Masks in the Mountains

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Will you wear a mask on your next 14er ascent?

Yes. I will wear 2 masks until told otherwise.
2%
Yes. My mask shows that I care for your health.
8%
Yes. I don't know up from down, but it is important to signal virtue.
2%
Maybe, depends on what the person in front of me is doing.
8%
No. My face is too pretty to hide.
7%
No. The mask thing is so 2020.
3%
No. I read the science and masks outside are absurd.
64%
No. I voted for Trump and I don't think he would approve.
6%

Total votes: 173
ReginaThomas
14ers: 45 
13ers: 99 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Masks in the Mountains

Post by ReginaThomas »

I’m fully vaccinated. But even before masks outside on hiking trails made no sense. We live in a tiny town so I absolutely still wear masks inside. I usually toss one in my pack though. I learned from ski season that they are substantially more comfortable than a balaclava and keep your face nice and toasty! :lol:
RETEP 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

My body, my choice😬
markoboston
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markoboston »

I carry a mask in my pocket. If I'm going to be near someone else wearing a mask, I put mine on out of respect for their comfort level. For all I know, they might have a compromised immune system or something. No need to make someone uncomfortable when it's so easy for me to put it on. But once I'm 30 feet away, the mask will come off. There's no conceivable risk to them at that distance, and fresh air is a big part of my reason for being out there.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

CoHi591 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:50 am whether or not it'd be scientifically possible for me to get them sick, it's just a way to show a little bit of respect/care.
You're not wrong, and I do the same.
But it does wonderfully illustrate the incongruence between the "follow the science!" mantra and the hyper politicization of masks (and everything else).
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

RETEP 1 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:06 am My body, my choice😬
yeah... good luck with that. :(
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

pvnisher wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:31 am
CoHi591 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:50 am whether or not it'd be scientifically possible for me to get them sick, it's just a way to show a little bit of respect/care.
But it does wonderfully illustrate the incongruence between the "follow the science!" mantra and the hyper politicization of masks (and everything else).
I don't know, to me when people see me coming down the trail and pull off to the side to quickly put a mask over their face isn't a sign of respect. Its rude, like I'm some diseased plague-ridden beast coming to get them sick. As noted, these types are not following the science whatsoever. Its just paranoia at this point

Meh
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

The science, the statistics and common sense all point towards masks on the trail as being completely useless. If you do it on account of others unreasonable paranoia, so be it. But if this is gonna be how it is moving forward indefinitely, we're in for a long ride. With that being said, I've never worn a mask on a trail, nor my kid, nor anyone I've ever hiked/skied/etc with and I've have little to no issues. A couple confrontations but it was clear these people had some mental issues/disconnects. And I'm talking Front Range/Open Space popular trails. In the mountains is beyond silly. I remember sitting around a campfire last summer with a couple people who said they were worried about it, and worried for their parents (in this case their parents were fitness freaks in their early 60's), yet they were at a campfire with numerous people from numerous households practicing exactly 0 covid measures. 2020-21 has been the era of the Virtue Signaler.
RETEP 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

shelly+ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:20 am
RETEP 1 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:06 am My body, my choice😬
yeah... good luck with that. :(
Riiiight😂😂😂
zerosignal28
14ers: 49 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by zerosignal28 »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:59 pm
pvnisher wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:31 am
I don't know, to me when people see me coming down the trail and pull off to the side to quickly put a mask over their face isn't a sign of respect. Its rude, like I'm some diseased plague-ridden beast coming to get them sick. As noted, these types are not following the science whatsoever. Its just paranoia at this point

Meh
Exactly.

Masks? Is that still a thing? I'm sorry but I just can't help but laugh at what this country has become.
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

I wear a buff in the mountains anyway. And, I'll pull it up when I pass you so that I don't have to breath in your spittle.
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

Everyone in the US who wants a vaccine has gotten one (152M per the CDC have had at least one dose). Now we're waiting on the procrastinators and anti-vax'ers to get off their butts. This pandemic is done, time to stick a fork in it and get the service economy off life-support. And get rid of these stinking masks.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... ion-trends
Roll No Rocks
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

Alpine Guy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:35 pm Everyone in the US who wants a vaccine has gotten one (152M per the CDC have had at least one dose). Now we're waiting on the procrastinators and anti-vax'ers to get off their butts. This pandemic is done, time to stick a fork in it and get the service economy off life-support. And get rid of these stinking masks.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... ion-trends
We don't need to wait on anything. The vaccine is 95% effective and essentially 100% effective at preventing severe disease. It works on the variants too. Once you get a vaccine, it makes covid literally the common cold (or less) and what anyone else does or doesn't do is no longer your problem. For the 0.001% of the population that is unable to get the vaccine, those same people have to avoid every respiratory infection and will continue to have to do so for diseases like the flu which have a much less effective vaccine.

By the end of the month, if not sooner, anyone who wants to be vaccinated will be fully vaccinated. It's over. Move on, let er rip, full throttle, pedal to the metal - burn the masks.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack