Will we ever hike again?!?! Endless Snow!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Will we ever hike again?!?! Endless Snow!

Post by Ptglhs »

HikerGuy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:35 am I'll take the snow now if it means less smoke this summer.
And wildflowers in July, and drinking water this summer and fall, and a... Seriously, it's snowing April. This isn't a new thing. April is one of our snowiest months. I'm a fan of Summer conditions for hiking in the Alpine, but April seems a tad early to be over Treeline with no snow. A tad meaning 3 months.
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

Jim Davies wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:19 am I'm heading out to hike in the snow. It's pretty out there!
I think that's really the key. There are plenty of trails and summits in Colorado that provide an enjoyable and safe hike through the snow. And they're often significantly less crowded than in the summer. If one has the mentality that hiking season only corresponds to the snow-free season of June/July–September, it will be a long winter indeed!

Personally, I feel fortunate to live in a place with so many mountains that are accessible throughout the year, many of which require few or no technical skills regardless of how much it snows. Alaskans may have grander mountains, but good luck getting to them for most of the year.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Mitsugi wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:13 am Will the snow ever stop?! Will we ever hike again?!! No Spring or Summer this year, just snow clear through until December!!
Snowpack is well below normal:
snowpack 1.JPG
snowpack 1.JPG (92.43 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
It is below normal in all regions of Colorado.

Current snowpack (maybe it will go up slightly in some areas after the storm) is what it should be just before mid-May.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

HikerGuy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:35 am I'll take the snow now if it means less smoke this summer.
Not to say that any moisture isn't good moisture, but don't underestimate the importance of summer monsoon on fires. Last year South Platte basin had well above average snowfall (following 2019 that was even more above average) but also the two largest fires in Colorado history (well, technically East Troublesome was mostly in upper CO basin, but it did burn into SPlatte).

It got warm early, snow melted quickly, and monsoon precip never came. We also had a couple significant wind events during the fires that really screwed the pooch. Anyways, winter/spring precip isn't always predictive of fires.

splatte.PNG
splatte.PNG (310.35 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
Make wilderness less accessible.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Dave B wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:31 am
Not to say that any moisture isn't good moisture, but don't underestimate the importance of summer monsoon on fires. Last year South Platte basin had well above average snowfall (following 2019 that was even more above average) but also the two largest fires in Colorado history (well, technically East Troublesome was mostly in upper CO basin). It got warm early and monsoon precip never came. We also had a couple significant wind events during the fires that really screwed the pooch. Anyways, winter/spring precip isn't always predictive of fires.
I know, in fact it can make things worse if we do not get the monsoon as more fuels have grown and dried out. It really only helps with the early fire season. I remember one particularly bad June with smoke a few years ago, 2018 and the 416 Fire. And yes, last year we had our snowiest season ever in Boulder, but then we received practically zero precipitation until that big early snow.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Troublesome Fire started AFTER the northern mountains got a foot or more of early fall snow. The non-monsoon really screwed us last year.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy »

HikerGuy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:41 am
Dave B wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:31 am
Not to say that any moisture isn't good moisture, but don't underestimate the importance of summer monsoon on fires. Last year South Platte basin had well above average snowfall (following 2019 that was even more above average) but also the two largest fires in Colorado history (well, technically East Troublesome was mostly in upper CO basin). It got warm early and monsoon precip never came. We also had a couple significant wind events during the fires that really screwed the pooch. Anyways, winter/spring precip isn't always predictive of fires.
I know, in fact it can make things worse if we do not get the monsoon as more fuels have grown and dried out. It really only helps with the early fire season. I remember one particularly bad June with smoke a few years ago, 2018 and the 416 Fire. And yes, last year we had our snowiest season ever in Boulder, but then we received practically zero precipitation until that big early snow.
You also need a lot of snow. I mean a lot of snow and a lot of melted water in order to keep up with what a decent monsoon season can get us. There is just no replacement for good sets of consistent thunderstorms. All about soaking the ground.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

San Juans are hatin' it as far as snowpack goes. Hopefully they don't get torched this year:
update map.JPG
update map.JPG (112.06 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

What snow? We've gotten a trace in Crested butte this week, and maybe 3" up high. Wish we'd actually get some snow both for skiing and desperately needed moisture.
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stoopdude »

Successful troll by Mitsugi here.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Scott P wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:12 am
Snowpack is well below normal:

snowpack 1.JPG

It is below normal in all regions of Colorado.

Current snowpack (maybe it will go up slightly in some areas after the storm) is what it should be just before mid-May.
I've always heard that February is the snowiest month, followed by March, then April as the third snowiest month.
However, looking at this graph it seems to be the opposite. April is the snowiest, then March, then February as the third snowiest.
I don't think the graph is a cumulative chart.
I should be on a mountain
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:35 am
I've always heard that February is the snowiest month, followed by March, then April as the third snowiest month.
However, looking at this graph it seems to be the opposite. April is the snowiest, then March, then February as the third snowiest.
I don't think the graph is a cumulative chart.
A very quick google search revealed that March and April are the two snowiest months in Denver....

https://www.weather.gov/bou/denverannua ... l1882-2014
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"