looking for adventure in Ecuador

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hansolo35
14ers: 42  3 
Trip Reports (10)

looking for adventure in Ecuador

Post by hansolo35 »

hey all,
I'm going to be in Ecuador May 4th -14th. If anyone else is going to be down there, I would love to link up and share some adventures together. looking to attempt Cotopaxi, view some waterfalls near Banos and maybe visit the Amazon? Cotoapxi is the only solid plan...everything else is whimsical. So, if anyone else is gonna be down there or wants to be down there during this time frame and would like some companionship, send me a message.
cheers!
mcgrawt9
14ers: 36  9  1 
13ers: 29 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: looking for adventure in Ecuador

Post by mcgrawt9 »

I won’t be but took a similar trip a few years ago. Pretty interesting climbing around Banos if you’re able to find a partner. Some great options near Quito for acclimatization hikes.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

hansolo35 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:07 pm hey all,
I'm going to be in Ecuador May 4th -14th. If anyone else is going to be down there, I would love to link up and share some adventures together. looking to attempt Cotopaxi, view some waterfalls near Banos and maybe visit the Amazon? Cotoapxi is the only solid plan...everything else is whimsical. So, if anyone else is gonna be down there or wants to be down there during this time frame and would like some companionship, send me a message.
cheers!
Is the country open?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

ker0uac wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:26 pm
cheers!
Is the country open?
Looks like the same level or travel restriction as Honduras, where I went last week.

https://ec.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-ecu-2/

I was 9 days on Roatan and it was pretty much business as usual on the West End and West Bay, but the big resorts on the rest of the island that I visited on my scooter tour were all closed, as were most of the cruise ship attractions.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Check out the Galapagos if your climb doesn't pan out, though have no idea how COVID has impacted that trip
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Wentzl wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:38 pm
ker0uac wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:26 pm
cheers!
Is the country open?
Looks like the same level or travel restriction as Honduras, where I went last week.

https://ec.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-ecu-2/

I was 9 days on Roatan and it was pretty much business as usual on the West End and West Bay, but the big resorts on the rest of the island that I visited on my scooter tour were all closed, as were most of the cruise ship attractions.
did you fly into roatan?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

Wentzl wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:38 pm .... the big resorts on the rest of the island that I visited on my scooter tour were all closed....
what's a scooter tour, may i ask?
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

I rented a scooter for the day, drove around.

Covered 80 miles on this bad boy.
IMG_2038[1].JPG
IMG_2038[1].JPG (277.23 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Tungurahua by banos is a fun thing to hike as a warmup for cotopaxi.
JGiffinPhotog
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JGiffinPhotog »

I went there a couple years ago at the same time of year & it's kind of the rainy season then, which comes with lightning on the high peaks. The lightning chased me off Rucu Pinchincha, which bummed me out, but I recommend that as a acclimatization hike to get you up over 15k (barring weather of course) & close to Quito.

Banos is awesome! Rent a bike for the ruta de las cascadas then soak it off in the hot springs! Lots of great stuff to do around Banos. It's a big tourist area, but a small town with a lot of charm & fun to see people from all over the world (although that's probably different now with the pandemic).

For the Amazon, I went to a sleepy old tourist town called Misahualli that was pretty cool & a little off the beaten path. It's supposedly known for the capuchin monkeys that are all around, but they were hiding from the rain when I was there. I heard Coca is a pretty cool spot & a bigger city a little deeper into the Amazon basin, but I didn't make it that far in. Enjoy whatever you do there. It's a great country with tons to do & see.
http://www.jgiffinphotos.com

"...Let's go exploring!" - Bill Watterson