Your 37th 14er

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Your 37th 14er

Post by Conor »

Crestone needle for me. I zipped over to challenger or whatever that far peak is above willow lake and then climbed the north butt of crestone peak and "traversed" over to the needle. If that math doesn't work out, i hit 37 sometime that day....

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
ellenmseb
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by ellenmseb »

Although I have climbed 49 14ers, I have no 37th 14er, according to the omniscient Peakbagger.com. Crestone Peak and Crestone Needle are both 38th.

https://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?li ... notset&w=0
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

stoopdude wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:07 am LOL Hikes... you looked like you were having a great time when I ran into you on Bierstadt last January (was that last year??). I also reached the bottom of Challenger with ripped pants and a bloody knee. I really should keep better notes on my outings though.
Yes, January 4th, 2020, when the new year and decade still seemed full of hope and promise! :lol: That actually was pretty fun, right up until the National Weather Service's promised 60 mph wind gusts delivered - and some! - when we got back down to 13k' or so. At least we got to enjoy the summit!

Sounds like you "won" the Challenger Challenges...the skin on my knees remained intact afterwards, though the joints themselves were very unhappy for the next few days. Also, I'm sure it's almost exclusively writers who take copious amounts of notes, and trust me when I say that nothing good ever comes of being a writer. :p
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

Tabeguache. Shavano was 36. Antero was 38. All from Brown's Lake.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
oorg
14ers: 58 
13ers: 23 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oorg »

Mt. Sneffels. We weren't even planning to hike it that day, but it ended up being an absolutely gorgeous day and we didn't start until 2pm. Easily the latest I've ever started a climb, but there was not a cloud in the sky and it ended up being the perfect day. We took the ridge up and the gully down... got back to the truck at the sun was going under the ridge. I can't wait to tackle it again when there's less smoke. :)

Cory
quinnwolf
14ers: 58  3  2 
13ers: 55 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by quinnwolf »

My 37th was Ellingwood Point right after doing Blanca as my 36th from Lake Como. It was snowy/sleety and cold on Blanca, but then sunny and warm by the time we got to Ellingwood. This was in August 2018.
Fun question!
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Rollie Free wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:05 pm Except Challenger. I don't generally swear outloud but I swore like a sailor. Challenger was the child that was actually a bratty neighbor kid who tore up my garden.
Why is Challenger so hated anyway?
Be the best you that you can be.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

Salient wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:10 pm
Rollie Free wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:05 pm Except Challenger. I don't generally swear outloud but I swore like a sailor. Challenger was the child that was actually a bratty neighbor kid who tore up my garden.

Be kind to Challenger, my comrades, as it is named in memorial to the seven astronauts who died.
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

My 37th was Snowmass - July 27, 2002 with my Dad from the Lead King Basin side of the mountain. This was long before I kept track of my climb times on peaks, but I do recall being pretty tired upon our return to the car and not being thrilled to see a flat tire on my '98 Subaru Outback, while at the same time wondering how we were going to get the car back to Marble on the tiny donut spare. This was also back when I was a young guy that had to wear two knee braces to do a 14er.
91070742.jpg
91070742.jpg (152.7 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

shelly+ wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:28 pm

Be kind to Challenger, my comrades, as it is named in memorial to the seven astronauts who died.
Those poor astronauts. First they died a horrific and apparently-not-as-fast-as-one-might-think death, then they get memorialized in Colorado by means of an otherwise unremarkable subsummit of Kit Carson Peak. I mean, there are two unnamed but ranked Cents just outside Lake City that would've been noble candidates, or if the memorial plaque absolutely had to top a point measuring over 14k', why not, say, "South Elbert"? Just getting up there via Black Cloud is a vigorous but (imho) lovely hike with a great trail and some scenic views on a bluebird day...and no gullies!

That's why Challenger is a sworn nemesis of many a fourteener seeker: its gully. It is long, steep, and loose. If you haven't done it yet, set aside the pants you were otherwise planning to cut up and use as cleaning rags anyway, because they will be full of ventilation shafts that were not part of the original design by the time you get back to Willow Lake. Suffice to say that I have had to seek emergency medical attention after two other fourteeners that were not even in the same range as Challenger, lost my lunch on another two besides, and somehow that smirking Sangre still tops my list of Fourteeners I Have Negative Interest in Repeating Ever Again.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:09 pm

Those poor astronauts. First they died a horrific and apparently-not-as-fast-as-one-might-think death, then they get memorialized in Colorado by means of an otherwise unremarkable subsummit of Kit Carson Peak. I mean, there are two unnamed but ranked Cents just outside Lake City that would've been noble candidates, or if the memorial plaque absolutely had to top a point measuring over 14k', why not, say, "South Elbert"? Just getting up there via Black Cloud is a vigorous but (imho) lovely hike with a great trail and some scenic views on a bluebird day...and no gullies!

That's why Challenger is a sworn nemesis of many a fourteener seeker: its gully. It is long, steep, and loose. If you haven't done it yet, set aside the pants you were otherwise planning to cut up and use as cleaning rags anyway, because they will be full of ventilation shafts that were not part of the original design by the time you get back to Willow Lake. Suffice to say that I have had to seek emergency medical attention after two other fourteeners that were not even in the same range as Challenger, lost my lunch on another two besides, and somehow that smirking Sangre still tops my list of Fourteeners I Have Negative Interest in Repeating Ever Again.
And there you have it. Eloquently and passionately articulated 🙂
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:09 pm

somehow that smirking Sangre still tops my list of Fourteeners I Have Negative Interest in Repeating Ever Again.
*sigh* .....and i will have to do it again.