Culebra hiking conditions, 12 hour deadline?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ellenmseb
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 41 3
Trip Reports (6)

Culebra hiking conditions, 12 hour deadline?

Post by ellenmseb »

Considering going for Culebra on 4/4 so that I don't have an obligation to be in Colorado in July. But concerned about the 12 hour deadline. How hard is it to meet that deadline?

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... 105.185593

Do we think Culebra will be hikeable with no snowshoes, no postholing on Sunday? Could I count on there being a packed trail (I know for sure that some people are going Sunday, probably Saturday too)?

Could go my normal hiking-over-snow speed, or is there any terrain/routefinding/postholing to slow me down?

Pikes in March for comparison = 16mi, 4800', 12.5 hours, 2 days' acclimitization, could do 11.5 hours if I was hurrying

Culebra = 14mi, 5450', 1 month acclimitization

Culebra + Red = 15.2mi, 6500'
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Culebra hiking conditions, 12 hour deadline?

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

It's a pretty basic route and not much to slow you down. You'll probably want snowshoes from the fourway to near the big cairn on the lower ridge.
Here's a trip report from a few weeks ago.
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=20970
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Culebra hiking conditions, 12 hour deadline?

Post by 719BR »

ellenmseb wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:36 pm Considering going for Culebra on 4/4 so that I don't have an obligation to be in Colorado in July. But concerned about the 12 hour deadline. How hard is it to meet that deadline?

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... 105.185593

Do we think Culebra will be hikeable with no snowshoes, no postholing on Sunday? Could I count on there being a packed trail (I know for sure that some people are going Sunday, probably Saturday too)?

Could go my normal hiking-over-snow speed, or is there any terrain/routefinding/postholing to slow me down?

Pikes in March for comparison = 16mi, 4800', 12.5 hours, 2 days' acclimitization, could do 11.5 hours if I was hurrying

Culebra = 14mi, 5450', 1 month acclimitization

Culebra + Red = 15.2mi, 6500'
i don't know if they still do this, and if they do i know they don't advertise it, but they have been known to let folks in the night before to sleep at fourway. i know they did when i did it a couple years back. that would let you get an early start in the morning.