Your 37th 14er

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Your 37th 14er

Post by susanjoypaul »

d_baker wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:16 pm
susanjoypaul wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:31 am
Scott P wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:23 am Culebra for me. 14ers.com trip organized by Susan Joy Paul.
I remember that one, Scott. It was my second time up there. I got caught up in conversation with Uwe and we started hiking down the wrong ridge at one point. In my defense, it was really socked in that day! Still a great trip :-D
I remember that day too, and I kind of thought I "organized" that trip. But my ego is huge and I need to take credit for things.
That's a good possibility. I have trouble organizing myself. You were definitely there though. You and your ego. Hahahahaha.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

susanjoypaul wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:29 pm
d_baker wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:16 pm
susanjoypaul wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:31 am
I remember that one, Scott. It was my second time up there. I got caught up in conversation with Uwe and we started hiking down the wrong ridge at one point. In my defense, it was really socked in that day! Still a great trip :-D
I remember that day too, and I kind of thought I "organized" that trip. But my ego is huge and I need to take credit for things.
That's a good possibility. I have trouble organizing myself. You were definitely there though. You and your ego. Hahahahaha.
My ego is larger than the cairn on the ridge of Culebra.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Interesting question!
Had to take a few minutes to look through the pages to figure this one out.
Fun trip down memory lane!

#37 Humboldt, 10/16/2010
I picked it because I hadn't done it yet, and neither had my partner that day, Fishdude.
I had no idea it's rank is also #37. I'm never that organized! :lol:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Dignus wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:04 am For those of you who made it this far, what was your 37th 14er? Why did you pick that one? Do have any good stories from the trip? Which one do you recommend for someone preparing for this momentous occasion? Personally I'm considering Redcloud but I'm just not sure.
Well, my #37 was Redcloud! So go for it ;)

Chose it mainly because my climbing partner from Mt Baker wanted to hike the Lake City 14ers. So we attempted a car traverse between Wetterhorn, Matterhorn and Uncompaghre (but only got Wetterhorn), then moved over to hike Redcloud and Sunshine.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

As I recall, #37 was the one right after #36, and just before #38. Very memorable.

(Culebra)
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

RobbS wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:40 am
Dignus wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:04 am For those of you who made it this far, what was your 37th 14er? Why did you pick that one? Do have any good stories from the trip? Which one do you recommend for someone preparing for this momentous occasion? Personally I'm considering Redcloud but I'm just not sure.
Your 37th post is about your 37th (and next) fourteener? 8-[
Is this by design or just some random number alignment?
I saw that too, and found that interesting!
There was a guy on here over a decade ago that posted asking what his #2000 post should be!
If I recall, it turned out to be about his backpack getting mauled by a bear at the Needleton bridge!
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

d_baker wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:19 pm If I recall, it turned out to be about his backpack getting mauled by a bear at the Needleton bridge!
That’d be cojones as I recall. :lol:
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
nmjameswilson
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

My 37th ended up being Challenger ...I did Kit Carson/Challenger + Columbia + Obstruction + Kitty Kat + Point 13290 via the East Ridge from South Colony Lakes.

I really enjoyed the climb up and down Columbia.
1.jpg
1.jpg (157.1 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (123.29 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (179.17 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

My #37 was Blanca. I had been wanting to do that Group and it hadn't worked out in prior trips.
I had grand ambitions of doing all three on one trip but weather would have something to say about that.
I finally got Blanca done but then on my way to contemplate Ellingwood, skies turned black within 30min of being bluebird and I scurried down needing to come back for Ellingwood and Little Bear.
Each of those would require two more trips each, making a total of 6 hikes up that darn road to get the three over a couple of years.
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stoopdude »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:04 am
stoopdude wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:32 am I wish I knew how to figure out the answer to this lol.
Luckily for me, every fourteener I've climbed from #33 on (Handies, where I split my face open by taking a free-fall onto a rock from 5-10' above it) has been so traumatic in some exciting new way that I just had to write a trip report about it!

Which is how I am able to report that #37 was Challenger, whose gully ripped me - and my pants - a new one. Several times over. #38, attained that same day, was Kit Carson, because I decided at Challenger's summit that I only hated myself enough to deal with that misery once.

Oh, and happy April Fools' Day to you too, OP! :)
LOL Hikes... you looked like you were having a great time when I ran into you on Bierstadt last January (was that last year??). I also reached the bottom of Challenger with ripped pants and a bloody knee. I really should keep better notes on my outings though.
RhodoRose
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RhodoRose »

#37 was Wilson Peak and I had two great partners, S. Hartman and "King of the Hills" Garcia :-D The sight of the crux took our breath away but it turned out to be easier than it looked and a lot of fun. Epic views at the summit. It was a hot day and all three of us ran low on water, making the last mile back to Rock of Ages TH kind of miserable. Great end of the day with pizza in Telluride. Then a 6-hour drive home :sleep: Awesome day, one I'll always remember.
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3: 13-14
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

Funny anyone should ask be cause 37 is my unique peak number. San Luis. Memorable because it was fall (beautiful foliage) , the 30 mile drive on dirt roads was actually pleasant, and I had it all to myself except for two pretty girls I ran into on the way down. There were some other things that made it kind of magical I won't get into. It ended up being my 36th number one most favorite climb. I am pretty fickle that way. They are like children, you love them equally for different reasons.
Except Challenger. I don't generally swear outloud but I swore like a sailor. Challenger was the child that was actually a bratty neighbor kid who tore up my garden.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb