Early season hikes?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kilgoretrout
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Early season hikes?

Post by kilgoretrout »

I feel the need for a vacation. Would prefer to not wait 2 more months. Is there anything I could do that wouldn't be too muddy or slushy and little to no avalanche risk? Don't really mind the snow and I can dress warm but I don't much want to walk through a bunch of mud. Is this totally unrealistic and I should just wait a couple more months? I've only hiked a couple 14ers so far but I've hiked in the snow and cold before.
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Early season hikes?

Post by Alpine Guy »

You could hike on the Continentsl Divide from near Loveland Pass - expect cold, snow and wind but pretty sure you won't have mud up there. Lost Creek Wilderness is generally good for early season hikes to avoid the deep snow of higher destinations, but you'll probably find mud somewhere along the way.
Roll No Rocks
pbarn
14ers: 51 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pbarn »

Alpine Guy wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:36 am You could hike on the Continentsl Divide from near Loveland Pass - expect cold, snow and wind but pretty sure you won't have mud up there. Lost Creek Wilderness is generally good for early season hikes to avoid the deep snow of higher destinations, but you'll probably find mud somewhere along the way.
The CD from Berthoud Pass should also be totally doable. I hiked up to Flora/Eva a few weeks ago and the ridge is largely windswept so not a lot of snow above treeline - mostly just rock and trail. You can make quite a day and push over to James as well if you wanted to.

It was stunning - and I came home to Denver feeling like I'd been on a 4hr vacation :)
kilgoretrout
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kilgoretrout »

pbarn wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:56 pm
Alpine Guy wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:36 am You could hike on the Continentsl Divide from near Loveland Pass - expect cold, snow and wind but pretty sure you won't have mud up there. Lost Creek Wilderness is generally good for early season hikes to avoid the deep snow of higher destinations, but you'll probably find mud somewhere along the way.
The CD from Berthoud Pass should also be totally doable. I hiked up to Flora/Eva a few weeks ago and the ridge is largely windswept so not a lot of snow above treeline - mostly just rock and trail. You can make quite a day and push over to James as well if you wanted to.

It was stunning - and I came home to Denver feeling like I'd been on a 4hr vacation :)
That looks pretty cool. Do you think that's doable without snowshoes? I have microspikes, and I have giant feet, the one pair of snowshoes I tried on once would not fit. Taking that ridge all the way to James would be a heck of a long day.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I think bear peak via fern canyon by boulder is great. For a lower peak, there is quite a bit of elevation gain. It is wonderful hike and close to Denver with great views of the Indian peaks.
pbarn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pbarn »

kilgoretrout wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:21 pm

That looks pretty cool. Do you think that's doable without snowshoes? I have microspikes, and I have giant feet, the one pair of snowshoes I tried on once would not fit. Taking that ridge all the way to James would be a heck of a long day.
I didn’t use snowshoes at all. The trail under tree line that goes up to Colorado Mines Peak is usually very well worn by skiers. Then it’s straight across the ridge.

Yeah to get to James would turn it into a solid day. But you can really just go’s as far as you like and tag as many points as you like.

Just stay away from the beautiful cornices :)
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

May-June training hikes I like to drive to a high pass, then hike uphill. You get altitude conditioning and immediate great views. Some passes are open year round. Others open for the summer sometime between May 15 and July 1. Loveland Pass, Berthoud, Kenosha, Hoosier are options. You can also go to a pass closure in late spring, then hike (or bike) the mostly snowfree road without car traffic. Mt Evans Road and Trailridge are options.
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

pbarn wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:48 am

I didn’t use snowshoes at all. The trail under tree line that goes up to Colorado Mines Peak is usually very well worn by skiers. Then it’s straight across the ridge.

Yeah to get to James would turn it into a solid day. But you can really just go’s as far as you like and tag as many points as you like.

How did it look off the east side of the ridge down to the lakes? I want to start at either Chinns or Lomond and get the Bancroft-Parry-Eva group but imagine it might be a while before that clears up.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
habaceeba
14ers: 27 
13ers: 93 1 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by habaceeba »

montanahiker wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:34 pm How did it look off the east side of the ridge down to the lakes? I want to start at either Chinns or Lomond and get the Bancroft-Parry-Eva group but imagine it might be a while before that clears up.
The road up to Chinn's is on a north facing slope in the trees. I would bet it will be a while before you can drive up there. I'm not speaking from experience but from researching that route as well. If anyone has any more clear info about that I'd like to hear it.
pbarn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pbarn »

montanahiker wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:34 pm

How did it look off the east side of the ridge down to the lakes? I want to start at either Chinns or Lomond and get the Bancroft-Parry-Eva group but imagine it might be a while before that clears up.
The east side was super snowy still. It won't be dry (if that's what you're looking for) for some time. Agree with @habaceeba about the access roads likely to be impassable for a while still also.
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

pbarn wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:57 pm
montanahiker wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:34 pm

The east side was super snowy still. It won't be dry (if that's what you're looking for) for some time. Agree with @habaceeba about the access roads likely to be impassable for a while still also.
Thanks. Figured that was the case. I don't need it to be dry but getting up the road would be nice. :)
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

montanahiker wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:34 pm How did it look off the east side of the ridge down to the lakes? I want to start at either Chinns or Lomond and get the Bancroft-Parry-Eva group but imagine it might be a while before that clears up.
I did a car to car with another member in sept of 2019. Picked them up at Saint Mary's semi permanent snow field and drove to Berthoud pass. We hiked Flora, Eva, Parry, Bancroft, and James. Saw 3 people on Flora and a couple dozen on the way down from James. No one on the peaks in the middle. It's a pretty mellow hike, but not much of a trail between Flora and James. It's the Continental Divide, but the CDT goes over Flora, drops off to the east, then goes over James without touching the 3 peaks in the middle. There are cairns and use segments, so clearly enough people have done it. Google maps shows a trail over the peaks, but the signage (and the physical trail) head East from flora to the lakes.

I've also done Flora in April (of 19) and the alpine sections were mostly snow free, even in a historic snow year.