Masks in the Mountains

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Will you wear a mask on your next 14er ascent?

Yes. I will wear 2 masks until told otherwise.
2%
Yes. My mask shows that I care for your health.
8%
Yes. I don't know up from down, but it is important to signal virtue.
2%
Maybe, depends on what the person in front of me is doing.
8%
No. My face is too pretty to hide.
7%
No. The mask thing is so 2020.
3%
No. I read the science and masks outside are absurd.
64%
No. I voted for Trump and I don't think he would approve.
6%

Total votes: 173
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Masks in the Mountains

Post by Wentzl »

Not Shelter in Place, but maybe fun for some.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Masks in the Mountains

Post by cedica »

If I may, Sir, your polling acts are becoming increasingly daring with each passing time. Bravo =D>
Weissie und Roy.jpg
Weissie und Roy.jpg (57.56 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
Discuss.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

This thread omits the option of being "fully vaccinated". That reduces the the chance of being infected by a factor of of 20. It also appears to reduce the effects of serious complications like hospitalization and death by a factor of 40-50, although that was not the point of clinical trials.

Masks may have been a precaution on crowded trails before vaccination, e.g. Brainard Lake area. But not necessary after full vaccination.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I wasn't before, but CDC now states they're unnecessary unless in large dense groups outdoors (e.g. concert). I've also had my microchip/5g nanobot upload completed.
Make wilderness less accessible.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Dave B wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:03 am I've also had my microchip/5g nanobot upload completed.
I've got both shoulders done to facilitate MIMO signal spatial diversity. Cancelled my expensive wireless plan the other day, now I just connect to myself (ssid: ModeRNA_SSN; pwd: pizzagatesoros) to receive multiple Gbps downstreams without issues. Watching 8k videos and playing Call of Duty at the same time.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

I am fully vaccinated and I don't get nearly close enough to people to possibly transmit anything in the mountains, but I almost always have a buff around my head or neck anyway. if a person sees me approaching and stops to put their mask on, this is obviously important to them and/or something they'll worry about, and it costs me literally nothing to just put the thing over my face for 30 seconds, whether or not it'd be scientifically possible for me to get them sick, it's just a way to show a little bit of respect/care. It's less of an inconvenience than holding myself up for 15 seconds to hold a door for someone carrying things.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

masks outside in a crowded place? yes
masks outside on a hiking trail? no
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

CoHi591 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:50 am I am fully vaccinated and I don't get nearly close enough to people to possibly transmit anything in the mountains, but I almost always have a buff around my head or neck anyway. if a person sees me approaching and stops to put their mask on, this is obviously important to them and/or something they'll worry about, and it costs me literally nothing to just put the thing over my face for 30 seconds, whether or not it'd be scientifically possible for me to get them sick, it's just a way to show a little bit of respect/care. It's less of an inconvenience than holding myself up for 15 seconds to hold a door for someone carrying things.
Pretty much this for me as well.
cedica wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:37 am
Dave B wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:03 am I've also had my microchip/5g nanobot upload completed.
I've got both shoulders done to facilitate MIMO signal spatial diversity. Cancelled my expensive wireless plan the other day, now I just connect to myself (ssid: ModeRNA_SSN; pwd: pizzagatesoros) to receive multiple Gbps downstreams without issues. Watching 8k videos and playing Call of Duty at the same time.
I haven't had anything like that since my jabs, just a weird inclination to obsessively use MS Office tools. It's probably nothing.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

Wearing a mask AND being fully vaccinated...while outside? No.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

RyGuy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:23 am Wearing a mask AND being fully vaccinated...while outside? No.
I'm getting the vaccine soon and when I do, I plan to stop wearing a mask it public.
Be the best you that you can be.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

I'm glad it only took people a year to come to their senses on what was an obvious call since the beginning.

The threat of getting covid from 5 seconds of passing a stranger on a trail is and has always been effectively zero. When you add vaccinations into the mix, the threat is indistinguishable from zero. When you account for the IFR of covid, the threat of getting it from a stranger and dying while vaccinated is about 8 million times lower than being struck by lightning.

If people want to wear masks still, that's their right, but I'm not playing. They can hold their breath while we pass if their irrational fear is that great.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

The Faith Militant will continue to mask up on trails with great religious fervor