Towns near mountains

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Towns near mountains

Post by greenonion »

montanahiker wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:28 pm
Will_E wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:13 pm My dream is to one day live in Salida, it’s as central as you can get to all the mountain ranges, especially in summer when indy pass is open.

And Salida has a Walmart.
I think a lot of us have that dream. It's starting to feel like that dream is getting further away every year rather than closer.
+1
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Will_E wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:13 pm My dream is to one day live in Salida, it’s as central as you can get to all the mountain ranges, especially in summer when indy pass is open.

And Salida has a Walmart.
I know all about the salida walmart.
Twice last summer I get close to that area when I realized I left my backpack at home in Montrose.
First time required no backtracking to obtain small cheap pack st the Walmart. 2nd time required about a 60 mile detour to correct the issue.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I think Silverton would be a wonderful place to spend a summer. It's a little light on the restaurant's and shopping. I live in Montrose and enjoy it.
I also think Vail would be nice. It has a good selection of restaurants and great access to the gores for lake hikes.
mtalll
14ers: 8 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtalll »

Thanks for all the ideas, looking forward to it.

I did like Dillon a lot, Capt, just want to see some new areas. And they don't need 'fine shopping', just some souvenir stores, coffee shops, etc, for days when I'm gone.
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

I only know Salida from a few brief stops, but it sure had appeal to me. The artsy vibe seemed genuine, and the combination of river life with mountains all around is alluring.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

i'll second/third/whatever BV. i love love love BV. it's right in the heart of everything, and salida is not a far drive. the hot springs, the river, the down town (not tacky and overcrowded but enough to do and eat), you're just smack dab in the middle of everything. and the drive to leadville for high mountain pies is not a terrible drive from bv; i've done it more than once.

lake city is awesome too, but it's SMALL and not sure how the family would dig it for a stay of any length.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

I find I like everything about High Mountain Pies except for one small detail, mediocre pizza. But the place does an illogical amount of business so what do I know? The last time I was there they had more carryout business than there are people in Leadville.

I've took a liking to Salida. Seems like a friendly, down to earth midwestern town. Almost old fashioned. And let's face it, Walmart may have cheesy merchandise but they do have it. It might get you by for a climb if you forgot something at home.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

Rollie Free wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:36 am I find I like everything about High Mountain Pies except for one small detail, mediocre pizza. But the place does an illogical amount of business so what do I know? The last time I was there they had more carryout business than there are people in Leadville.

I've took a liking to Salida. Seems like a friendly, down to earth midwestern town. Almost old fashioned. And let's face it, Walmart may have cheesy merchandise but they do have it. It might get you by for a climb if you forgot something at home.
there is nothing better than their carnivore pizza after a day in the mountains. nothing.
VickieLynn1121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by VickieLynn1121 »

Don’t forget Telluride. It’s a fun town for the girls and lots of hiking/climbing around. Ouray and Ridgway are close by and awesome day trips.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Forget Westcliffe, Silverton, Lake City, or Ridgeway. VERY small. One day and you've seen everything... twice. Along the lines of Fairplay or Leadville. Ouray is a little bigger, but a weekend is enough. Those tiny towns are great for hikers, but shoppers or just hanging out? Not so much beyond the weekend.

Pagosa Springs or Durango might fit the bill. Telluride is a great idea, but unless you're camping, lodging is pricy and might be hard to come by. I'm surprised Aspen didn't do the trick. Maybe Snowmass or Glenwood Springs?
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.