Elbert, Massive, La Plata, Harvard in 4 days Advice - Camping and Order

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jcrom777
Trip Reports (0)

Elbert, Massive, La Plata, Harvard in 4 days Advice - Camping and Order

Post by jcrom777 »

Looking to do these 4 peaks in 4 days in July. Main thing I am looking for is a good recommendation for a basecamps. I'd love a secluded dispersed spot that's still accessible to each. Maybe something down Halfmoon or Winfield? I don't mind setting up camp twice if needed.

Then also any advice on order would be well received. I'm thinking of doing La Plata first to get legs warmed up. Then Massive, Elbert and finishing with Harvard. On Harvard still contemplating whether I'll backpack in the night before to save a few miles on summit day but that's tough after a full day of clmibing.

Any additional advice also welcome.

Thank you!
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Elbert, Massive, La Plata, Harvard in 4 days Advice - Camping and Order

Post by Rollie Free »

You don't really need to backpack to Harvard unless of course you just want to. The distance kind of had me thinking that before I did it but its really a pleasant hike and goes faster than you might think. The elevation is very gradual until you hit the mountain proper in the last mile or so.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

for elbert/massive there is dispersed camping along half moon rd 2wd
few spots on n cottonwood creek - harvard 2wd
for la plata you can check down 82C if you have 4wd, otherwise probably best to camp somewhere in arkansas valley

that said vanlife people and dudes with trailers seem to take up permanent residence in arkansas valley during the summer, having a 4wd is useful because you can drive rougher roads than vanlife people. if you're there on a weekend youll need to get creative

a secluded drive up spot is a rare sight there in the summer time
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I thought harvard from the trailhead was fine. It is a very pleasant hike and did not seem long.
I have also camped up higher in that valley and it was really nice.
I thought the longest hike of those 4 was massive and seemed like it took quite a while.
All of them are fun.
Enjoy.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

I don't think the order matters too much. They all have very similar elevation gain, just Massive/Harvard are longer. Depends on if you want steeper but shorter, or vice versa. Obviously doing Elbert and Massive back to back makes the most sense since they are right next to each other on the same road. I'd also recommend Massive SW slopes over the standard route. A standard SUV should be able to get you very close to the TH, but obviously check reports as the date gets closer.

Both Halfmoon Rd and CR390 (Winfield Rd) have plentiful dispersed camping, but hardly what I'd call secluded. Both roads quite literally have hundreds of sites. If you arrive on a weekend, expect 90%+ to be filled. Lesser amounts on a weekday, but still a lot of people. Also CR390 doesn't make much sense for those peaks (unless you are looking at La Plata's alternate route). Like cotton said, you can try 82C depending on your vehicle, otherwise there is a lot of spots off CR 24 just east of Twin Lakes. Again, its going to be packed, but I've always been able to find something.
jcrom777
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jcrom777 »

Thanks already for all the feedback. On Harvard, definitely now thinking that I'll do as day trip just for timing sake and with you all's reassurance that the length doesn't make it too difficult.

I do have a lifted 4runner so going with SW route of massive and SW ridge for La Plata to hopefully avoid some of crowds as well as gaining some extra elevation via vehicle. I'm all about making it easier while enjoying the challenge.

After I posted this I started looking into the area more and there's a Lost Canyon Road that has dispersed camping along it that I may check out. Might be able to avoid some vanlife/RV people that way. I'd love a nice central spot so I don't have to tear down camp more than once but still considering just camping near Trailheads on each. Obviously wouldn't need to move for elbert and massive if i set up in between.

Anyone have opinions on East vs NE for Elbert? Was thinking just NE but if East has less crowds or something I might go that route.
skippyville
14ers: 41 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skippyville »

I think all four of these are pretty similar via the standard routes. I did do Massive via SW slopes and highly recommend it. I love 14ers that have different 'ecosystems' in the climb and the SW slopes definitely had that. I also did La Plata via the SW Ridge and found it very uncrowded (though not as interesting as Massive, at least to me). I will say of these four peaks, I would rank order them: (1) Harvard (lovely trail, really fun little scramble at the end); (2) Massive; (3) La Plata, and (4) Elbert. Like all of us, I love all 14ers but Harvard is really special in my view. I also thought it was a pretty robust day hike.

Finally, when I did Harvard, I saw a number of tents in the basin, really strung out over quite a bit of distance. The basin seemed to be replete with many great camping sites--flat, ample water and shade, etc. But, you wouldn't have them to yourself and as others have noted, you don't save that much elevation gain that way. But to me, there were some CHOICE spots to be found. I'm not much of a camper (more out of necessity than desire) but those Harvard sites, I'd camp there just to camp.
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

jcrom777 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:12 pm Anyone have opinions on East vs NE for Elbert? Was thinking just NE but if East has less crowds or something I might go that route.
I would vote East for the views of Twin lakes. Or via Black Cloud since that is probably the most scenic of all the routes, plus it fits your trip theme of the non-standard, less populated routes.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

jcrom777 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:12 pm Thanks already for all the feedback. On Harvard, definitely now thinking that I'll do as day trip just for timing sake and with you all's reassurance that the length doesn't make it too difficult.

I do have a lifted 4runner so going with SW route of massive and SW ridge for La Plata to hopefully avoid some of crowds as well as gaining some extra elevation via vehicle. I'm all about making it easier while enjoying the challenge.

After I posted this I started looking into the area more and there's a Lost Canyon Road that has dispersed camping along it that I may check out. Might be able to avoid some vanlife/RV people that way. I'd love a nice central spot so I don't have to tear down camp more than once but still considering just camping near Trailheads on each. Obviously wouldn't need to move for elbert and massive if i set up in between.

Anyone have opinions on East vs NE for Elbert? Was thinking just NE but if East has less crowds or something I might go that route.
If you wanted to backpack, and you don't want to do the Havard columbia traverse, maybe consider camping in between Harvard and Columbia and getting both on successive days.

And yes to the SW ridge of La plata, I thought it was very pretty back there.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Camping was rather crowded last year with few recreational alternatives.
This year I predict dispersed camping will be super crowded with still most cultural events shut down and many parks requiring reservations. Its probably going to be like a shopping mall lot before Christmas.
jcrom777
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jcrom777 »

I have no doubts it will be overcrowded. I feel like as long as there isn't someone's tent right on top of me I'll be okay with it. Looking at Canyon Trail Road or Flume Gulch Road as possible dispersed sites hoping that they may be "less occupied." If anyone has info on them that'd be great.

Hadn't really considered Black Cloud. Guess I thought doing Elbert's more difficult route on top of trying the others might be too much but what's a mile... mile and a half and a thousand feet right? At Class II it can't be too technical. Just have to do some extra cardio before I go.
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

Why not hit Columbia, too, while you're on Harvard?
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE