Your 37th 14er

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Your 37th 14er

Post by Will_E »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:09 pm
shelly+ wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:28 pm
Salient wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:10 pm
Why is Challenger so hated anyway?

Be kind to Challenger, my comrades, as it is named in memorial to the seven astronauts who died.
Those poor astronauts. First they died a horrific and apparently-not-as-fast-as-one-might-think death, then they get memorialized in Colorado by means of an otherwise unremarkable subsummit of Kit Carson Peak. I mean, there are two unnamed but ranked Cents just outside Lake City that would've been noble candidates, or if the memorial plaque absolutely had to top a point measuring over 14k', why not, say, "South Elbert"? Just getting up there via Black Cloud is a vigorous but (imho) lovely hike with a great trail and some scenic views on a bluebird day...and no gullies!

That's why Challenger is a sworn nemesis of many a fourteener seeker: its gully. It is long, steep, and loose. If you haven't done it yet, set aside the pants you were otherwise planning to cut up and use as cleaning rags anyway, because they will be full of ventilation shafts that were not part of the original design by the time you get back to Willow Lake. Suffice to say that I have had to seek emergency medical attention after two other fourteeners that were not even in the same range as Challenger, lost my lunch on another two besides, and somehow that smirking Sangre still tops my list of Fourteeners I Have Negative Interest in Repeating Ever Again.
It’s not loose in winter;)
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

Rollie Free wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:05 pm Funny anyone should ask be cause 37 is my unique peak number. San Luis. Memorable because it was fall (beautiful foliage) , the 30 mile drive on dirt roads was actually pleasant, and I had it all to myself except for two pretty girls I ran into on the way down. There were some other things that made it kind of magical I won't get into. It ended up being my 36th number one most favorite climb. I am pretty fickle that way. They are like children, you love them equally for different reasons.
Except Challenger. I don't generally swear outloud but I swore like a sailor. Challenger was the child that was actually a bratty neighbor kid who tore up my garden.
I *hated* the 30 mile dirt road. Fortunately it was May when I went to get Phoenix and Stewart, so not many people there, I hit 75-80 mph on a few of the long straights.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Will_E wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:33 pm I *hated* the 30 mile dirt road. Fortunately it was May when I went to get Phoenix and Stewart, so not many people there, I hit 75-80 mph on a few of the long straights.
That road is like a WRC stage, lots of fun driving it with a good suspension setup. I think we knocked off 45 mins on the GPS arrival time.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 253 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

My 37th was a fall color jaunt up N Maroon. Crater Lake was bone dry
Attachments
gg.png
gg.png (429.68 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
nh.png
nh.png (390.99 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
Dignus
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Dignus »

Didn't expect to get this many replies, so thanks everyone for your awesome stories (and for indulging me in my dumb April Fools post). For those that asked I didn't even notice my post count was at 37. Here's to getting peak #37 soon whichever one it is!
Verso l'alto
-Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Not done yet. My 37th was Humboldt on 9/13/00 a gorgeous Wednesday. I had been in Pueblo on business that morning and decided to drive over to the trailhead for kicks. Arrived at 1:30 in the afternoon in a Ford Taurus so had to park down on the valley deck. Started running up the road, back when I could do such things, intending to turn back if daylight got short. I continued up the standard trail and made the summit at 5:30. What a view from Humboldt with the dramatic Crestones right in your face and golden aspens in every direction. Without a breath of wind it was one of those rare perfect summit days. With light now running low and nobody on the mountain I made a youthful mistake, even though at age 40 I certainly wasn’t young, and descended the east ridge. I knew the South Colony Lakes Road was in the valley to my right so figured once I got back to tree line I could bushwhack over to it which I did not knowing it would have been easier to keep descending to the Rainbow Trail. The east ridge is used more these days but any injury on an unused route late in the day and the season could be catastrophic. My older self would descend the standard route and finish by headlamp. Once back at the road I ran down to the car to a beautiful sunset. One last thing, though there was an empty hunting camp on the road, I did not see another person the entire day. It’s hard for 14er newcomers to imagine, but 20 years ago you could hike an easy peak on a perfect day and have it to yourself.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
jbealer
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 175 9
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jbealer »

You caught my attention since 37 happens to be the number i see ALL THE TIME, it's every where. So i checked my Excel spread sheet and counted down to the 37th 14er i had done and low an behold it is my most Favorite 14er peak!
PYRAMID PEAK
Lots of memories on this one, i met a good friend for the first time on that hike and brought my other good friend along and the 3 of us missed the turn in the dark, set up camp on a slight hill and in the morning we took off for the summit. I loved the climb and views, we made it down and back right before the storms hit as well. I have yet to be back but plan on it some time.
wish posting pics on this site was easier as i have some great ones.
No Mountain too steep, No trail too long....
JGiffinPhotog
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JGiffinPhotog »

Interesting topic to choose #37. Have you been watching Clerks? ("37?!?") Anyway, it's kind of an easy one for me to remember because I did my 37th unique 14er on my 37th birthday! I did Harvard with my now wife & chose that one mainly since I hadn't done that it yet & it seemed like a nice hike on a mid-September day. One memorable part of that day was a random German guy giving me a birthday nip from his flask of Jägermeister (remember back when we would just drink from a stranger's flask?). It was nice that the timing lined up to get #37 on my 37th, too.
http://www.jgiffinphotos.com

"...Let's go exploring!" - Bill Watterson
ReginaThomas
14ers: 45 
13ers: 99 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ReginaThomas »

Culebra was mine. It was far from my favorite peak but still an enjoyable day out with Matt!