Buckskin Access with Decalibron Closure

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jorgito
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 100 6
Trip Reports (0)

Buckskin Access with Decalibron Closure

Post by Jorgito »

How will the Decalibron Closure affect access to Buckskin this May? I was planning on skiing it in the next few weeks, and I'm hoping I don't have to wait until June. Also, if anyone else is interested in joining, I'm always down to meet new partners.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Re: Buckskin Access with Decalibron Closure

Post by SnowAlien »

Jorgito wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:15 pm How will the Decalibron Closure affect access to Buckskin this May? I was planning on skiing it in the next few weeks, and I'm hoping I don't have to wait until June. Also, if anyone else is interested in joining, I'm always down to meet new partners.
I'd love to ski Buckskin from Fremont side. One of my favorite skis in Tenmile :) add Tweto if feeling frisky.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

The Tweto-Buckskin traverse isn't really too bad - at least not when I did a September traverse of it - not sure what it would be like right now. Mostly just the last little bit up Buckskin that has some short class 3, but snow/ice might possibly push you into some mild class 4 depending on conditions.

But you couldn't legally go down/out the Kite Lake side until June 1 when Alma's lease kicks in again. As for other ski possibilities - I know nothing - see SnowAlien's comment for that.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Buckskin doesn't have private land issues so it shouldn't be affected. Alma's lease has nothing to do with Buckskin.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Scott P wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:58 pm Buckskin doesn't have private land issues so it shouldn't be affected. Alma's lease has nothing to do with Buckskin.
The peak itself, no. Access to the peak via the standard Kite Lake approach, yes - until June 1.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

daway8 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:35 am
Scott P wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:58 pm Buckskin doesn't have private land issues so it shouldn't be affected. Alma's lease has nothing to do with Buckskin.
The peak itself, no. Access to the peak via the standard Kite Lake approach, yes - until June 1.
I have a hard time believing that, but I'll bite. If you don't have to park on or hike on private land, why is it closed? Parking and the hike is 100% on Forest Service Land.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

There are no access issues with Buckskin, even with this temporary closure of the nearby 14er summits. The road is public and it's public land to the top of Buckskin.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Guess I misunderstood the issues going on there. Carry on.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

daway8 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:42 am Guess I misunderstood the issues going on there. Carry on.
For anyone who wants to see what is closed, both from hiking the summits and parking around Kite Lake, I posted highlighted maps in the other thread.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

Just thought I'd throw this out there: on Thursday morning, I drove up the Kite Lake road in hopes of getting a quick-ish climb/ski in. The end of the plowed section was surrounded by "No Parking" signs threatening that violators' vehicles would be towed. I have no idea how enforceable that threat is or whether whoever posted those signs is serious about that enforcement, but they scared me into going for Quandary instead (successfully, yay! ...but still).
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:01 am Just thought I'd throw this out there: on Thursday morning, I drove up the Kite Lake road in hopes of getting a quick-ish climb/ski in. The end of the plowed section was surrounded by "No Parking" signs threatening that violators' vehicles would be towed. I have no idea how enforceable that threat is or whether whoever posted those signs is serious about that enforcement, but they scared me into going for Quandary instead (successfully, yay! ...but still).
If the parking is on private land, then yes it is enforceable. Make sure to find out where the public and private land is and don't park on private land.

The road itself is owned by the public and is public domain (as is the ROW immediately next to the road), but that's not true of all the lands adjacent to the road. It's easy to view the maps on where the public and private lands are.