CMC Peak Crushers

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Re: CMC Peak Crushers

Post by seano »

"Peak Crushers?" The activity itself (by oneself) is wonderful, but what a cringe-worthy name... It sounds like a ready-made Instagram hashtag for a bunch of bros with caveman hair taking mountain selfies with the "shocker" sign and their tongues out.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

I love you people.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

Ptglhs wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:32 pm Of course it's not their goal. The point is they didn't think of people who aren't like them, and people who want to be part of the group but can't because of work schedules get frustrated because we're always excluded.
I mean the alternative is to do it on Tuesdays or something and then nobody else can be part of it due to their work schedules... Utilitarianism at work I suppose.

I also work some weekends and it certainly makes it difficult to do activities with people who work traditional schedules. On the other hand it means I have some weekdays off and can get outside to otherwise popular areas when they aren't busy, which is actually pretty nice!
pizza-sandwich
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pizza-sandwich »

that schedule really threw a big wrench in my summer goals because i also work weekends. sounds like a cool program, but i was sorta put off by the lofty requirements to participate but pretty introductory classes they listed.

confident ropeless on class 4, but only 12min/mi pace? and then schedule a mountain weather class? i mean, if you’re totally okay soloing class 4 you probably know about weather. and 12min/mi for 5 miles is not in line with their scrambling requirements. maybe 9-10min would be appropriate. or a gear lecture? again if you’re soloing class 4 you’re probably pretty gear savvy. i did not want to sacrifice a day off to sit through a weather refresher or the benchmark progressions.

it was just a weird combo. maybe it’s more for awesome climbers looking to increase running speed? idk.

BTW, if anyone needs week day high alpine running partners we should get in touch.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Ptglhs wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:32 pm
Trotter wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:37 pm Yeah I think their goal with this program was class warfare :roll:
Of course it's not their goal. The point is they didn't think of people who aren't like them, and people who want to be part of the group but can't because of work schedules get frustrated because we're always excluded. Our options are: take off work without pay and go, or miss out. Rather than take a reductio ad absurdum approach you could acknowledge all of the people who wouldn't be able to attend hikes which are only on Saturdays. *eyeroll*
Hey you the one who brought whos middle class or not
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

pizza-sandwich wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:18 amif you’re totally okay soloing class 4 you probably know about weather. and 12min/mi for 5 miles is not in line with their scrambling requirements. maybe 9-10min would be appropriate. or a gear lecture? again if you’re soloing class 4 you’re probably pretty gear savvy. i did not want to sacrifice a day off to sit through a weather refresher or the benchmark progressions.
Soloing 4th class doesn't say much about someone's experience. I mean, "soloing" 4th class is kinda the default setting, at least in CO. Are there really that many people roping up on 4th class that they felt they needed to specify their experience has to be without pro and a rope?
Make wilderness less accessible.
pizza-sandwich
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pizza-sandwich »

Dave B wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:07 pm
pizza-sandwich wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:18 amif you’re totally okay soloing class 4 you probably know about weather. and 12min/mi for 5 miles is not in line with their scrambling requirements. maybe 9-10min would be appropriate. or a gear lecture? again if you’re soloing class 4 you’re probably pretty gear savvy. i did not want to sacrifice a day off to sit through a weather refresher or the benchmark progressions.
Soloing 4th class doesn't say much about someone's experience. I mean, "soloing" 4th class is kinda the default setting, at least in CO. Are there really that many people roping up on 4th class that they felt they needed to specify their experience has to be without pro and a rope?
what i mean is that your regular schmo isn’t going to walk up to 4th class ascents with a water bottle and say “yep this looks appropriate for me”, so someone who does see that and say “yep 100% this is not rope terrain and i can route this well enough to not get into a jam or fall no problemo” will probably have the mountain sense to see what the weathers going to do and what gear they need for the day.

yeah, in the big picture of climbing soloing 4th is just what you do. all i’m saying is that if someone’s a hell yeah on that in between rope and not rope rock, they’re probably experienced enough that weather and gear is something they’re pretty keyed in to.

if they’d dropped that to a 3rd class requirement with the reviews and 12min/mi i’d totally get it. i just don’t equate 4th class climbing with 12min pacing (over 5mi!) and gear/weather review classes. it just turned me off from the program given the weekly commitments.
jakethesnake_630
14ers: 23  5  3 
13ers: 40 10 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jakethesnake_630 »

Wary of even posting in this thread since it took a pretty odd turn, but .. I got in! I personally am super excited, I will take advantage of any way to learn more & improve in the peaks! Trail running is also my personal favorite way to travel in the mountains.. though I see & know that is a minority opinion :lol: :twisted:

Anyone else on here get picked/apply first? Would love to connect!

jake
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

I can't figure out if 12 min/miles seem fast or slow to everyone? If the terrain is pretty technical, seems pretty fast to me.
jakethesnake_630
14ers: 23  5  3 
13ers: 40 10 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jakethesnake_630 »

justiner wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:12 pm I can't figure out if 12 min/miles seem fast or slow to everyone? If the terrain is pretty technical, seems pretty fast to me.
I think it's super fast dude! I can run something like Bear in 10's but adding in a traverse (Kelso & Sawtooth) will really slow things down. I did Kelso in 15's last summer.. so gonna have to pick up the pace.

Hopefully that's what they're gonna teach me haha
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

jakethesnake_630 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:18 pm
justiner wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:12 pm I can't figure out if 12 min/miles seem fast or slow to everyone? If the terrain is pretty technical, seems pretty fast to me.
I think it's super fast dude! I can run something like Bear in 10's but adding in a traverse (Kelso & Sawtooth) will really slow things down. I did Kelso in 15's last summer.. so gonna have to pick up the pace.

Hopefully that's what they're gonna teach me haha
I thought it was super fast when I saw it too... pretty sure it would exclude average joe's like myself. Anyway, good luck with the program Jake, I would be interested in how it goes.
Last edited by Tornadoman on Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
COFitnessJenn
14ers: 30  2 
13ers: 17 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by COFitnessJenn »

seano wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:49 am "Peak Crushers?" The activity itself (by oneself) is wonderful, but what a cringe-worthy name... It sounds like a ready-made Instagram hashtag for a bunch of bros with caveman hair taking mountain selfies with the "shocker" sign and their tongues out.
Hahaha 100% agree....too much of that these days.
"Go where you feel most alive and never take simple moments in life for granted." "Mountains have a way of dealing with over confidence. Stay humble, despite how many mountains you climb. "