Masks in the Mountains

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Will you wear a mask on your next 14er ascent?

Yes. I will wear 2 masks until told otherwise.
2%
Yes. My mask shows that I care for your health.
8%
Yes. I don't know up from down, but it is important to signal virtue.
2%
Maybe, depends on what the person in front of me is doing.
8%
No. My face is too pretty to hide.
7%
No. The mask thing is so 2020.
3%
No. I read the science and masks outside are absurd.
64%
No. I voted for Trump and I don't think he would approve.
6%

Total votes: 173
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Masks in the Mountains

Post by Dave B »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:07 am Because there is little evidence masks work, and there are harmful downsides to them as well. Children growing up not seeing facial expressions on people, the deaf or hard of hearing can't read lips, etc.
Not true, the dramatically lower rate of the flu and common cold this year directly point to beneficial impacts of masks (and social distancing) on disease transmission.
Make wilderness less accessible.
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

hope somebody can help me out here. we've had no flu season 2020-21, mirroring the experience down under--oz and nz. but masks don't work?
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:04 am Many people don't like government but that doesn't mean common sense and doing the right thing should also go out the window.

Sure, maybe the masks only help a bit or make your glasses fog up but why not try to help the country as a whole.
Sure, the vaccination might hurt your arm but why not try to help the country as a whole.
They don't trust an authority that they feel isn't acting in their best interest, they are even willing to risk their health over it. Can you blame them? I don't.

The amalgamation of Government & Corporate America means things may happen that aren't in the General Public's best interest but stand to make some companies a lot of money. This concept is nothing new though, Big Pharma & Big Tech are certainly enjoying present times.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Dave B wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:19 am
Somewhat of a Prick wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:07 am Because there is little evidence masks work, and there are harmful downsides to them as well. Children growing up not seeing facial expressions on people, the deaf or hard of hearing can't read lips, etc.
Not true, the dramatically lower rate of the flu and common cold this year directly point to beneficial impacts of masks (and social distancing) on disease transmission.
Does it point to that? Or is the flu down this year because much of the country is either working remotely, not working, remote learning, etc? Unlike covid, children are actually carriers of the flu. Or are you asserting none of the other variables played any role in a reduced flu season and its proof positive that masks work and are the sole reason for the flu being light this year?

*Edit*

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... demic.html

"The mere presence of the coronavirus may have also played a role in suppressing flu cases, said Dr. Webby, because there is often just one dominant respiratory virus in a population at a given time. “One tends to keep the other out,” he said."

Good read
Last edited by Somewhat of a Prick on Tue May 11, 2021 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

docinco wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:19 am hope somebody can help me out here. we've had no flu season 2020-21, mirroring the experience down under--oz and nz. but masks don't work?
What makes you think it's that masks are doing the job, and not that everyone on the planet is being forced to stay home and not travel? I'm going to take a wild guess that not sharing office space with coworkers with germ-factory kids that aren't spreading flu at school is going to have infinitely more of an impact, considering that masks haven't demonstrated a difference anywhere in the world regardless of compliance or mandates.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

crossfitter, I'm not a scientist but, yes, I tend to trust them as well as doctors. Especially when there is a large consensus and it seems like common sense. They aren't asking me to believe in Bigfoot.

Since this virus spreads in aerosol form, wearing my KN95 mask makes sense to me. Maybe I will have worn it all these days for nothing. If that is proven down the road, I will be comfortable knowing that I tried to help. I don't want to get sick and wouldn't want to get anyone else sick, so I'm willing to try. Now that I'm vaccinated, I wear it in less situations.

I'm not a pro-masker, I'm a anti-getting-sicker. I have no team, I just care about my health, my family, and that of our country.

/done
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
zerosignal28
14ers: 49 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by zerosignal28 »

Can we talk about the negative social aspects that masks also have? Nobody is talking about what this is going to do to people in the long run, especially kids. I watch my 6 year old daughter show up to school where she is forced to wear one and it breaks my heart. The so-called "benefits" of wearing masks are a joke compared to the issues that are being ignored.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

I love you Bill.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

So the masks are never going away?
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

zerosignal28 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:27 am
Can we talk about the negative social aspects that masks also have? Nobody is talking about what this is going to do to people in the long run, especially kids. I watch my 6 year old daughter show up to school where she is forced to wear one and it breaks my heart. The so-called "benefits" of wearing masks are a joke compared to the issues that are being ignored.
Care to actually elaborate? This post doesn't say anything of substance.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

crossfitter wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:26 am
docinco wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:19 am hope somebody can help me out here. we've had no flu season 2020-21, mirroring the experience down under--oz and nz. but masks don't work?
What makes you think it's that masks are doing the job, and not that everyone on the planet is being forced to stay home and not travel? I'm going to take a wild guess that not sharing office space with coworkers with germ-factory kids that aren't spreading flu at school is going to have infinitely more of an impact, considering that masks haven't demonstrated a difference anywhere in the world regardless of compliance or mandates.
I just showed you the graph that refutes your statement. You sure spend a lot of time pounding the table about nobody presenting contradictory information, only to ignore it when presented... pretty weak sauce s**t, bro.

And, I get that the study ends before the second wave, but it nonetheless shows a clear, definitive, and statistically significant impact of masks. So, stop saying there isn't any evidence.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

montanahiker wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:29 am
So the masks are never going away?
FFS, again, you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. There has never ever ever been a legal mask mandate. It's come down to voluntary compliance. You can go to the store without a mask. Everyone is going to think you're an a**hole, but a lot of people seem just fine with that. Others don't have the balls so they just whine about masks on the internet.