Will we ever hike again?!?! Endless Snow!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mitsugi
14ers: 32  3 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Will we ever hike again?!?! Endless Snow!

Post by Mitsugi »

Will the snow ever stop?! Will we ever hike again?!! No Spring or Summer this year, just snow clear through until December!!
Trolling unintentionally since 6/30/2019...
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Will we ever hike again?!?! Endless Snow!

Post by Dave B »

It's April.
Make wilderness less accessible.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

Mitsugi wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:13 am Will the snow ever stop?! Will we ever hike again?!! No Spring or Summer this year, just snow clear through until December!!
Sounds good to me.

The snowpack is quite below average for this time of year. The current snowfall notwithstanding (which will probably be gone in a week), there should be more hiking objectives in play than usual?
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

It’s April and hasn’t snowed in a few weeks. I’ve seen plenty of people hiking and getting after it.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Here's how we look currently - https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/co/snow/
SW Utah/western slopes are always an option if you want dry hiking.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

It snowed more last year on this day in Northern Colorado than it did last night.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Mitsugi wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:13 am Will the snow ever stop?! Will we ever hike again?!! No Spring or Summer this year, just snow clear through until December!!
Are you new to Colorado? Here in Conifer, it can snow into early June. This is typical and peaks don’t clear off until July.
Century Bound, eventually.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

If the current drought continues, there will be low-snow 14ers by Fathers Day, somewhat early this year.
Statewide snowpack is 85% of normal and started declining two weeks earlier than usual (April 1 instead of April 15.) The exception is the Front Range South Platte basin which is slightly above normal.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I'm heading out to hike in the snow. It's pretty out there!
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

I'll take the snow now if it means less smoke this summer.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

I hope it doesnt stop snowing! Id rather not see another fire year like we had last year. FYI: average last day for measurable snow in Denver is generally May 12th
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage