Sailplane Over the Sawatch

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vondiesel
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Sailplane Over the Sawatch

Post by vondiesel »

Hi all,

Want to see a different view of the Sawatch? Check this out:

It's a pilot in a glider/sailplane flying over most of the 14ers in the Sawatch. Seriously high-performance peak-bagging. :-D

Admins: Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum. Feel free to move if needed.
Harrison1991
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sailplane Over the Sawatch

Post by Harrison1991 »

Sailplaning a peak: what it takes
Molasses
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Molasses »

Waaaay Cool! Thanks for sharing.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

You bringing supplemental O2 on that there glider?
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

jmanner wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:42 am You bringing supplemental O2 on that there glider?
They have to by FAA law above 14k
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
jmanner
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Trotter wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:25 pm
jmanner wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:42 am You bringing supplemental O2 on that there glider?
They have to by FAA law above 14k
Im aware, which is which is why I used the term “supplemental o2”, but glider pilots are notorious about not using it. It’s heavy and the o2 has about 0% moisture. This guy is clearly screwing around at 16-18,000’, which is the low end of where the jets coming in from the west are. I’d put some money on our author wasn’t using any.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

jmanner wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:29 am
Im aware, which is which is why I used the term “supplemental o2”, but glider pilots are notorious about not using it. It’s heavy and the o2 has about 0% moisture. This guy is clearly screwing around at 16-18,000’, which is the low end of where the jets coming in from the west are. I’d put some money on our author wasn’t using any.
Should he go to jail?
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
jmanner
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

XterraRob wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:13 pm
jmanner wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:29 am
Should he go to jail?
Why no troll, but he probably shouldnt put it on Youtube and then share it on the internet. The FAA, it turns out, is aware of Youtube and is known to violate pilots, pull their certifications.

XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

jmanner wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:52 pm Why no troll, but he probably shouldnt put it on Youtube and then share it on the internet. The FAA, it turns out, is aware of Youtube and is known to violate pilots, pull their certifications.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™