Drinking on a Peak: What it Takes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Drinking on a Peak: What it Takes

Post by cougar »

Summit beer, wine, or liquor? Has to match the season. drink every mile, every 1000ft up and down, like the beer mile? Are people still carrying kegs up to the summits? Several checklist icons may be needed.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Drinking on a Peak: What it Takes

Post by RyGuy »

Might as well keep it to the standards set by the National Institute on Alcohol. Keeps it simple.

12 ounces of regular beer, which is usually about 5% alcohol (If bringing a VooDoo Ranger Double Imperial beer or something similar, 6 ounces is acceptable given the ~9% alcohol content)
5 ounces of wine, which is typically about 12% alcohol
1.5 ounces of distilled spirits, which is about 40% alcohol (You can substitute .75 ounces of something if you are going with something 80% for weight efficiency)

Then as it pertains to 14ers:
The drink must be consumed after reaching the summit, but before departing the summit. (Unranked summits do count)
No help from climbing partners. You need to finish the entire quantity of measured drink. (Basically, you gotta go solo on this one, but moral support from partners is allowed)
You need to pack out the original container. Breaking LNT results in a disqualification and you must repeat the peak in question.
Photographic evidence is required, showing both the drink, measurements both before and after consuming plus a good view of peaks nearby to establish you were actually made it to the summit. (This will be verified by a select panel on the forum using Parallax and known summit photos)

And I think that covers it!

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

RyGuy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:28 am (If bringing a VooDoo Ranger Double Imperial beer or something similar, 6 ounces is acceptable given the ~9% alcohol content)
No, you drink 12oz but count that as two summits to pad your numbers.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

What was not mentioned was that the all important 3,000 feet of elevation gain must be obtained or peak does not count, and said liquids cannot be consumed.

This of course applies only to 3,000 foot obsessed individuals such as myself.
As I do not, under any circumstances consume alcohol, my summit drink is the same as my breakfast and dinner drink. Lemon lime Gatorade, and a pop tart for a snack.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

We really running this joke into the ground.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 33 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

Trotter wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:49 pm We really running this joke into the ground.
Running it to the Ground: What it Takes
I thought, I taught, I wrought
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

k_fergie wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:52 pm
Trotter wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:49 pm We really running this joke into the ground.
On the sex thread, someone said something about we haven't gone far from the tree of Capt CO posts...or something akin to that.
Well, this....
Getting Banned: What it Takes.

(Except for those that have been banned, they can't respond with their input! At least under original user name.)
NM_Hiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NM_Hiker »

IMO, if it's beer, it's got to be a Colorado beer. And yes, that swill of a banquet beer does count but not advisable.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

k_fergie wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:52 pm
Damn, you stole my unique thought.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilerness™
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Nuff said:
DSC07870 - Copy.JPG
DSC07870 - Copy.JPG (229.65 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
Extra credit for the peak: Hint - San Juans
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Wish I lived in CO wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:24 pm Nuff said:

DSC07870 - Copy.JPG

Uh, that's in a river....lol
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

d_baker wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:56 pm
Wish I lived in CO wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:24 pm Nuff said:

DSC07870 - Copy.JPG

Uh, that's in a river....lol
Yeh OK. .......... Wilson group, Kilpacker approach. :-D
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2