Climbing a Peak: What it takes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Climbing a Peak: What it takes

Post by timisimaginary »

LifeIsGood wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:46 am
timisimaginary wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:22 ami "climbed" a ladder
What would be the equivalent rating for a normal ladder?, probably just class 4?

Maintain three points of contact!!!
if the ladder is vertical, it's climbing.
if the ladder is horizontal, it's mountaineering.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

I kind of always thought of the class as being dependent on the steepness, although not entirely. Maybe I got that from Roach? Wouldn't a completely vertical ladder be 5.0? It is straight up but obviously very easy hand and foot placement. Or am I way off here?

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Hillwalking and rambling.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
LifeIsGood
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LifeIsGood »

Apparently I had not actually read this SquareTop trip report:

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=21003

-turns out the word ‘climbing’ is in there, so now I have to clarify to the author, and everyone else, that I wasn’t picking on you. Your usage is inline with common usage on this site.

the members here may be overly passionate at times, and certainly nitpicky, but generally all in good humor.

it’s doubtful anyone truly cares how the word ‘climbing’ is used, or the term ‘skied a peak’, for that matter, unless done for some kind of record or comparison to others
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I climb and step up both my extension and step ladders. Maybe it would be best to replace "climb" with "step" in all of those route descriptions. Oh, wait, I don't care.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 33 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:15 pm I climb and step up both my extension and step ladders. Maybe it would be best to replace "climb" with "step" in all of those route descriptions. Oh, wait, I don't care.
I thought, I taught, I wrought