Dream Lines

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Dream Lines

Post by AnnaG22 »

This one is (mostly) for the skiers and boarders.
As we move into springtime snowpack, what are descents on your wishlist, and how close to or far from being ready to do them are you?

A couple of mine:

Grizzly couloir: within reach as long as I keep my fitness high and get in some good steeps before June.
Sopris: hopefully getting close to being within reach for me
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Dream Lines

Post by bergsteigen »

Coors Face - highly dependent of snow conditions. Need a good snow year for this one. Plus a few good steep lines beforehand.

Landry - This one will take a whole host of conditions to come into play at once. Good snow over 4K, ideal weather, perfect timing, strong mind set/confidence, max fitness, and partners on the same page.

Skillet - Partners and snow conditions mostly. A lot of logistics to ski this one well.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

Looking real hard at X-rated on Sayres BM this season, but I've got to work up to something that steep. With the rona, I went without a resort pass this year, and have thus not been on a slope steeper than about 32 deg, let alone skied firm snow or anything but powder, in well over a year #MeadowMilitia
I thought, I taught, I wrought
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Landry, Lettrell, OB from the summit, Red Couloir, Grand Teton, Day Trip Rainer, Keplingers, the Snake!... one other that I’ll keep to myself and close partners.

Edit: forgot Grand Teton
Last edited by jmanner on Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

k_fergie wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:33 pm Looking real hard at X-rated on Sayres BM this season, but I've got to work up to something that steep. With the rona, I went without a resort pass this year, and have thus not been on a slope steeper than about 32 deg, let alone skied firm snow or anything but powder, in well over a year #MeadowMilitia
I am hoping to do this one this spring.

Bill
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
ClimberSkierDave64
14ers: 58  13  1 
13ers: 29 17 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ClimberSkierDave64 »

1. Mt. Wilson - East Face
2. Wetterhorn Pk. - East Face
3. Torreys Peak Couloirs
4. Castle and Conundrum - North Face and Conundrum Couloir
5. Ellingwood Pt. - South Face
6. Snowmass Mtn. - East Slopes
7. La Plata - North Face
8. Buffalo Mtn. - Silver Couloir
9. Crystal Peak A - East Slopes
10. S**t for Brains Couloir

I think I'm pretty close to being ready for most of these as far as ski ability goes, but I need to get better at snow climbing in ski boots with crampons and ice axe, especially over mixed rocky terrain.

*These aren't in order of priority, just a general list
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

ClimberSkierDave64 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:08 pm 1. Mt. Wilson - East Face
3. Torreys Peak Couloirs
7. La Plata - North Face

I think I'm pretty close to being ready for most of these as far as ski ability goes, but I need to get better at snow climbing in ski boots with crampons and ice axe, especially over mixed rocky terrain.

Silver, Crystal, Tunning fork are all pretty easy. You don’t need to snow climb any of them, Silver and Crystal Ive toured on to the summit every time.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
ClimberSkierDave64
14ers: 58  13  1 
13ers: 29 17 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ClimberSkierDave64 »

jmanner wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:12 pm
ClimberSkierDave64 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:08 pm 1. Mt. Wilson - East Face
3. Torreys Peak Couloirs
7. La Plata - North Face

Silver, Crystal, Tunning fork are all pretty easy. You don’t need to snow climb any of them, Silver and Crystal Ive toured on to the summit every time.
Thanks for the info on Silver and Crystal. Yes, those are probably the lines I would do first then.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Easy being relative, crystal East slopes are easier than tuning fork, tuning fork is easier than silver couloir.

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think I’d cAll any ski line I’ve done Easy. I find ski mountaineering to be one of the more demanding things I do, challenging through and through, but I also never got really good at it either
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

No list. Just interesting and aesthetic lines. I’m sure I’ll get talked (peer pressured) into LaPlata’s NFace........maybe yet another quality ski of Democrats NFace? I haven’t been out in a couple years, thanks to being a new dad, so anything will do.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

There’s a growing contingent here of just get our and ski some routes that are nice, good day out, and manageable levels of crippling fear
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Coors face to finally finish the 14ers 🙏🤞 (this has been on the to do list for a few years now)

Other than that, actually getting out there and strapping in the boots would be a good start. Been dealing with some foot issues this winter that has prevented any riding, and the snowpack hasn’t been very motivating either. So once I finally get going, just repeating some favorites with easy approaches in good conditions is always fun (quandary, torreys, Democrat, drift/fletcher, etc), ride Pikes a bit since it’s right there. Maybe N face of N maroon. Savage, repeat sayres and la plata, sneffels. Who knows what the spring will bring, hopefully some good times in good conditions without any pain in my feet would be great!