Culebra Peak Payment

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dignus
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (1)

Culebra Peak Payment

Post by Dignus »

For those of you who have climbed Culebra, did you take any precautions such as file encryption when submitting your credit card info via email as the ranch requires? I feel uneasy about sending that sort of info via a method that isn't that secure. Does the ranch also ensure that your info is deleted on their end?
Verso l'alto
-Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Culebra Peak Payment

Post by Carl_Healy »

Not something I've done myself yet, but my Dad had done it quite a bit; does your bank offer "temporary" or "virtual" card numbers?

That is, you can setup a virtual card number only authorized up to a certain amount for a single purchase.

The bank will pull the funds out of the account you specify, but after anyone processes the purchase with the "virtual" number the card number becomes useless.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Dignus wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:54 pm For those of you who have climbed Culebra, did you take any precautions such as file encryption when submitting your credit card info via email as the ranch requires? I feel uneasy about sending that sort of info via a method that isn't that secure. Does the ranch also ensure that your info is deleted on their end?
Just buy a visa gift card to use XD
Be the best you that you can be.
Dignus
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Dignus »

Salient wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:15 pm
Dignus wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:54 pm For those of you who have climbed Culebra, did you take any precautions such as file encryption when submitting your credit card info via email as the ranch requires? I feel uneasy about sending that sort of info via a method that isn't that secure. Does the ranch also ensure that your info is deleted on their end?
Just buy a visa gift card to use XD
Good idea, thanks!
Verso l'alto
-Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

if using a credit card, who cares?! Well, I know some people do, but I don't. Here's why...

Banks know they can eliminate credit card fraud significantly, but it also makes spending money more difficult. They'd rather keep things open and eat the fraud cost. If using a credit card, just send it. If you end up with fraud, call your CC company, report it, receive new CC in mail. It costs you nothing.

The fair credit limit act limits your CREDIT card liability to $0 if you didn't lose your card. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... the%20loss.
Under the FCBA, your liability for unauthorized use of your credit card tops out at $50. However, if you report the loss before your credit card is used, the FCBA says you are not responsible for any charges you didn’t authorize. If your credit card number is stolen, but not the card, you are not liable for unauthorized use.
Here's a good listen from NPR's planet money about what I described above. https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016 ... chip-on-it

also Frank Abagnale (catch me if you can) talks about it here. It gets a little too much into building credit, but the part I am talking about starts around 1:40. https://youtu.be/a8IzmgWNlnA

So...to answer your question. 1) I trust the ppl at the ranch. a waiter is more likely to skim your information and then look up your address online to make fraudulent charges than the ranch is. 2) if using a credit card, it only robs you of a few minutes if fraud charges come up, you lose no money. less time than going to a store to buy a gift card and paying $8 for the privilege to do so.