June Snow Cover

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
trekingwithhim
Trip Reports (0)

June Snow Cover

Post by trekingwithhim »

I have never hiked 14ers in June, always later in the summer. I am hoping to hike Sherman with my son, Evans, and Grays/Torrey's (Kelso Ridge) by myself around Father's day. What should I expect for snow cover a that point? Thanks.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: June Snow Cover

Post by Cruiser »

It's still too far out to know for sure but this has been a relatively light snow year along the front range. So I would guess there'll be some patchy snow to contend with but nothing that'll require traction or flotation on any of those routes.

Also worth noting that the fs is planning a timed entry system for mt evans this summer. They haven't released the details of the reservation system yet but it's something to be aware of in terms of creating your itinerary.
Where ever you are... There you are.
trekingwithhim
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trekingwithhim »

Cruiser wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:27 am Also worth noting that the fs is planning a timed entry system for mt evans this summer. They haven't released the details of the reservation system yet but it's something to be aware of in terms of creating your itinerary.
Thank you! I had not heard that. I will look into it more. Maybe we should come at it from the Beirstadt Trailhead side. That trail up the gully between Spaulding and Evans is horrible. I'll see what I can find out. Thanks.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Cruiser wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:27 am It's still too far out to know for sure but this has been a relatively light snow year along the front range. So I would guess there'll be some patchy snow to contend with but nothing that'll require traction or flotation on any of those routes.
The Front Range snowpack is at 103 percent currently.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

If you end up going from guanella pass then take a look thru the trip reports because there's a nice way to avoid the gomer gully entirely, favoring a more gentle route that ascends from the boardwalk up the west slopes of Spaulding and then rejoining the main trail as it crosses the top of the gully on the way to Evans west ridge.
Where ever you are... There you are.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

i suspect that Sherman will be the driest of the bunch, but it usually holds snow through june and you can enjoy a couple fun glissades down. (maybe make sure your tetanus shot is current? all the mining debris at the bottom of that second one give me the heebs)

all of these trails are popular enough that you shouldn't need any flotation. traction might be a nice supplement, but probably not necessary. be prepared for the road to G/T to be pretty full, and possibly not totally thawed out by mid june after a heavy snow year in the front range
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis