ISO: water on Longs Peak - mid September ?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

ISO: water on Longs Peak - mid September ?

Post by jibler »

So yes - I pulled that permit for Goblin's Forest for mid September

but only now do I realize that I may indeed have a hard time finding water sources on my way up?

should i start thinking hard about the Loft route since that will likely cross more water?

Are loft and keyhole about the same difficulty-wise? I see both ranked same class 3.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: ISO: water on Longs Peak - mid September ?

Post by dpage »

The stream in the Boulder field flows year round. You just might need a filter that you can drop into the rocks to reach it.
JacobW
14ers: 45  17  4 
13ers: 21 11 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by JacobW »

There's also a stream right next to the goblin forest campground. Fill up with 2L before you hike.

The loft route isn't much more difficult than the keyhole route, but the route finding is way harder. I would only recommend doing it with someone who's done it before.
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

jibler wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:10 pm should i start thinking hard about the Loft route since that will likely cross more water?

Are loft and keyhole about the same difficulty-wise? I see both ranked same class 3.
I recommend the Loft to anyone wanting to climb Longs by the easier ways. Routefinding on the Keyhole is easier (trivial?) due to having the path literally painted onto the rocks, but without that factor the routes are very similar in difficulty and the Loft is much less crowded. Water-wise, you can find it in the boulderfield, but it will be easier to get near the Loft.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Loft is such a slog in September, best when you get snow on the actual loft. Water will be flowing at the campground, at the lightning bridge and at the Jim’s grove junction. Maybe at the boulder field but it’s touch and go in sept.
jakethesnake_630
14ers: 23  5  3 
13ers: 40 10 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jakethesnake_630 »

jibler wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:10 pm Are loft and keyhole about the same difficulty-wise? I see both ranked same class 3.
I'm sure there will be 1,000 opinions on this, probably most of them will be more insightful & experienced then mine, but I did both routes last summer:

Loft: "shorter" in total mileage, but much tougher routefinding (I'm positive I took a horrendous route between the shoulder & homestretch, never saw Clark's Arrow), a slight rock step you should be aware of near the top of the couloir, & remember that you'll likely want/need to descend the keyhole route regardless of ascent route.

Keyhole: iconic, longer mileage but super easy routefinding (literally just follow bullseyes after the keyhole)

My personal opinion was that the Loft was way cooler. You get insane views of Meeker & the Ships Prow on the way up, with the added benefit of STILL getting to see the entirety of the keyhole route on the descent. You also avoid the clusterf*ck that is the Keyhole route in September on the way up.

From a difficulty standpoint I would rank them almost equivalently, personally. Attached some photos from partway up the Loft, in case it pushes you in the right direction ;)
IMG_1554.JPEG
IMG_1554.JPEG (248.14 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
IMG_1562.JPEG
IMG_1562.JPEG (263.8 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
IMG_1557.JPEG
IMG_1557.JPEG (194.94 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Loft route is def. a bit longer than Keyhole.
jakethesnake_630
14ers: 23  5  3 
13ers: 40 10 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jakethesnake_630 »

justiner wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:00 pm Loft route is def. a bit longer than Keyhole.
Longer *time* typically but shorter *distance* right? If I recall mostly due to climbing talus & routefinding.. although I personally shaved almost an hour off my keyhole time simply by doing the loft route second & being more comfortable on the mountain.

Your opinion was one of the ones I was alluding to as "more insightful & experienced" lol
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

Aphelion wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:47 pm I recommend the Loft to anyone wanting to climb Longs by the easier ways. Routefinding on the Keyhole is easier (trivial?) due to having the path literally painted onto the rocks, but without that factor the routes are very similar in difficulty and the Loft is much less crowded. Water-wise, you can find it in the boulderfield, but it will be easier to get near the Loft.
Just be aware that the 3rd-class traverse immediately below the Loft gets very little sun, and by mid-September that section can be coated in ice.
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stoopdude »

My $0.02 is that the best non-technical way to do Longs is up Loft, down Keyhole. Throw in Meeker. Great tour of the mountain.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

First timers should do Keyhole first. Better marked and safety in numbers.
Longs is often ones first 3rd class.
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stoopdude »

peter303 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 pm First timers should do Keyhole first. Better marked and safety in numbers.
Longs is often ones first 3rd class.
Correct, I should've been clear about this.