Masks in the Mountains

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Will you wear a mask on your next 14er ascent?

Yes. I will wear 2 masks until told otherwise.
2%
Yes. My mask shows that I care for your health.
8%
Yes. I don't know up from down, but it is important to signal virtue.
2%
Maybe, depends on what the person in front of me is doing.
8%
No. My face is too pretty to hide.
7%
No. The mask thing is so 2020.
3%
No. I read the science and masks outside are absurd.
64%
No. I voted for Trump and I don't think he would approve.
6%

Total votes: 173
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Masks in the Mountains

Post by crossfitter »

Rollie Free wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:11 am Regarding the chart above why would a 'fully vaccinated' person find wearing a mask situational? Fully vaccinated sounds like the wrong term to use then.

I read the other day that covid exposure from walking by someone, such as on a trail, is virtually impossible. I liken it to the people driving alone or walking their dog by themselves as people who have a poor understanding of all this.
The only reason the CDC isn't telling fully vaccinated people to return to life as normal is because they are committed to engage in social engineering. They have overstepped their authority as experts of disease control and are now openly lying to the people because they don't trust anyone to think for themselves. Case in point, Fauci lying about masks last march for the purposes of rationing PPE for first responders.

It turns out, when you lie to people for ulterior motives, they stop believing anything you have to say, because who knows what you are going to lie about next. When you don't trust people with the truth, you lose their trust in you.

- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

crossfitter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:41 amThe only reason the CDC isn't telling fully vaccinated people to return to life as normal is because they are committed to engage in social engineering.
I'm shocked you believe this. Wow
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:11 am
crossfitter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:41 amThe only reason the CDC isn't telling fully vaccinated people to return to life as normal is because they are committed to engage in social engineering.
I'm shocked you believe this.
I'm not.
Make wilderness less accessible.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

People generally can't think for themselves, and the more a government gets their people to be dependent on them, the more a country decays into the failed experiments of history's past. Most people have no deep understanding of this, so this concept doesn't influence their thoughts and actions to push back against government overreach. The more we are conditioned to give complete faith and authority in our Federal Government, the more we lose. This is inclusive of states' rights too.

It's more hilarious to me that despite the numerous and nearly infinite historical examples, people have complete faith in the Federal government to manage our lives.

"Educated", lol.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

XterraRob wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:24 am People generally can't think for themselves, and the more a government gets their people to be dependent on them, the more a country decays into the failed experiments of history's past. Most people have no deep understanding of this, so this concept doesn't influence their thoughts and actions to push back against government overreach. The more we are conditioned to give complete faith and authority in our Federal Government, the more we lose. This is inclusive of states' rights too.

It's more hilarious to me that despite the numerous and nearly infinite historical examples, people have complete faith in the Federal government to manage our lives.

"Educated", lol.
Then there are people who exist somewhere between the two bonkers extremes you present. It is possible to have confidence in the government in some cases but not others. Thinking the government seized on an opportunity to social engineer via masks and social distancing during a literal pandemic is fanatical and insane.

"submissiveness" lol
Make wilderness less accessible.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:11 am
I'm shocked you believe this. Wow
I'm shocked you're shocked. CF is a moran. :mrgreen:
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

Dave B wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:28 am
XterraRob wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:24 am People generally can't think for themselves, and the more a government gets their people to be dependent on them, the more a country decays into the failed experiments of history's past. Most people have no deep understanding of this, so this concept doesn't influence their thoughts and actions to push back against government overreach. The more we are conditioned to give complete faith and authority in our Federal Government, the more we lose. This is inclusive of states' rights too.

"Educated", lol.
Then there are people who exist somewhere between the two bonkers extremes you present. It is possible to have confidence in the government in some cases but not others. Thinking the government seized on an opportunity to social engineer via masks and social distancing during a literal pandemic is fanatical and insane.

"submissiveness" lol
It's pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that the only reason the CDC isn't telling vaccinated people that they are good to go is because if they do they lose all control over people that aren't vaccinated. And I have no doubt that half the country loves this top-down control for the sake of "the greater good", but you're lying to yourself and everyone around you if you don't believe that's exactly what's happenning.
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers

ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

crossfitter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:41 am The only reason the CDC isn't telling fully vaccinated people to return to life as normal is because they are committed to engage in social engineering.
This is absurd.
crossfitter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:41 am They have overstepped their authority as experts of disease control and are now openly lying to the people because they don't trust anyone to think for themselves. Case in point, Fauci lying about masks last march for the purposes of rationing PPE for first responders.
There's some truth to this. I think there various factors at play that explain the liberal circus around covid. Hard to dissect in one sentence. But one factor that often gets overlooked is corporate lobbying. There were major corporations that profited tremendously from the pandemic, Amazon and Walmart just to name two. They are in no hurry to end the fearmongering or lift restrictions since keeping people at home leads to higher revenues. Another corporation profiting tremendously is Pfizer. We could probably live with Covid as an inconvenience like the Flu if we focused on just vaccinating those at risk. In fact, we most likely will regardless. But Pfizer definitely prefers that all Americans get the vaccine, regardless of age and health status. Isn't it curious that the media and government are not focusing on therapeutics for covid? Again, since only a small portion of the pop displays symptoms and an even smaller portion develops a severe case, the profit isn't there as much as it is for vaccines forced upon the entire pop. But to get the entire pop to get the vaccine, the fearmongering must go on:

Spot the only sheep

Spot the hypocrisy

Let me help - Look at "Attend a small indoor gathering..."
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

ker0uac wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:48 am
crossfitter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:41 am The only reason the CDC isn't telling fully vaccinated people to return to life as normal is because they are committed to engage in social engineering.
This is absurd.
I think people are getting way too caught up in the wording "social engineering" and think that I am implying the installation of some new world order. Perhaps it is my fault for using such loaded words.

What I am intending to convey is that the CDC is manipulating public perception and behavior by being intentionally dishonest and excessively risk-averse. They are playing games by deceiving people into being extra cautious to achieve their end goal, rather than giving us the best and most accurate information and allowing individuals to make their own risk assessments.

These are the same people that tell you not to eat raw cookie dough, because "it's dangerous"
https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/communic ... dough.html

supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (114)

Post by supranihilest »

ker0uac wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:48 amIsn't it curious that the media and government are not focusing on therapeutics for covid?
Isn't it curious that the media and government are not focused on therapeutics for smallpox, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, HPV, etc.?

Wait, not it's not, because achieving herd immunity through vaccination is better than endlessly treating outbreaks with therapeutics. :roll:
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

supranihilest wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:58 am
ker0uac wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:48 amIsn't it curious that the media and government are not focusing on therapeutics for covid?
Isn't it curious that the media and government are not focused on therapeutics for smallpox, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, HPV, etc.?

Wait, not it's not, because achieving herd immunity through vaccination is better than endlessly treating outbreaks with therapeutics. :roll:
78% of people hospitalized for covid were overweight. How many lives could have been saved if we spent the last year telling people to get off the fat asses and run, instead of shuttering them inside and giving them free donuts? But instead, Americans listened to dear leader and 42% gained an average of 29 pounds.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/09/fitness ... eight.html

supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (114)

Post by supranihilest »

crossfitter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:04 am
supranihilest wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:58 am

78% of people hospitalized for covid were overweight. How many lives could have been saved if we spent the last year telling people to get off the fat asses and run, instead of shuttering them inside and giving them free donuts? But instead, Americans listened to dear leader and 42% gained an average of 29 pounds.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/09/fitness ... eight.html
Which has exactly zero to do with my post. "Get exercise!" is not therapy for someone who has contracted COVID.