Masks in the Mountains

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Will you wear a mask on your next 14er ascent?

Yes. I will wear 2 masks until told otherwise.
2%
Yes. My mask shows that I care for your health.
8%
Yes. I don't know up from down, but it is important to signal virtue.
2%
Maybe, depends on what the person in front of me is doing.
8%
No. My face is too pretty to hide.
7%
No. The mask thing is so 2020.
3%
No. I read the science and masks outside are absurd.
64%
No. I voted for Trump and I don't think he would approve.
6%

Total votes: 173
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Re: Masks in the Mountains

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Dave B wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:03 pm Useless fear-mongering hyperbole is useless.
I'd take a look at the roll the media/government/cdc has had in fear mongering, if we are being honest about this. Right now, in 70 degree weather I can go to Wash Park and see people running, fricken RUNNING, in masks. Outside, and likely fully vaccinated. That is the effect the fear mongering has had. I can find little children there playing outdoor sports masked up as well. Again, a result of fear. None of these actions are based in science, or ever have been. Its complete paranoia, and it was put into their minds to be this scared and irrational from somewhere.

Normally I wouldn't care about people being that insane, however they have political power and apply their level of fear to force me to adjust my life as well. Its not enough for them to live how they see fit. Oh no, everyone else has to change too.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:14 pm
Dave B wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:03 pm Useless fear-mongering hyperbole is useless.
I'd take a look at the roll the media/government/cdc has had in fear mongering, if we are being honest about this. Right now, in 70 degree weather I can go to Wash Park and see people running, fricken RUNNING, in masks. Outside, and likely fully vaccinated. That is the effect the fear mongering has had. I can find little children there playing outdoor sports masked up as well. Again, a result of fear. None of these actions are based in science, or ever have been. Its complete paranoia, and it was put into their minds to be this scared and irrational from somewhere.

Normally I wouldn't care about people being that insane, however they have political power and apply their level of fear to force me to adjust my life as well. Its not enough for them to live how they see fit. Oh no, everyone else has to change too.
Your subjective interpretation of an agency or their actions doesn't mean anything. There are laws the prevent government employees acting in an official capacity that implies a political affiliation. If there was a legitimate case against CDC employees acting in a political way, there would be lawsuits against them already. Or maybe you should spearhead that effort, since these laws are easily litigated and strongly enforced, it would be a literal slam-dunk *if* you have evidence.

Otherwise, useless hyperbole is useless.
Make wilderness less accessible.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Dave B wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:09 pm
ker0uac wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:01 pm That only applies to when YOU were injured by the government. You cant sue for damages just bc you dont agree with the government's policies. If that were the case, at any point in time, about half of the country would be suing the government. You don't need to be a lawyer to apply common sense. But ok, let's all call up a laywer bc the CDC said in March that masks don't help, which it's not true.
Dude, c'mon, at least do a bit of research. A five second google search shows there's already a lawsuit against the fed from SDNY. I'm sure there are others, maybe take a second to question your assumptions rather than argue blindly.

https://www.law.com/newyorklawjournal/2 ... 0413140746
I did - it's called sovereign immunity and qualified immunity. The FTAC allows in some limited instances, but I bet you knew that already and just simply chose to withhold that important information. Basically you can't sue the govt unless the govt says it's ok to do so. You can try, it doesn't mean it will be heard by a judge before being thrown out.

Also the lawsuit isn't from the SDNY. A group of citizens represented by a private law firm filed a lawsuit in federal court.

Also, there's a difference between the government failing to comply with laws, statutes, regulations, etc and the government choosing policies that don't please everyone.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Somewhat of a Prick
Trip Reports (17)

Dave B wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:21 pm

Your subjective interpretation of an agency or their actions doesn't mean anything. There are laws the prevent government employees acting in an official capacity that implies a political affiliation. If there was a legitimate case against CDC employees acting in a political way, there would be lawsuits against them already. Or maybe you should spearhead that effort, since these laws are easily litigated and strongly enforced, it would be a literal slam-dunk *if* you have evidence.

Otherwise, useless hyperbole is useless.
My criticism wasn't only relegated to the CDC. They have made mistakes and played a roll in irrational fear in some, but my post was primarily targeted towards the media and government as a whole.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

Dave B wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:14 pm
Uh, huh, yep the CDC still doesn't write laws. An eviction moratorium is not a law. I thought all you guys were constitutional scholars?

There's a link above to the wikipedia page on how the US government works and how laws are written, I suggest you give it a gander.
The president doesn't make laws either, but we live in clown world where the government runs roughshod over the constitution and makes up rules outside the agreed-upon process which affect our lives in the same way. If it walks like a duck and if it quacks like a duck...

When the CDC makes nice requests instead of mandates with the threat of force backing them, then you can apply your worldgames to whatever you want to call it.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

crossfitter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:24 pm
Uh, huh, yep the CDC still doesn't write laws. An eviction moratorium is not a law. I thought all you guys were constitutional scholars?

There's a link above to the wikipedia page on how the US government works and how laws are written, I suggest you give it a gander.
The president doesn't make laws either, but we live in clown world where the government runs roughshod over the constitution and makes up rules outside the agreed-upon process which affect our lives in the same way. If it walks like a duck and if it quacks like a duck...

When the CDC makes nice requests instead of mandates with the threat of force backing them, then you can apply your worldgames to whatever you want to call it.
More hyperbole and now conjecture. Meaningless as before. Subjective interpretations of government functioning is meaningless. There are plenty of other subjective interpretations out there that run counter to yours and they carry no more weight than yours.

This is a nation of laws. Find evidence, file lawsuits, or GTFO.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Somewhat of a Prick
Trip Reports (17)

supranihilest wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:37 am
crossfitter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:35 am The vaccines work, once you get it, the disease becomes a non-issue. [emphasis mine]
Nope. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... o%20others.

I will note that the very next sentence says
However, the benefits of relaxing some measures such as testing and self-quarantine requirements for travelers, post-exposure quarantine requirements and reducing social isolation may outweigh the residual risk of fully vaccinated people becoming ill with COVID-19 or transmitting the virus to others. [emphasis mine]
No, those two thoughts are not contradictory. It says some, not all.
At the bottom of the link you used to challenge crossfitter:

"Preprints have not been peer-reviewed. They should not be regarded as conclusive, guide clinical practice/health-related behavior, or be reported in news media as established information."
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Right now, in 70 degree weather I can go to Wash Park and see people running, fricken RUNNING, in masks. Outside, and likely fully vaccinated. That is the effect the fear mongering has had. I can find little children there playing outdoor sports masked up as well. Again, a result of fear. None of these actions are based in science, or ever have been. Its complete paranoia, and it was put into their minds to be this scared and irrational from somewhere.
Interesting, I've ridden both GM and BCLP in the past two weeks, I don't recall more than handful of peeps total wearing masks. I've driven by the local park where grade school kids have baseball practice and don't recall them wearing masks. I live a block from a grade school, and I never see those kids outside (recess, lunch) with a mask on. Not a lot of fear and paranoia on my side of town.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

ker0uac wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:11 pm CDC can't make law but that doesn't keep them from trying:
"A federal district court judge in Washington, D.C. recently ruled that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s September 2020 order on evictions was unconstitutional. The main issue in the case is whether Congress gave the CDC the power to enact an eviction moratorium in the Public Health Services Act of 1944. Congress passes laws and the federal agencies implement them. Agencies cannot act outside of the power given to them by Congress."

Yet, that didn't keep liberals from advocating for CDC's overreach:
"Limiting the authority of the CDC to impose an eviction moratorium it finds necessary to curb COVID-19 transmission would also significantly curtail the ability of the CDC to impose other unanticipated measures in response to a future pandemic, no matter what those might be and no matter the severity of the danger some future disease might pose."

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/ ... th-now-and

I know it's not a law. But if it's not a law, why was it implemented by the govt as if it was to the point that a federal judge had to strike it down? Isn't that the very own definition of overreach curbed by the courts?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Somewhat of a Prick
Trip Reports (17)

rijaca wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:28 pm
Right now, in 70 degree weather I can go to Wash Park and see people running, fricken RUNNING, in masks. Outside, and likely fully vaccinated. That is the effect the fear mongering has had. I can find little children there playing outdoor sports masked up as well. Again, a result of fear. None of these actions are based in science, or ever have been. Its complete paranoia, and it was put into their minds to be this scared and irrational from somewhere.
Interesting, I've ridden both GM and BCLP in the past two weeks, I don't recall more than handful of peeps total wearing masks. I've driven by the local park where grade school kids have baseball practice and don't recall them wearing masks. I live a block from a grade school, and I never see those kids outside (recess, lunch) with a mask on. Not a lot of fear and paranoia on my side of town.
Could be. I'm just reporting on what I see biking along the cherry creek path to downtown, and working out at Wash Park after work. Plenty of outdoor mask insanity abound. Walk down 16th street mall sometime, at least 30% of people are outdoor masking, and that might be conservative. Hell, the amount of masks I saw on Green Mountain in Boulder last weekend was astonishing. True Branch Covidians. Very devout
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

rijaca wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:28 pm
I'd love to trade places with you.

Here in boulder, I haven't gone a day in over a year without seeing MULTIPLE people walking/jogging/biking alone every day I leave the house. The other day I counted 4 cyclists in a 10 minute span that pulled their mask up for the 0.25 seconds we passed each other on the bike path with the sun shining and a closing speed of 30mph+
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Dave B wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:28 amThen there are people who exist somewhere between the two bonkers extremes you present. It is possible to have confidence in the government in some cases but not others. Thinking the government seized on an opportunity to social engineer via masks and social distancing during a literal pandemic is fanatical and insane.

"submissiveness" lol
Look what happened post 9/11 with the institution of costly & wasteful Forever Wars, endless talk of WMDs, Patriot Acts I & II, Ra-Ra Freedom Fries!, and the disparagement of foreigners for the sake of foreign policy.

And you trust these people?

Here's your clown nose:
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™