far the prettiest of the bunch, but is the least accessible, though still relatively easy to access when compared to 14ers in other ranges. A couple have mentioned Sherman from Iowa Gulch....I don't recommend doing that to yourself as a first timer....not from Iowa Gulch. Sherman is actually a great hike from it's standard east side, but the Iowa Gulch route from the west is an abysmal scree hike until you get to the saddle connecting Sherman and Sheridan, plus the scenery on Sherman's west side is kinda bland.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
huffy13
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

AmyBlanket wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:16 am Is there a lot of exposure on this beginner 14-er. My boyfriend want to take me on the uncompagdre/matterhorn loop. I'm REALLY afraid of exposure. (falling off a high, narrow path with sheer drops off one side of the trail.
Uncompahgre, in my opinion could be done as a first timer. To me, the worst part of that hike was the drive to the TH. There is one stretch just before that last summit push that has a little steepness and loose rock, but not what I would call "exposure". Now the summit is large and there are sheer drops off the north, east and south faces, but you don't ever have to feel on edge as the summit is big. Matterhorn? That's a different peak and level of exposure. If you are, in your words "REALLY afraid of exposure", that one would probably be too much for a first timer...that's a long day if he is planning a loop and definitely some class 3 stuff.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.