Peaks around Taylor Reservoir (esp. 12ers/13ers)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Skyline
14ers: 23 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Peaks around Taylor Reservoir (esp. 12ers/13ers)

Post by Skyline »

A friend of mine wants to spend about a week camping around Taylor Reservoir in July. Not exactly right next to any 14ers, though I'm eying Harvard and Columbia for a day or two even though they're over an hour away (already done Yale, though I'd consider it again). Are there any other great trips in that vicinity? Looks like the Apostles are, ironically given the terrain, only accessible from the North/East. Any other great 13er hikes? I'm not super partial to 14ers, and it looks like there are a bunch of 13ers around, but I can't tell how accessible they are. Would love to be able to hit at least one peak each day. If you know of any, or any other great hikes in the vicinity, please chime in! :)

TaylorReservoirPeakMap.jpg
TaylorReservoirPeakMap.jpg (262.49 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation

Isaiah 52:7
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Peaks around Taylor Reservoir (esp. 12ers/13ers)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Italian, Lambertson, Star, Taylor and Turner Peak are all easily accessible from Taylor reservoir. Check out trip reports for those.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Jenkins as well from Pieplant which has some cool old mining ruins. For a little drive you can climb Fairview from Cumberland Pass, there is an old stone lookout on the summit.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Magdalene Mtn from Texas Creek TH (end of 742C road) is a nice hike. There are some cool mining ruins in the upper basin below Magdalene. 4wd (easy) is needed to get to the end of the road/trailhead. You can also hike West Apostle from this trailhead via CDT/Lake Ann Trail and/or go over the pass to Lake Ann, it is a beautiful alpine lake. You can also get Apostle and Ice from a trail that goes north not far from the trailhead.
CUaaron25
14ers: 58  2  4 
13ers: 150 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by CUaaron25 »

+1 for Italian. Also bring a fly rod. The brookies and browns on the upper taylor are not huge but they are plentiful!
johnt
14ers: 33 
13ers: 91
Trip Reports (2)

Post by johnt »

+1 for Magdalene.
You could also do West Apostle as a backpack to Lake Ann from the Taylor Creek Road.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:34 am
HikerGuy wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:37 am Magdalene Mtn from Texas Creek TH (end of 742C road) is a nice hike. There are some cool mining ruins in the upper basin below Magdalene. 4wd (easy) is needed to get to the end of the road/trailhead. You can also hike West Apostle from this trailhead via CDT/Lake Ann Trail and/or go over the pass to Lake Ann, it is a beautiful alpine lake. You can also get Apostle and Ice from a trail that goes north not far from the trailhead.
Wow great to know, which is the more scenic route would you say? Granted mileage/elevation don't really matter to me
The Apostles are definitely more scenic and easier to get from the north side. Most folks tag Magdalene from the north, but I really enjoyed the southern approach.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:06 am Jenkins as well from Pieplant which has some cool old mining ruins. For a little drive you can climb Fairview from Cumberland Pass, there is an old stone lookout on the summit.
Two great choices there. Jenkins is in my ski guidebook and has great skiing on the N side. Doubt they'd still have snow this July, but they could certainly be climbed. Fairview has some of the best views of any summit I've been on, and I've been on more than a few. Rather than drive Cumberland, if you're already in Taylor Park just drive up into Union Park. It's 2wd (FS752) until it hits Lottis Creek. From there or 4wd farther up the road, you can go up either Gold Creek 427 or Cameron Gulch 549 before getting on the Fairview Peak trail. Great difficult MTB trails too. Park Cone is another Taylor mountain worth a look- it's pretty high on the list of most prominent mts in CO. Also, Anderson from Tellurium.
nickm
14ers: 33 
13ers: 285
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

Lots of fantastic options already mentioned! Here is a few more.

Anderson & Petroleum from Tellurium Creek Rd. There is a great recent TR from WildWanderer.
Grizzly E from Pieplant, or combo with Jenkins & 13,140.
If you are interested in a big day you can access the Winfield 13er group, Virginia, W Virginia etc. from the end of 671 (2wd). Or from Pieplant.
Flyingfish
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 533 2 16
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Flyingfish »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:06 am Jenkins as well from Pieplant which has some cool old mining ruins. For a little drive you can climb Fairview from Cumberland Pass, there is an old stone lookout on the summit.
+1 both great trips and well off the beaten path.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

I did italian the one time i got back there

and I wouldn't say not good idea

but if I had another crack part of me wishes I had gone more up towards that star peak region

if only for cool name factor

star peak might be one of the top names
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer