Your 37th 14er

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Your 37th 14er

Post by susanjoypaul »

My 37th 14er was Crestone Peak. We hiked in with a purpose - to scatter the ashes of fellow climber Patrick Niedringhaus, who had lost his life in an avalanche on the approach to Kelso Ridge, December 22, 2005.

Patrick was just 18, a high school senior. I had been introduced to him by Spencer Swanger and we'd done a number of 14ers together - Uncompahgre, Wetterhorn, Bierstadt. We did Sherman in a blizzard and summited in a complete white-out. Patrick's training ground was nearby Blodgett Peak, an unranked 9er with miles of trails here in northwest Colorado Springs. I can see the peak from my window and every time I hike up there I think of him. Patrick was a really special guy: humble, quiet, and a quick learner. He was usually the youngest and the fastest in the group, but like Spencer, he always put the safety of everyone else ahead of his own adventures. Whenever I get in a dicey situation, I think of him too, and remember how unforgiving the mountains can be.

Our group did the memorial trip to Crestone Peak on September 2nd, 2006. We did the Needle on the 3rd and Humboldt on the 4th. It was a somber weekend, but magical too. When we summited, there were sundogs in the sky, and a jet's contrails in the shape of a cross.

I have a lot of photos here, including a few summit shots. I don't remember all the names, but off the top of my head, that's (left to right) me, Unknown, Spence, Diedre, and Dave in the first photo and Suzie, Spence, Diedre, Rhonda, Unknown, Dave, Lisa, and me in the second photo. Dave's holding a photo of Patrick. Some climbs are more memorable than others. That one, I won't forget.

Peak Pic 2.JPG
Peak Pic 2.JPG (49.71 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
Peak Pic1.JPG
Peak Pic1.JPG (52.82 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Scott P wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:23 am Culebra for me. 14ers.com trip organized by Susan Joy Paul.
I remember that one, Scott. It was my second time up there. I got caught up in conversation with Uwe and we started hiking down the wrong ridge at one point. In my defense, it was really socked in that day! Still a great trip :-D
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

I just tried really hard to remember counting backwards. I am almost positive it would have been Conundrum (if you count it). Castle right before it, Handies after it.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Challenger, wholly forgettable.
crowdsurf
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crowdsurf »

Backpacked into Zapata Lake and climbed the C2 couloir to Ellingwood Pt last year. Harder than I thought. I've been distracted learning to sport climb this year but aiming for at least another 5 summits after only getting 4 last year( failed attempt on Capitol ). I chose it because I wanted to do a backpacking snow climb. There were some guys flying a drone at the lake after I got back down that was really annoying as I tried to rest a bit. They got shooed away like flies a little later by a serious hail storm. Karma!

snowclimbing in the sangres.PNG
snowclimbing in the sangres.PNG (592.99 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
"Thin air is addictive. The more I climb at altitude the more I realize I'm not in it totally for the view, or the exercise, or the company. Often, it's for the air. And I find myself judging a climb based on how strong my air felt." -from 14ers.com user tedeliason
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I had look it up, it was Lindsey in 2007. I wouldn't say there was anything special about it being the 37th one, it was more that I was just trying to make steady progress on the High 100 list and was able to get Huerfano that day and California the next :-D

I actually have TR on this one, it was a pretty quiet day on the mountain and a good early summer hike, barely ran into anyone. I did get my boots wet crossing the river though, which was high and the logs didn't reach across. Had to climb California in approach shoes the next day but luckily its a nice long gentle grassy ridge.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

Longs Peak Keyhole Route.

I climbed with a 21 year old college football wide receiver... the most athletic person I know. Literally. He said it was the hardest thing he had ever done. This made me feel pretty cool because my trail legs were in peak condition and I thought Longs was a pretty easy day.

Need to go back in order to send the Cable's Route.
andrew85
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrew85 »

Castle was #37. Nothing special outside of following the Harvard/Columbia traverse that were 35 & 36 and I had specifically planned to do on my 35th birthday. Those wrapped up the Sawatch so I had to turn my attention back to the Elks and the San Juans and Castle & Conundrum just happened to be the next ones I went after.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

If I don't count repeats, Crestone Needle with my dad and my brother was #37. We had time for an afternoon climb of Humboldt that day.

If I count repeats, #37 was Mt. Evans on a day that was so foggy we never saw the mountain.

I think once you have 36 14ers completed, it doesn't really matter which one you do next (unless your first 36 were all class 1 or 2, with just a few class 3 peaks thrown in).
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
PaulVee
14ers: 31 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by PaulVee »

mroger29 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:11 am Lindsey was my 37th this summer, and I have to say, I didn't really enjoy the ridge or the descent down the gully. Beautiful views however! Looking at Sisnaajini from the top was magical.
Interesting that you did not enjoy the ridge on Lindsey. I haven't done it but I have read so much about people loving it. The crux wall looks pretty exhilarating!

{Edit} - I've only done 23 14ers so I don't qualify to answer the OP's question.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

My 37th was of course Humboldt, because everyone knows that you're supposed to do them in order by rank.

Or it was more likely Missouri in '06, with my friend Yekcid and his dog Gracie...and since everyone likes dogs....

Gracie, Dan, and Darin on Missouri_Aug 06.jpg
Gracie, Dan, and Darin on Missouri_Aug 06.jpg (101.47 KiB) Viewed 2380 times

susanjoypaul wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:31 am
Scott P wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:23 am Culebra for me. 14ers.com trip organized by Susan Joy Paul.
I remember that one, Scott. It was my second time up there. I got caught up in conversation with Uwe and we started hiking down the wrong ridge at one point. In my defense, it was really socked in that day! Still a great trip :-D
I remember that day too, and I kind of thought I "organized" that trip. But my ego is huge and I need to take credit for things.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

My 37th was Humbolt. I did not choose this peak.

Someone I had communicated with on this site wanted to hike it. It was cool because I got to camp with someone I had never met, hike a beautiful valley with those wonderful crestone views almost the entire day as we went up and down the west ridge.

I probably set a record for the longest time span between 14ers at 16 years and 8 months.
The last one I had previously hiked was yale in September of 2003 to Celebrate my new acl functioning correctly.
The upside to not having hiked one in an extended period of time was that I had an absolutely great time on a very moderate peak. I followed that with san luis, handies, Wetterhorn, and an attempt on Shavano.
I got to the upper saddle at 13,400 and was greeted by constant 70 mph winds which turned a previously delightful day into one where I decided that I would enjoy it more some other day.