Towns near mountains

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtalll
14ers: 8 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Towns near mountains

Post by mtalll »

I'm looking for a new (to me) town to stay in CO this summer. I will be hiking, but my wife and daughter want to stay in/near a town with restaurants, shops, etc. Estes park is perfect for us, but I've been several times and am looking for something new. We've also stayed in Dillon which is great, and Aspen was okay. Any suggestions/favorite places to recommend? Access to a couple 14ers is needed, but I like lake hikes just as much. Thanks.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Towns near mountains

Post by Scott P »

Silverton, Ouray, or Lake City.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

mtalll wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:14 am Aspen was okay.
:lol:

Westcliffe and Ridgway seem a'ight.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

Definitely Ouray or Lake City!
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:50 am Please don’t go to Westcliffe expecting good shopping haha, if you’re in Ridg might as well go to Silverton! Cmon Jorts, I didn’t think Lake City had great shopping guess I need to spend more time there this summer.
Hmm... never considered myself a shopping aficionado so guess I'll defer. I just dug both those towns and their access to the mountains.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

I'd recommend something closer to the I-70 corridor. The San Juan towns do not fit that description (shopping and dining). Great towns for anyone who wants to gain 2000 ft on a daily basis hiking, not so much if not.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

My dream is to one day live in Salida, it’s as central as you can get to all the mountain ranges, especially in summer when indy pass is open.

And Salida has a Walmart.
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

Will_E wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:13 pm My dream is to one day live in Salida, it’s as central as you can get to all the mountain ranges, especially in summer when indy pass is open.

And Salida has a Walmart.
I think a lot of us have that dream. It's starting to feel like that dream is getting further away every year rather than closer.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 253 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

I've been lucky enough to call Salida home for the last 6 years. I don't plan on leaving any time soon
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Carbondale or New Downtown Buena Vista (pretty ritzy, but not quite in the ostentatious/horrific way of Breck, Vail, or Aspen).
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:54 pm One thing I love about Colorado is the towns are either way smaller or larger than you anticipate. That being said I paid $180 for a super 8 in BV a couple weeks ago and will only stay there if I have to moving forward. I’ve rented cabins, camped, paid for camping, hotels, and it’s all overpriced there now. It is a cute town with some acreage to it though! A middle point could be Alamosa to hit the Sand Dunes/Zapata Falls in a day, then transfer to the San Juan’s. Options are endless honestly (great views of Little Bear traverse on the drive to Ft. Garland as well)
Yeah, I think the longer term BV motels are upping their prices to try to keep with the fancy new hotel on the river.

There's distributed camping pretty close outside of BV...free is free.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

Re: Buena Vista Motels
I have stayed many times in the Great Western Sumac Lodge in BV.
It is an older motel with no frill rooms - no fridge, microwave, coffee maker - but the rooms have always been spotless and clean.
The owner gives me a discount for being geriatric and a second discount for paying cash such that my total bill, including tax, is $58.
I have stayed there so many times the owner recognizes me by voice when I call for a reservation. She has a cat which serves as an office manager and usually greets me upon arrival. Maybe it is the cat treats I give to her.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”