Dream Lines

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JulianSmith
14ers: 57  41  13 
13ers: 52 8 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dream Lines

Post by JulianSmith »

JacobW wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:30 pm
JulianSmith wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:15 am Landry for sure, but it's not so much of a dream line as a "lay awake in bed and sweat when I think about it kind of line..."
I can confirm that Landry Line is the best ski line in the state... and worth sweating about.
30180832_Unknown.jpg
A990EE5A-7991-4E6E-92F6-62E3DE118EE6.JPG
Thanks for sharing the pics! I have actually climbed the Landry line before, getting to like within 10' of the summit before I turned back and downclimbed the normal route (snow was way too warm to be safe). The pics looks as steep as I remember it. Can't imagine making those first couple of jump turns, but that's why we are practicing so hard anyway...
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

JacobW wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:35 pm I'm going for Messner this year! Super excited about the trip.
In recent years, I've ticked off Landry, Stammberger Ledges, Ford-Stettner, and Fuhrer Finger.
There's a few repeats that get me excited as well, I'd love to ski Cross Couloir again and Shooting Star. If I went back to the grand, I'd really want to do Otter Body.
Stammberger is one Id do again, fun line. Top of Landry looks fun. What always keeps me up before falling asleep is the choke further down.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Checked:
Silver
Elvis’ Crotch
Stully’s Gully (Wichita)
Coinslot
s**t for Brains
Prom dress (Peak 1 uppermost NE chute)
Emperor
Corkscrew
Cristo
Swan Dive
Cross
Peak 4

Unchecked:
Deming Drop
Straight Arrow
Graupel
CCRider
Big Eyes
Big Bad Wolf
Pacific’s North
Polaris
Moonshine
Quandary
Drift
The Spider
Zebra stripe
Q

I don’t get out of the county much.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Jorts wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:56 pm Checked:
Silver
Elvis’ Crotch
Stully’s Gully (Wichita)
Coinslot
s**t for Brains
Prom dress (Peak 1 uppermost NE chute)
Emperor
Corkscrew
Cristo
Swan Dive
Cross
Peak 4

Unchecked:
Deming Drop
Straight Arrow
Graupel
CCRider
Big Eyes
Big Bad Wolf
Pacific’s North
Polaris
Moonshine
Quandary
Drift
The Spider
Zebra stripe
Q

I don’t get out of the county much.
Please bring/wear a tinfoil costume for that last one!
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

AnnaG22 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:03 pm
Jorts wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:56 pm Q
Hmm. What’s that mean? Tin man? Almost sounds like an ambiguous QAnon prophecy.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Jorts wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:17 pm
AnnaG22 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:03 pm
Jorts wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:56 pm Q
Hmm. What’s that mean? Tin man? Almost sounds like an ambiguous QAnon prophecy.
If you ski Q as a tin man, it summons the wizard of Oz, which then summons Glinda the good witch, who will grant you extra mad gnar pow skillz if you click your heels together three times while whispering "there's no place like home". it will also save all the children.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Do people have desire to ski San Joaquin Ridge? Aesthetically speaking, it's probably one of the best looking couloirs I've ever seen, but not being a skier I don't really know if it's a big target for people, difficult, out of the way, etc.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

speth wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:27 pm Do people have desire to ski San Joaquin Ridge? Aesthetically speaking, it's probably one of the best looking couloirs I've ever seen, but not being a skier I don't really know if it's a big target for people, difficult, out of the way, etc.
The San Joaquin couloir gets skied a lot so, yeah, it's a BIG target.
200604_SanJoaquin02[1].jpg
200604_SanJoaquin02[1].jpg (74.08 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs