Sleeping on a Peak: What it Takes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Sleeping on a Peak: What it Takes

Post by cougar »

Think Dr Jon set the standard, but for those checking these off, do you have to sleep exactly on the summit? Sunset to sunrise, or minimum number of hours sleeping on each summit to qualify? Tent or bivy?
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Sleeping on a Peak: What it Takes

Post by pvnisher »

There's a community consensus on the rules, although no one actually agrees on them. But if you don't claim to follow Dr Jon rules, you're clearly a noob and a new generation poseur.
You must sleep for 8 hours, with smart watch verification. It's called SLEEPING on the summit, not LAYING on the summit.
If you don't sleep, it doesn't count. All the Z icons on your noob checklist don't count.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Do the sleep hours have to be at night, or could you sleep from 9 am to 5 pm? And what's Dr Jon's definition of "night" (since he's making the rules)? Sunset to sunrise? Civil, nautical or astronomical twilight?
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

If you're not blasted off the summit because of an afternoon thuderstorm, it doesnt count.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

When I heard him talk some time ago, the criterium was to photograph the sunset and sunrise from the peak, if possible.