San Luis Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
NatDog
14ers: 58 
13ers: 33 2
Trip Reports (2)

San Luis Peak

Post by NatDog »

Anyone have recent info on the standard NE Ridge route on San Luis or the Stewart Creek trailhead? Reports from mid-May last year suggest that most of the route had already melted out but this year's snowpack looks to be a bit deeper in the Upper Rio Grande Basin than in 2020. Sat images seem to show that at least the first few miles from the trailhead are dry but I am hoping someone can confirm.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Re: San Luis Peak

Post by SurfNTurf »

I have a picture of much of the upper mountain from my Phoenix TR posted last week. Check it out for recent beta. The Creede area seemed to be largely dried out below 10-10.5k, with only intermittent snow depending on aspect above that. Didn’t have eyes on any of those caldera backroads from the east, though.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

The road is usually closed at a FS gate a LONG way away frim the TH. A more relevant question might be if the road is yet open. (I have no idea).
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Open season is given as June on the FS website. But try calling the Gunnison office to get confirmation-
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gmug/abo ... st/offices
CochetopaClif
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CochetopaClif »

That gate should be open on May 15th or as they get to it after that date. The creek crossings could be more adventurous on the road than anything you'd probably encounter on the trail this time of year.
Up and up...
NatDog
13ers: 33 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by NatDog »

Thanks for the responses. I called the FS in Gunnison yesterday and they confirmed that access to the trailhead is open.
CochetopaClif wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:26 am That gate should be open on May 15th or as they get to it after that date. The creek crossings could be more adventurous on the road than anything you'd probably encounter on the trail this time of year.
Yeah, this is actually what I was most concerned about. But it looks like peak discharge won't happen until next month.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I hiked San Luis last June 20th from the Eddiesville trailhead. I went up the east slopes route via stewart creek.
The stream crossings were very easy, maybe 4 to 6 inches deep. They have put down large cement slabs in the creek at both crossings making it nice and easy to get across.
I encountered at least 50 downed trees last year between mile 1 and 4 on the trail. Mostly damaged beetle kill trees downed by strong winds earlier last June.
IIRC, I believe most of these have been cleared per subsequent reports.